Vu Cube - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was wondering if anyone here is using a VuCube Satelight System, If so how would you rate it. I have been looking on the net and they seem to be the best of both worlds. It can be moved around and used else where.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I do I do

I love my VuQube. I've had it for a year and half now. I used it heavily on my big trip to the great lakes last summer. It came in handy to watch the weather channel and the nasty weather that was all around during June. I lost local channels when I got about 200 miles from home. All the rest came in wonderfully. I was on the Camping World site recently and noticed that they had the VuQube on sale.

The following is a link to my original post about my VuQube. The poles mounted on the rear bumper didn't work out as I would have liked so I put the poles behind the screen door on the closet wall.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...6&hl=VuQube

A link to the Yahoo Scamper site and my photo folder with pictures of the VuQube on the rear and poles behind the screen door. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/pho...575181/pic/list

Then here's a link to the post on the Casita Travel Trailer forum, it has more information about my setup as well as Gene's. http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index....t=0&start=0

Here's sneak preview of my VuQube
Click image for larger version

Name:	109_4134.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	20682

Attached Thumbnails
109_4189.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone here is using a VuCube Satelight System, If so how would you rate it. I have been looking on the net and they seem to be the best of both worlds. It can be moved around and used else where.
I have never seen this until today. I'm not sure what the benefit is over a winegard crank up other than not having to cut a hole in your roof... eck I hated that part. But I have noggin room too so...
It is not automatic though. I have to crank up to a certain known angle (displayed) and then turn it in the direction of my satellite using mag compass and know declination and listen for the beep and then lock it. I also have a spare tripod dish if I need it (but i haven't). Cost $230 new or $100 ebay used. It would be nice if it was "just turn it on" and it finds the satellite on its own... like the big boys have.

Also it lays down real flat and has minimum drag.

Anyway I am taking it to Alaska.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #4

That's one of the benefits, no holes in roof.

It can be placed anywhere to get a clear southern view of the sky, not limited by being mounted on a roof.

Once you set it towards the southern sky you go inside and use a remote control to move the dish inside the box to the appropriate elevation then rotate it to pickup the satellite signal. I'd rather do this inside at night or in the rain than outside. It generally only takes a moment to find the signal. Manually you have to move the dish very minutely or you are apt to pass the satellite, plus you might not be able to hear or see the sat signal on the TV if you are a solo camper.

I agree it's very pricey but to me it's well worth it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #5

Thanks for your feed back Joy. I have been looking at whats out there. This sounds pretty good.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

I bought a Vu Qube this past weekend. It works just like its advertised. I really like it. As Joy says---Its a bit pricey but is what i wanted.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

Chester,

These fancy gadgets are pretty neat, huh!

I just wish the button for moving the dish sideways had a little lighter touch as the dish moves very slowly and my finger gets tired.

I also put labels on my remote because when you are looking at it the top is south and east is to the left, while west is to the right and you are like the handle north.

I had trouble initially because I was standing with the remote facing the dish and moving the remote to the right thinking the dish was following to the east, well it wasn't it was actually going west. I don't stand facing the dish anymore, that helps. Better to just sit on the couch with a cup coffee or a beer and operate it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Chester,

These fancy gadgets are pretty neat, huh!

I just wish the button for moving the dish sideways had a little lighter touch as the dish moves very slowly and my finger gets tired.

I also put labels on my remote because when you are looking at it the top is south and east is to the left, while west is to the right and you are like the handle north.

I had trouble initially because I was standing with the remote facing the dish and moving the remote to the right thinking the dish was following to the east, well it wasn't it was actually going west. I don't stand facing the dish anymore, that helps. Better to just sit on the couch with a cup coffee or a beer and operate it.
Hi Joy
Yup ---I really like it. I just sit on couch and push the button to the desired location and then have TV if I want it. Yes i agree it does move slow but i think that is so we don't miss the satelite signal. I was using a dish but needed two people to get it to work. I did not like yelling back and forth to wife. Shes happy and I am happy.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #9

The beauty about this setup compared to one thats attached to roof, is that we can move Vuqube around instead of moving trailer to get signal.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #10

I just installed my Vuqube on a tripod.
I found a 4x4 inch square post and drilled a hole throught it. I then screwed a peice of plywood to post. I measured the feet locaton on vuqube and drilled each one out. Feet of vuqube sit in previously drilled holes. Works for me.

