Vintage Style Awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Vintage Style Awnings

After speaking to a few Scamp owners who were not satisfied with the performance of their Factory Awning, I'm curios as to why more folks dont go with a Vintage Style awning like this? Vintage Trailer Awning

What are the pros/cons folks have found with this style? I think a red/white combo would really set off a white glass trailer.

Any thoughts, concerns, input is welcome.

Thanks!

Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I just purchased one for our trailer. I liked that you didn't have something permanently attached to the outside, just a rail. I have just finished the trailer, so I have not used it yet. We did have a tent that had the same type of awning, you zipped it to the tent and it had two poles that were tied to the ground. We didn't have any real problems with that system. I did modify the trailer one by making a tent pole that goes between the two supporting poles to give some tension. I'm thinking this might keep the middle a little higher; it had a little droop to it on the tent. I would recommend using a tensioning cleat on the support pole rope, a piece of metal that you can adjust the rope tension, as it stretches a little after setting it up.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: melissab... Here's a pic. of us camping at Niagara on the Lake in Aug. This was our Boler with the original awning. I never got a chance to order a new one from VTS. as we sold the trailer to buy "Our Escape Hatch" BTW the smell of the Peaches and Nectarines was intoxicating!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
nectarines.jpg   rope& pole awning.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
My CT came with a vintage awning, I am planning on using a screened enclosure and maybe selling the awning.

You can kind of see my awning here in this pic.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Melissa,
Our 17' Bigfoot came equipped with this style awning and the 30 year old canvas and poles were like new. After putting it up several times, I understand why. It's such an ordeal that it's spent all 30 years in storage. The rail is about 8 feet high and requires a step stool to reach.
It's a 2 person job to run the welt through the rail; one to pull a cord at the far end and one to feed more fabric. Once it's up and staked, the battle begins to keep the canvas tight so the top of the door doesn't rub every time the door opens. And, if it rains the slope of the canvas will trap about 5 gallons of water. It looks cute and may work better on a low 13' trailer; but, mine is going back into storage.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ah-ha! I knew there would be a logical reason. As I looked at the posted pix I was wondering about the looseness. They do look like they are difficult to get or keep taught. I also was wondering about their waterproofness (is that even a word???).

So for those who use screen rooms, shade tents etc instead of awnings how do you snug them against the trailer so rain doesnt run down from the roof between the room and the trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Melissa,
Our 17' Bigfoot came equipped with this style awning and the 30 year old canvas and poles were like new. After putting it up several times, I understand why. It's such an ordeal that it's spent all 30 years in storage. The rail is about 8 feet high and requires a step stool to reach.
It's a 2 person job to run the welt through the rail; one to pull a cord at the far end and one to feed more fabric. Once it's up and staked, the battle begins to keep the canvas tight so the top of the door doesn't rub every time the door opens. And, if it rains the slope of the canvas will trap about 5 gallons of water. It looks cute and may work better on a low 13' trailer; but, mine is going back into storage.
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Melissa, I put on a case awning... it cranks out. It's the same awning Casita puts on their trailers. I couldn't be happier! The problem I see with most small trailer awnings it appears it takes two people to deploy, then you have guy lines, etc. With a case awning I can deploy it myself and there are no extra lines. The legs can be down "carport" style or mounted to the body. It did take having a welder make the mounting brackets though and it's NOT cheap.

Search for an awning by Joy A. I followed her path... if you're interested and if you need help, let me know.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
escapes have a really nice crank out awning......I want one
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #9

Registry
Hi: Bruce Thomas...They're made by Carefree of Colorado. Spirit FX model for the most part. The secret of their sturdyness is the glassed in reinforcing blocks at the mounting points for the arms. Here's a pic of the look behind the glass. It's really dark in there!!!
Attached Thumbnails
dark down here.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Alf,

I hit the light switch back there and almost scared myself to death. What have you got going on?

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
monstertrailer.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #11

Registry
HI: Matt in SV... Guess I haven't seen the light!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
oooh the Creature from the Black Lagoon!

When I bought the case awning, along with all the necessary parts, I also received two rather large heavy plastic blocks. They aren't very thick... maybe 1/4", but about 3x3. The brackets on the body are thru-bolted to these blocks. I'm assuming it's to prevent added stress on the body and to prevent the brackets from pulling out. Whatever brand used on a molded trailer, I'd certainly suggest adding blocks on the back side.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
We are looking for an awning for our Bigfoot 17'....suggestions?
kathy chamblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awnings