Visit to Egg Camper Plant - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Visit to Egg Camper Plant

After researching and asking questions on forums for the past year about various campers, I have decided that a fiberglass camper is what I want and my search has narrowed to Egg Camper or Lil Snoozy because of my 6'4" height. Having never stepped foot in a fiberglass, I made a detour recently on vacation to visit the Egg Camper plant in Grandville, Michigan. I made arrangements with Jim to meet him one morning at the plant. When I say "plant", I was surprised at what a small operation it is as it was basically a large garage. Jim is a pleasant fellow, and immediately it became clear that he is a mechanical genious. He showed me a model ready for pick up, going over every detail carefully, answered all questions, and was quite friendly. The Egg Camper was awesome. Stepping inside, I had plenty of head room, although being only 17', I do wonder about feeling claustrophobic, but I will get use to it. It is built very simplistic, purposely according to Jim to hold the cost down. I guess the only drawback was the mattress, which was maybe 4" foam type that I could add some padding for comfort. But plenty of head room lying down. Simple kitchen lay out, microwave, portable electric burner, frid, and sink. Really all I would need. He recently added LED lights around the outside, a nice feature.

Glad I made the visit. I am 99% sold although I would like to view a Lil Snoozy. Jim did warn me that due to continuing government regulations and the rising cost of resin, that the Egg Camper may go over 20K next year. And keeping careful watch for the past year, they don't come up for sell very often on the internet. Jim even mentioned he couldn't be certain how much longer he will make the Egg Camper due to the cost of manufacturing and his interest in other projects.

My goal is to have a camper and vehicle to pull it in 4 years when I retire. At this point, I have no reservations in ordering an Egg Camper. Simplistic, but all a person would need. I would have to make modifications as the Egg is all electic, and many places I go and would like to camp would be off grid. Definitely would like to add propane and solar. Other than that, no complaints. I was very impressed with the Egg. Saving $$ and hope to be able to purchase in another year or so, and be able to make modifications and test trips before I retire and take to the road.

Glad I made the trip! I have read nothing but good things about the Egg Camper, and after seeing one in person, I love it!
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
It is interesting that given your constraint of interior height you end up with two choices that both are apparently (and currently) electric only. I personally am removing the propane from my Scamp as it does not fit my plans, wants and needs. I am impressed in your dedication to the process of choosing a FGRV and wanting to visit the plants. It should help a lot in you making a comfortable decision, good luck!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have been to Grandville too, and yes it is a small operation. I think with the low volume Jim is putting out a quality product with lots of attention to getting things right.

Lil Snoozy's place is fairly small also. One big factor is which floor plan you prefer. Personally, between the two, I favor the rear entry, large windows, and rigid shell design of the Snoozy, yet I have a bit more confidence in the workmanship at Eggcamper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Mark - Another consideration might be the Oliver. When you go to the Snoozy plant, make a detour for Hohenwald, Tennessee. Richard is very personable, and can answer all questions. I was set on a Snoozy, and visited both plants, but the quality of the Oliver sold me.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've had an EggCamper for a bit over three years. It, too, was all electric but I had a local RV shop install propane, both furnace and cooktop because the factory 1000 watt electric heater just couldn't do the job in the winter, especially when on the way south. As for the mattress, if you don't like it, don't buy it. We did not. Bought a memory foam mattress at Walmart for under 4100. Also did not buy the dinette cushions. Bought two , again at Walmart, because we knew we'd never have anyone with us so no reason to use the dinette for extra sleeping. A trip back to the factory to have an awning installed since installation required drilling through the hull. Thoughts were "if it gets screwed up, it's their problem to solve, not ours. " Went fine. It has never been back to the factory for any kind of repair, warranty or no Watch your head going in and out. The door is short.t. It has been to Montana & Idaho, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and I wintered in it last winter in Arizona. Never had any kind of issue, never a flat tire or anything. One thing I do not like about the new ones is he has put the spare tire in the closet. Ours is on the back bumper. For some reason he seems to think there's a legal issue involved. I see that many, maybe even most, stickies have the spare on the bumper.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I haven't measured it, but the Parkliner claims to be 6' 5" and you can get propane for stove, refrigerator, hot water, and heat.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Just checked out a few Oliver sites. Very nice but one big drawback for me would be the 3500 dry weight on the 17'er. I am wanting to travel as cheap as possible, and don't want a gas guzzler to pull my trailer. Egg Camper is 2000 lb dry weight. I'm thinking a mid size SUV or mini van to pull it. Doubt if either can pull a 3500 dry weight, especially in mountains. But something to think about - definitely like the more luxurious Oliver.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Hello Mark,
We have several customers using the Tacoma's that work very well.
Just thought I would mention it.
"Happy camping"
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes about Oliver plus they have that extendable tongue which helps a lot.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner is 2100#s dry weight.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Egg Camper is 2000 lb dry weight. I'm thinking a mid size SUV or mini van to pull it.
What's included in that dry weight?
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
What's included in that dry weight?
In general, nothing but a non-optioned trailer with nothing in the tanks, and nothing else stored.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Michigan
In the case of mine, I believe it included the microwave, air conditioner, spare tire and am not sure about the battery.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Jim sent back an e-mail and he said they leave the factory at under 2,000 lbs. If I assume the price list he sent along was the standard configuration they it includes the following.

All electric Eggcamper
  • Open floor plan side dinette
  • Dexter torflex axle,bolted
  • 2" coupler w/jack (2) Rear stabilizers Electric brakes w/breakaway s/w
  • 14" Radial Tires
  • Safety lock door, Screen door
  • White easy clean molded interior
  • 14 gal fresh water system
  • City water system
  • Power roof vent (one centered in the trailer)
  • 30 Amp Power-Converter-Charger
  • Shower /Toilet
  • POU Hot Water system (1,425 watts)
  • Norcold 12v DC Refrigerator (Norcool NR751)
  • Air-conditioning (5,000 btu)
  • Heat system (1,000 watts)
  • 4" foam home size full mattress

So I don't see a Microwave in the list which is fine by me as I prefer to pick my own. Personally I'd like to put my own in and use a energy star rated one. They cost about $100-$150 more but the also draw less power which is good when using solar or a generator.

The only real issue I have with the EggCamper is the small 2.7cf refrigerator. I'd rather have a 4.2 cf one such as the truck fridge but it won't fit in the galley. I keep wondering if one might fit in the closet.

Looking at this as much as I have I think one could almost go full electric with the exception of heating. That's one place that I don't want electric. That's really got to be propane since electric heat is just to power hungry if you're not connected to AC power. Maybe fiberglass tank, to keep the weight down, and a Propex HS2211 heater and the Malaga 5 water heater. You can get the water heater as propane only or propane/electric. The nice thing is that both of these are sealed and the heater mounts outside under the trailer.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #15

Michigan
When I bought mine there was ONLY a 2 gallon electric water heater because he wasn't building any with propane any more. Has that changed?