Attached Thumbnails
vuqube_1.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
I just installed my Vuqube on a tripod.
I found a 4x4 inch square post and drilled a hole throught it. I then screwed a peice of plywood to post. I measured the feet locaton on vuqube and drilled each one out. Feet of vuqube sit in previously drilled holes. Works for me.

I just need to know... what does this cube do that a portable dish does not?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
It does the same thing but a lot easier and you can sit in your unit to find signal.

Its a one person set up.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Removes about $500 more of your cash

Just a guess......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
It does the same thing but a lot easier and you can sit in your unit to find signal.

Its a one person set up.
ahhhhh it is an automatic remote?
That is a BIG advantage.
My dish on the roof is easy to move around to find a signal but if I am blocked I have to get out the tripod and mount the portable dish somewhere afar.
I am rarely faced with that however since i pick my spots accordingly.
But even then, if there is a problem, I can plug an electronic finder in right at the dish and move it around until the squeal gets loud and then lock it down...
It is still just a one person set up.
You don't have to watch the TV... just listen to the squealer thingy.
The difference being it is not a remote operation.
It would be great if I could sit in my trailer and do all that.

I was getting DTV in the Yukon albeit with some black outs from time to time.

PS the satellite finder (squealer) can be found at any radio shack... cheap.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Removes about $500 more of your cash

Just a guess......
More like $700 CDN
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
chester----is this something you are using both at home and while travelling? is it like a free-to-air satellite receiver? and do you need to purchase a montly subscription??
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
chester----is this something you are using both at home and while travelling? is it like a free-to-air satellite receiver? and do you need to purchase a montly subscription??
At home we have normal satellite . We take our receiver from home with us when going to camp or traveling. The V Qube is a portable dish. This dish can be used at home or on the road. We pay monthly fees for our programming.Here is some info on these units.
http://www.kingcontrols.com/vu_qube/v10.asp
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #18

Chester,

You need to figure a way to lock that puppy down.

Mine is all locked together and locked to the trailer or chained if put out remote from the trailer.

Name:	locked_to_upper_bracket.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	22691

A friend made the plate with a bracket on the bottom which I attached to the VuQube by removing the legs and then adding the plate and putting the legs back on. The black piece inserted into the bracket is a foot for a awning like people use at Flea Markets. It's inverted. A fence pole fits into the awning foot. A hole is drilled through both with a lock securing them together.

Name:	VuQube_locked_to_pole.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	22692

Here's a view where you can see the plate/bracket and foot locked together and locked to the pole.

Name:	pole_lock.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	22693

Here's the pole locked to the trailer chains.

Name:	VuQube.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	22694

Final product
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #19

I agree Joy----I was experimenting with what I had. I used it this last few days while i was traveling. I wanted to make sure it worked as planned. I will now make a steel plate so it can be locked.

Just so everyone knows----The VuQube is useless if stolen because they will need a remote. The remote is registered to that particular Vu Qube.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I like my Vue Qube although I'm not interested in mounting it to the trailer. I went with DirecTV since they had the easiest policy with respect to RV's. The only downside is it's not HD capable. DirecTV requires a special dish type for HD.

I made a little pad out of marine Starboard (UV resistant) that after I find the satellite I stake to the ground. When I pick up the cube because I'm gone for awhile, and then want to set it up again all I have to do is set the feet back in the little pockets to get perfect alignment. Just a little quicker the 2nd and 3rd times I place the qube during a given trip.

I also added a stainless u-bolt bracket to allow me to cable lock it to a tree or the trailer if either is close enough. (I made sure the inside threads didn't interfere with the dish rotating.)

Name:	DSCN0917__Small_.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	22797
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0918__Small_.JPG  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote