Virginia State Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Virginia State Parks

We stayed in a VA state park last night. A Casita 17 was there with us, really nice people. They had a dog with them and were charged $5 for the rather small dog.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Five bucks for us (out of state), five bucks for the dog, and a registration fee. The last time we stayed at a Virginia State park it was $35 for a nothing special non electric site. The advertised price was $22. That was some time ago. Unfortunately many states are following their lead. Lots of hidden fees in the fine print. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Florida
The Casita owner was a senior and a VA resident and really incensed.

We avoid VA parks.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I felt the same way about dog fees in the Va park system until we spent 2 months camp hosting at Virginia Beach and 2 months at Camden Hills SP in Maine. Most dog owners are considerate but unfortunately the folks who don't pick up after their dogs run the program. they take the dogs on the beach take the leash off the dog, the dog runs free for 200 yards does his thing, the owners can't find or don't even bother to look for its deposit so, guess who ends up cleaning up after this slob, the volunteers can't find it someone steps in it, now someone has reason to be mad. I'd bet money that if it happened to many of us we'd be on here advising everyone how dirty Va Beach is, so don't go there. The considerate folks help pay the unconsiderates fine. In june we had some folks beside us that had a large German Shepard, they had forgot to bring something to tie him up, my wife and I had an extra so we loaned it to them. when they left (with our dog line) we spent an hour cleaning up dog poop that they neglected to do. Its not a job I look forward to. I remember not too many years ago dogs weren't allowed at all. i enjoy taking my dog so...........
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
The considerate folks help pay the unconsiderates fine.
I would suggest that punishing good behavior encourages bad.

Quote:
I remember not too many years ago dogs weren't allowed at all. i enjoy taking my dog so...........
At one time Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York all had no pet campgrounds. For the most part thats changed. I suspect they lost too much money. As I said earlier, I don't go to Va state parks because of all the fees.

The Pet fee has nothing to do with poop on the beach. It's a revenue stream. Some parks charge for showers. Some an entry fee. Some a registration fee. I would suggest that alcohol is a far bigger issue than dog poop. Do you think an alcohol fee on all visitors will solve that problem? No, neither do I. Enjoy your trip. We're hunkering down for the deep freeze to come and planning next years adventure. Take care, Raz
Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Florida
I agree Raz. We should not be punishing the majority due to the sins of the minority.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Hey guys I didn't say I agree with it, I'm just saying the way it is. I think there should be a stiff fine for the folks that get caught letting their dogs defecate all over the place. The first time I ran into added expenses was in Colorado and that was in 2006. At that time we didn't have a dog but we got hit for being out of state and what I remember as a user fee, then a paid shower on a 5 minute timer. You all can argue the point if you like, but it is what it is, and it ain't going to get better. Wait till they come up with a dump fee, then we'll have folks pulling over on the interstate and pulling the dump slide. Flying J used to have free dumping for those buying there gas, as you know they charge now because of the slobs that left the place messy All the rules just apply to those who are willing to obey them, the rest of us will pay. something like health insurance, oooops
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Raz

Most state parks view themselves as destinations providing lots of amenities beyond a quiet place to camp. This of course increases the cost. And they are self funding I'm sure. Unfortunately they are pricing themselves out of the one night only just passing through customer. Note the current thread on free camping. I wonder how many of the marginal parks will close? Raz
Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Five bucks for us (out of state), five bucks for the dog, and a registration fee. The last time we stayed at a Virginia State park it was $35 for a nothing special non electric site. The advertised price was $22. That was some time ago. Unfortunately many states are following their lead. Lots of hidden fees in the fine print. Raz
Wisconsin State Parks charges an extra fee for non resident campers plus you have to buy a $35 park pass plus pay an $8 reservation fee if you reserve a site.. If Wisconsin is trying to encourage tourism ,it seem a strange way of going about it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Registry
Hello Norm and Ginny... We were the couple in the Casita . I think the hidden cost at Virginia campgrounds are keeping people from using our State Parks. We were charged $5.00 per night for three nights for our Beagle. We received nothing for this $15.00. No trash cans in camping area to deposit the clean-up and no poop bags were furnished. We were charged $5.00 for calling in to make reservations. Now get this, we were charged $3.00 each for three days to fish off of an old ferry landing. (We paid $20.00 for a book of ten passes). We paid a total of $40.00 in hidden charges. This does not include the $37.00 per night camping charge. No consideration for senior citizens. With less hidden charges perhaps more people would use the State Parks. Tom & Sandra B
TomB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #11

Virginia
Registry
Hello Norm and Ginny... We were the couple in the Casita . I think the hidden cost at Virginia campgrounds are keeping people from using our State Parks. We were charged $5.00 per night for three nights for our Beagle. We received nothing for this $15.00. No trash cans in camping area to deposit the clean-up and no poop bags were furnished. We were charged $5.00 for calling in to make reservations. Now get this, we were charged $3.00 each for three days to fish off of an old ferry landing. (We paid $20.00 for a book of ten passes). We paid a total of $40.00 in hidden charges. This does not include the $37.00 per night camping charge. No consideration for senior citizens. With less hidden charges perhaps more people would use the State Parks. Tom & Sandra B
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I agree Raz. We should not be punishing the majority due to the sins of the minority.
So... in what parallel universe does that NOT happen?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #13

Virginia
Registry
Two post ???
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #14

Florida
Floyd,

Being an Atlas Shrugged fan, it never hurts to remind people of what reality should be.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16