Videos: Why No Overnigting. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow Videos: Why No Overnigting.

If you ever wondered why so many cities have laws about overnighting. Here are a few videos which have some of the reasons (mainly in California):

The age old problem of a few slobs ruining what could be a nice option. Shows what population boom can cause.

Just interesting videos which I wanted to pass on. Not advocating anything for others to do, or advocating any laws or rules, except to encourage all of us to be wise in what we do while out in our RVs.

I did not notice any TTs, let alone any eggs in the videos, unless I missed them.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
you are so right--a few spoiling things for the rest of us.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
If you ever wondered why so many cities have laws about overnighting. (mainly in California)

The age old problem of a few slobs ruining what could be a nice option.

I did not notice any TTs, let alone any eggs in the videos, unless I missed them.
That's because Travel Trailers are not the RV of choice for homeless people; old 18' to 24' Class "C" Motorhomes are. This is very prevalent in Southern California in general, and San Diego in particular. I live on a corner lot in an older neighborhood in "Mid-City" San Diego, and this is the south side of my home:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gate between Motorhomes.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	35311
That's my Fiber Stream behind the gate in my back yard. These motorhomes belong to neighbors who live in apartments and choose not to rent storage. I don't have a driveway and to have just a permitted curb cut will cost $10,000. I usually park in front of the gate and have a 10' x 2' steel plate that I drag out to bridge the curb & gutter to get the trailer in and out.

Full time RV residents (who aren't "Homeless") are why it is so difficult to get campground space on weekends in preferred State and County campgrounds.
RVs flout traffic laws, San Diego Union-Tribune
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
how incredibly brazen of folks to just park and "move in"....an occasional overnight is one thing...but living in front of (or behind) someone else's place takes alot of nerve. i agree, there should be some kind of limitation.
it isn't like there are no campgrounds in which to stay---it seems to be more about getting to live for free.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
The city allows RV parking in the street like that, Fred? Where we live in FL they would be ticketed then towed so fast their heads would spin. NO Street Parking by anybody, not just RV's.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy Parking enforcement is not a high priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
The city allows RV parking in the street like that, Fred? Where we live in FL they would be ticketed then towed so fast their heads would spin. NO Street Parking by anybody, not just RV's.
In the City of San Diego, California, anyone is allowed to park ANYTHING on any street in one spot legally for 72 hours before it must be moved. Vehicles must also be moved periodically to allow for street sweeping in accordance with posted signs. The streets in my neighborhood are swept once every 14 days:
  • East side on Mondays
  • West Side on Tuesdays
  • South Side on Wednesdays
  • North Side on Thursdays

Each infraction is a $35 ticket. A stolen car was abandoned in front of my house once. It took multiple complaint calls over 6 weeks to get it towed away, with 6 yellowed, curled up tickets tucked under the windshield wiper.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Have any of you checked out the van dwelling sites? More and more people are living this way, they're full timing for free.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
Wow, I hope things start to turn around soon for all those stuck on the streets. Makes you thankful for what you've got!
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote