On the other hand I once used the paper towel I cleaned up the overflow of Coleman fuel with to start a fire. Mind you it sat there for about 10 minutes in the fire pit while I split some fire wood and built the fire.
Struck a match and reached down to light
the paper towel and BOOM! That cloud
of vapor went off, knocked me on my backside with part of my mustache and eyebrows gone. Kids said "cool! Can you do it again?"
I personally prefer the liquid fuel. Lots more burn time for the same space as a 16 oz. propane
tank Full lantern will last longer than a full propane
tank. But from a safety standpoint you can get "snake bit" by either one.
I wonder if the folks did a deliberate sabotage of the propane
bottle for amusement? Stupid but hey we are talking humans and genius has limits, stupidity not so much.