Vitamine B1 as mosquito repellent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Some reading for you about using mosquito coils indoors: https://cameronwebb.wordpress.com/20...aking-us-sick/
Yeah, I only use these next to a window, with every other window open.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Doesn't work when you're hiking however. For that, I just stay close to someone who attracts mosquitoes. Then they usually leave me alone

Lol! The friend or the critters?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Doesn't work when you're hiking however. For that, I just stay close to someone who attracts mosquitoes. Then they usually leave me alone
Similar principle as when you go hiking in bear country. Never go alone, always go with someone that can't run as fast as you!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:21 AM   #24

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I am allergic to deet and mosquitoes so I had to find a solution. I find that well applied, original scent Skin so Soft oil by Avon works completely. When I went to India, mosquitoes swarmed in black clouds and I got no bites. And I don't have to wash it off before bed, like one should with the poisonous kinds, because the oil is good for my skin.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #25

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn w Autistic kid View Post
I am allergic to deet and mosquitoes so I had to find a solution. I find that well applied, original scent Skin so Soft oil by Avon works completely. When I went to India, mosquitoes swarmed in black clouds and I got no bites. And I don't have to wash it off before bed, like one should with the poisonous kinds, because the oil is good for my skin.

It's worth a try. I'm going to get some. Presumably Avon sells on line nowadays. Are there still Avon ladies???
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As I stated above don't use Skin So Soft where there are dangerous mosquito borne diseases. My friends did that in Papua New Guinea. The whole family contracted Malaria.
Avon does sell a spray on repellent that may be better.
One should be careful with more tropical diseases showing up in the US from Zita to Chikungunya, Dengue, West Nile etc.
Since global warming is not an acceptable answer the mosquitoes are wearing jackets to keep warm.
Use whatever you want as long and you are not exposing yourself to any of the mosquito borne problems. Canada is probably OK for Skin So Soft, but not the Southern areas where there are problem areas.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Mosquito repellents.

The new Avon Skin So Soft with Picaridin is sold as a repellent in USA. I'm not sure that all of that product contains it. The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends Picaridin as this quote from Wikipedia states:
"Icaridin, also known as picaridin, KBR 3023, under the INCI name hydroxyethyl isobutyl piperidine carboxylate, and the trade names Bayrepel and Saltidin, is an insect repellent. It has broad efficacy against various insects and is almost colorless and odorless."
For some reason, while recommended and available worldwide, it is difficult to find in USA. The biggest advantage to me, a Canadian who Snowbirds in USA, is that, unlike DEET compounds, it doesn't affect plastic products and doesn't have that 'greasy' feel. Cutter used to sell it in FL but I haven't seen it lately. I have ordered, from Amazon, Sawyer Insect Repellent Lotion with 20% Picaridin at a reasonable price, $8.99 for 4 oz. I'll give it a try.
I was satisfied with the Cutter product.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it is new then OK. The Skin So Soft of the late 90's I don't think had this and gave a false sense of protection.
I know that back then my friend almost lost one of his children.
All 6 of them contracted malaria.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #29

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Icaridin is difficult to find in Canada as well. The Avon stuff is 10% Icaridin whereas the true bug products are 20%, I think.
When I use DEET spray I always walk well away from my trailer to keep it away from any plastic fittings.
Im going to try a multi-prong approach to mosquito control this summer:
Vitamin B1
No bananas
DEET
Avon Skin So Soft
Icaridin
Oral antihistamines. Diphenhydramine at night helps to reduce itching while I sleep. Maybe Allegra for daytime use would also keep the itching down.
I also have have screened shelter and the trailer has good window screens and a screen door.
But I also like walking and swimming and campfires so I just need to be vigilant.
I find the best after bite itch reducer is a hot spoon pressed on the bite (ice works too but I don't have that in the trailer). That will relieve the itching for hours.
Topical antihistamines or analgesics do little to help.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm learning a lot.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #30

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
FWIW- Mosquitoes are attracted initially to Co2 levels around your body.
Living and working in the Central American jungles for 25 years we tried nearly everything.

Vitamins worked about as well as many "conventional wisdom remedies" tucking scented clothes dryer sheets into ones shoes to prevent ticks.

Ahem... Not at all...

We gave up on toxic DEET as it photosynthesized our skin and we would end up getting burned.

Long sleved shirts- never shorts etc. are the best option.
Cover up.

One does stop itching and swelling from bites once you have had a sufficient number and build up a titter.

Only took us about 4-5 years

Now in the Everglades and mosquitoes are knee deep. Many bites but no annoyance from them.

Cheers,
Bat Dude