Vintage Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How you determine the price of a TT +40 years old.
No Title Been on a deer lease for years.
Aluminum painted skin. Needs cleaning
Not able to determine mfg.
Interior was redone about 5 years ago. Not in bad shape.
Tires 4 years old.
about 16 foot. with low axle

Are these old campers worth fixing up and is there any problem with being accepted in parks when traveling?
Will there be a problem to obtain a title in Texas. Owner says he never titled it when he bought it 10 years ago and has no way of contacting the previous owner.
Gus B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler Honey
You might try this forum:
http://groups.msn.com/VintageVacationsanti...ssageboard.msnw

The vintage vacations group is more about the "sticky tin" trailers. If you post a picture, they may be able to tell you what kind it is. Your description could be of anything from an airstream (desireable in almost any condition) to something that ought to be torn off the frame and used for hauling trash. The price is also usually more about what the seller thinks it worth.

Im no expert, but if you want to send me a picture, I'll tell you what I can. Be sure you check for water problems, which often show up at the bottom of the walls, rather than where the water enters. Use the buyer checklist from here to give you a starting place.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Here's a couple more links that may help you to figure out what you are looking at

Tin Can Tourists

Vintage Campers Links
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Are these old campers worth fixing up and is there any problem with being accepted in parks when traveling?
My Understanding is that the problem with getting an older trailer into parks is when they want to park them there for the season.
The reason being that once parked in and abandoned the problem is for the park owner to dispose of.
Getting an older model while traveling shouldn't be a problem
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gus there are parks that won't accept a trailer that's more than 10 (+-) years old, and there are parks that won't take 99% of the members of this forum...because our trailers are too SMALL. However, there are plenty of other places for all of us to go
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gus, whatever it is, it will likely be a money pit. Depending on the construction, most of the "stickies" of the '50s and '60s were nothing more than 2x2s stapled onto plywood for the frame and veneer and with aluminum sheeting over them for the skin. Unless it was stored inside and protected from the elements, it likely leaked... somewhere. Not being moved for years, and lightly used, it may not show the dry rot damage until it's moved. It will likely have dry-rot, and likely have lots of dry-rot if it was used and stored anywhere wet.

Unless it's something that you research and find is rare and has value when restored, plan on it being a total frame-off rebuild and a labor of love. Some of the old ones have real value, but most are still just refurbished old trailers when the restoration is done, and the owners have a great time with them. If you have the time, money, space, and energy to undertake that then go for it. If you buy it, and it really is in good condition, you'll be pleasantly surprised and so much the better!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Roger hit the nail on the head. Gus, you may want to read this topic: Rotten Wood, Thanks goodness for FIBERGLASS. There's a link inside the topic that has many pictures of an older stickie and the repairs needed.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
--><div class='quotemain'>
How you determine the price of a TT +40 years old.
No Title Are these old campers worth fixing up and is there any problem with being accepted in parks when traveling?[/quote]

Last summer I tried to sell a 1980 17' fully self contained Prowler. It was in mint condition.
It had A/C, water heater, furnace, pressure water system, range with oven, tires less than a year old and an awning.
Everything worked and it had never leaked. I even included a fairly new equalizer hitch.
The best cash offer I received was $1100.00.
Fortunately for me a neighbor of mine asked if I would be interested in trading for a 14' wide body Burro, Of course I said yes and we traded and I became an Egger.
In my opinion old stick built TT's are a waste of money unless it is in very good shape and you can get it for an excellant price. [Llike almost steal it.]
In California you have to pay all of the unpaid registration fees and penalties to register an unlicensed vehicle. If you do decide to buy it check with the DMV in your state.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
F.G trailer shell

...Please be aware ab rotten floor for F.G trailer due to leak/bad repair. If you think F.G is free of rotten material, pls remember they most have wooden floors. Photos tell a lot of story...Pls look at my Trillium floor due to bad repairs/leakage. I did the repair with F.G resin inside BEFORE do the outside with body filler. The rotten wood is cut off, replaced by new wood with water-proof paint on it. With any big crack, I would start from inside, first with metal/alum. plates bolted or rivetted, then finish the outside. Just share my story...One more thing, I did make drain holes on floor BIGGER a bit, glued a plastic pipe to it, so it stick outside, down-ward ab half inch to prevent...splash( I wish I could do this with...car radiator drain valve)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG520.jpg   IMG521.jpg  

IMG525.jpg   IMG526.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote