Virus', spyware, etc. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
The Mac I am using right now is not only gorgeous to look at but just FEELS rock solid and smooth. I don't feel like I'm constantly on the front line of some battle against viruses and sypware.

Right On! I'll spend my time using a machine that is capable and ready when I need it and not spending time cleaning, re installing, formatting, re installing, cleaning, worrying, downloading fixes, security updates, virus definitions updates...etc...etc..

But, that's just me...

Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...not spending time cleaning, re installing, formatting, re installing, cleaning, worrying, downloading fixes, security updates, virus definitions updates...etc...etc..
A quick look at Apple's web site confirms that they, like every other responsible software vendor, has a series of security updates and patches which you should download. You also need them to use the Apple software with new devices and new versions of some software. Viruses are for Macs too, and thus the virus detector and associated definitions updates are applicable in Macs as well.

Using a Mac without maintaining it is like leaving your house door unlocked because you live in a low-crime neighborhood: you'll probably get away with it because no one is bothering to try to steal from you, but you're kidding yourself if you think you are not at some risk, or that your house is in some way more secure than anybody else's.

Viruses are essentially unknown in the unix world, but companies which depend on the various unix operating systems to run - which is essentially every significant business - still spend a great deal of effort patching and maintaining their systems to address the wide range of faults which are routinely found in software, and fixed.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
California
Quote:
Viruses are essentially unknown in the unix world
I guess I'm nit picking here but I'm one who will likely move to Linux when the next Windows version comes out, so I've done some looking around.

True virii are difficult to propagate in the Linux environment because of the difficulty in finding machines that have low enough file permissions for external sources to write to executable files. If the increasing popularity of Linux results in the average user becoming less fastidious in his or her operating habits, virii may very well become more of a factor. "They" are out there.

But trojans and other malware are another matter entirely, and Linux is just as vulnerable to this as other OSs. When the number of Linux machines reaches some critical mass, the not-so-much-fun will begin.

So, regardless, Brian's comment:
Quote:
Using a Mac without maintaining it is like leaving your house door unlocked because you live in a low-crime neighborhood: you'll probably get away with it because no one is bothering to try to steal from you, but you're kidding yourself if you think you are not at some risk,
is dead on and really applies to any computer connected to an external network and even it's on a dial-up connection.

I'm curious: Mike, judging from your past avatar, I think you're a Linux guy. Do you worry about this?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #18

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
I don't have the slightest idea of what you guys are talking about, I guess ignorance is bliss, I do have a question. If this stuff is being piggybacked in on service packs how come everyone that is using that MS program doesn't get it and if they do how do you recognize it
Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #19

California
Quote:
If this stuff is being piggybacked in on service packs how come everyone that is using that MS program doesn't get it and if they do how do you recognize it
That, Bill, is the question. If the update is infected, then he didn't get it from Microsoft but some other party that was distributing tainted goods. Mysteries abound. Wish Harold would tune back in with some more details. If he's right about what's going on, it's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I agree completely with Bill's comments. Viruses (virii?) are just rare in the unix world, rather than impossible; it's that issue of who is a target, again. All those poorly secured Windows machines are ripe for the picking. So, don't be a target, or get security if you are...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #21

I'm curious: Mike, judging from your past avatar, I think you're a Linux guy. Do you worry about this?

Oh, I just figured that out.........you have me mixed up with our Web Guy, who is an infinitely more experienced user than I.

Of course I don't take anything for granted, but I see the constant tending that Windows users seem to be doing to keep safe and afloat and frankly it looks like a vicious cycle perpetuated by a bad OS platform. I'm no expert, just an end user.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #22
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Wow, Mike T. That's disgusting!
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #23

---Attachment removed.....I thought it was funny but perhaps it crossed the line a little. I hope no one was offended!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
---Attachment removed.....I thought it was funny but perhaps it crossed the line a little. I hope no one was offended!

I liked it. I feel like that every day at work. Then I go home to my Mac. aaaah, serenity.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #25

California
Quote:
Oh, I just figured that out.........you have me mixed up with our Web Guy
Oops, Mike T., sorry. I should have made it clearer that I meant Mike Sanders.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #26

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I don't know where this topic is going,BUT lets keep it on topic about virus,not comparisons about other computor types.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Oop. Sorry, Mike T. I forgot the little winky guy and/or maybe also my favorite, the jester
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1981 17 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Harold Dean
Well as you can see, it has been a long while since I have been on the forum since I sold my trailer and haven't checked in for awhile. I tracked the piggyback to one of the alternate sites MS directs you to when they are overloaded and it seems they have a habit of doing this to systems they no longer want to support as they are in the business of selling new product. I informed them and the alternate download site and even after I provided the alternate site with a file, they still disavowed any knowledge. My ISP done some checking and stated categorically it wasn't coming from them but did detect it in the download from the alternate when I provided them with the file info. I have since changed to 2000 Professional and I don't get the same trojan, but once in awhile, I pick up another type of malware that manages to get past the firewall. I have learned to keep a spare harddrive with all of my data on it and when the one in use gets infected, if I can't disinfect it, I just swap and slave the original harddrive, reformat, do a military wipe, reformat again and reload it from the clean hard drive before I ever go back on the internet. I have Windows update set up to download the update on my command to an external usb flash drive which I then run through another machine for an Anti Virus search. I haven't picked up anything on the updates since I stopped using the alternate sites. Thanks to all who offered advice and for their attempts to help me overcome this problem. Hope no one else ever has to go through with this. I was reduced to using a machine with 833mhz chip and 512mb ram until I got this resolved. This was one of the methods that allowed me to finally segregate the problem. The bot is written to only take advantage of high speed machines with enough memory to capture, hold and forward their garbage. If I had the room in my den to have several machines, I would only use the slow machine to run internet on and save the high speed, large memory for my DVD transcriptions but I have to use the same machine for everything. Hope everyone else is well. Harold