Visiting Lil Snoozy Factory 7/21 - Likely Putting down a Deposit - Questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
We hear horror stories all the time about homeowners (or would-be homeowners) who paid a contractor up front and never got what they paid for. My uncle trusted the builder and paid money up front because the builder said he didn't have the money to buy the materials, and that builder took the money but never finished the house (went bankrupt).

I know that a trailer mfr is not a building contractor, but in either business a company that is too close on their cash flow is only one little problem away from disaster. Not saying this is the case with Snoozy, because I don't know their exact situation. However, it does pay to be wary and careful. A financially sound company should have a line of credit that covers their up-front material costs, and at current interest rates it would not cost them an arm and a leg to do so. A firm without such a line of credit would make me wonder if they are stingy or if they can't get credit (and if the latter, should I be concerned about why they can't?).

By way of comparison, Escape Trailer's deposit with order is $2500cdn (about $1875 US at current exchange rate). They are a small company, too.

About the trailer being uniquely built: until the build starts, there's nothing unique about it. If a mfr said, pay $1000 now and then 2 weeks before we are about to start your trailer we need another $9000, that would be a whole lot more reasonable than having your $10K for 6 to 8 months.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
Couldn't agree more about builders and contractors . I would bet this case is different re custom FGTT. But perhaps they're as bad as contractors

Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #17

Name: Fernando
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
New Jersey
Hi
so many options out there.
Good luck to you
Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #18

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I have said my piece in your last post of alternatives to Casita. You have been properly warned by many disinterested third parties as I was by the fine folks on this site about another trailer manufacturer. I am so glad I listened or else I would have been out a lot of money. Hind sight is 20/20. I do not mean to sound rude - I have never met you and have no interest in this situation - my only concern is for you as I was in almost exactly your situation. I was blind to what was going on because I really wanted "brand x'". It did not matter that it did not make financial sense - I wanted that trailer! It was perfect in my mind especially after doing hundreds of hours of research. I still really like "brand x" but it was not to be and that is fine. I have a Casita now that I LOVE even though it may never measure up to what I had built up in my mind - it is the right trailer for us. All I can do is wish you the best and to know I never want to say "I told you so".
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #19

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I wonder if you would consider another kind of trailer? I looked at several options over the years and posted this in another thread but thought it might provoke some thought for you as well. ------- If someone wants a large quality travel trailer that is not too expensive, not too prone to leaks, well built, lightweight, etc....it can be done! I have looked into several options over the years. What I thought would be a good idea would be a large cargo trailer or a horse trailer converted by one of several companies that specialize in doing just this. Making an RV from a cargo trailer or horse trailer. These are available cheap and they are good quality. They are designed for INDUSTRIAL use so you know they are good. All the work is custom and you choose what the layout is, materials, colors, etc... You want all real wood, tile floor, granite countertops, house fridge, house sink, washer/dryer, full bath with tub, real toilet, garage door with parking for a car, drop down outdoor deck, etc... it can all be had for a reasonable cost and much better than the mass produced junk being shoved down our throats.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
I have no problem with a large deposit, roughly at the time construction commences and materials are purchased. It makes complete sense. I have a real problem paying that deposit six months or more before they start working on your unit.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #21

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I tend to agree with all of you in principle .BUT Richard has delivered on all his orders for six years now. I gave him the deposit and he delivered. I would do it again. If I were building a product that I could sell and deliver nine months out and was getting more orders all the time, I would simply tell you to go somewhere else. That other brand with the propane appliances also has rivets through the thin hull, a wood floor, steel painted frame, narrow door and it not nearly as roomy. You can buy one of their layouts. There is generally no customization available. Just two cents from a Snoozy owner. No offense to owners of other brands.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2018 LiL Snoozy
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I tend to agree with all of you in principle .BUT Richard has delivered on all his orders for six years now. I gave him the deposit and he delivered. I would do it again. If I were building a product that I could sell and deliver nine months out and was getting more orders all the time, I would simply tell you to go somewhere else. That other brand with the propane appliances also has rivets through the thin hull, a wood floor, steel painted frame, narrow door and it not nearly as roomy. You can buy one of their layouts. There is generally no customization available. Just two cents from a Snoozy owner. No offense to owners of other brands.
Thanks for mentioning this. I looked at one locally and the owners said they had a great experience purchasing theirs in 2014 and would do it over again as well. I spoke with Richard over the phone last Friday and I could tell just by speaking with him that he takes a lot of pride in what they manufacture.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
When I was talking to Richard back in 2014 about our purchase. He said he wanted to get his product to the point of having no warranty returns. That convinced me to buy. Of course the LS uses some of the same junky accessories as most of the others so that may keep some coming back.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #24

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
Tony, you said you plan to visit the snoozy factory on 7/21. I'll not add anything to the advice you've received here regarding deposits, etc. I will however advise you to bring some cool clothes. I live just up the road from snoozy in columbia and the the forecast is for several days with temps at or above 100 degrees. Factor in our famous humidity and you'll have some seriously high heat indices. This will provide insight as to why people say southerners move so slow in the summer. If you plan to be in the area for a while and need info on what to do and where let me know. The congaree national park is very close and is worth a short (in the heat) visit. Good luck with your trailer decision.

P@
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #25
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
While I personally would not purchase a Snoozy because I want propane appliances for off grid camping without having to deal with a generator, and I find cassette toilets to be a ridiculous method of handling body wastes, there are many owners who love their Snoozies. It comes down to the different strokes concept. However, I have NEVER heard any questionable comments that the company has cheated anyone out of even a single penny or left any customer holding the bag. When I bought my Escape, I paid a $500 deposit. They now require a $2,500 deposit. All I would say is if you want a new Snoozy, pay the required $10,000 and have faith that you will take delivery when expected. If you cannot live with such a large deposit, move on. The bottom line is that any small business owner has the right to dictate contractual terms when it comes to selling his/her product. Is it really that much of a concern? I do not think one could find a current Snoozy owner who would not plunk down 10K if they decided they wanted a newer trailer.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Used? This one might still be available.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-80430.html
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #27

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2018 LiL Snoozy
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Used? This one might still be available.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-80430.html
Thanks - saw this one. I'd really like the 2nd picture window on the passenger side.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #28

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
I think Mike McGee has it right. 40% down half a year (or more) in advance seems excessive. The skeptic in me says he just wants to earn interest on your money in the hot stock market.

Re propane, I am impressed with how well the 'fridge in our Casita runs on propane. It uses very little, so makes state-park camping without hookups much easier.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy