VW Diesel Cheating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Somehow I doubt very seriously they will get the maximum fine. I think they will weigh setting a strong example against crippling a large corporation with a major economic presence in the US. Hyundai was fined $100M for fudging MPG numbers. GM was fined $900M for the ignition switch cover-up. This case seems more egregious than the former, but less than the latter.
The fine by the feds could be rather insignificant compared to settling the class action suits that are going to happen when the lawyers get involved. VW has been losing market share in the US for quite some time and this isn't going to help. And by the way, VW closed its manufacturing plant in the US and moved everything to Puebla in Mexico years ago.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatortomk View Post
Sorry, but I don't trust the editors at the NYT to wait until someone digs into the technical details (especially if it could get in the way of a splashy, exaggerated headline). More facts will come out I hope and we'll see.
If you don't trust New York Times to report an EPA release, who do you trust?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Takata Recall.
Sometimes there's a general design failure that does not become obvious in the short term. 12 companies used the Takata airbag component over 19,000,000 vehicles were involved...
That was really the point of my parting shot in the post you cited. We have incredibly high expectations of vehicles: crash-worthiness in every conceivable scenario, accident avoidance technology that eliminates driver error, sports car performance, near-zero tailpipe emissions, very high fuel mileage, reliable for 200K+ miles with little more than oil changes, affordable cost,... And the ability to drag a fiberglass egg over the Rockies!

Engineers do their best to give as much as possible of everything we want, sometimes trying new approaches and sometimes making compromises between cost and performance. And sometimes the long-term unintended consequences of those decisions don't become apparent for years. And when they do begin to show up, it is natural to initially blame driver error or poor maintenance.

When it becomes fraudulent is a grey area.

In VW's case, though, if the accusations prove to be well-founded (thank you for the reminder, Gatortomk), it seems there may have been intentional deception from the beginning. I wonder if a design requirement to meet US emissions standards for diesels through engine management, without the cost and complexity of urea injection, backed VW engineers into a corner and they took the low road out.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you don't trust New York Times to report an EPA release, who do you trust?

So Glenn, you tell me, and I'll see what they're saying. I personally favor the Wall Street Journal, but I'm too cheap to purchase the e-subscription.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
...And by the way, VW closed its manufacturing plant in the US and moved everything to Puebla in Mexico years ago.
I believe the VW Passat is assembled in Chattanooga, TN. The plant opened in 2011 to produce a North America-only version.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My bet is that it was not a corporate decision to install the defeat software in the engine controls, but rather one or more engineers in the engine control division who figured out how to fudge the testing to get the engine through the testing and then the coverup within the corporation etc.
All Diesels have been held at the port of entry this year and probably will be until this is fixed.
The defeat was discovered by students at the University of West Virginia while testing cars on the road vs. in test cells and they asked why the significant difference in the VW results. Funny thing what you might discover while just measuring things and thinking about the results!
This will be a big deal for the VW Diesel program and should make a big difference in how I think about them.
Personally I have found the Diesel to make a great engine and I have put 240,000 miles on my 2009 and since it gave good service and I thought it was time for a newer car for Connie (She Who Must Be Obeyed) we bought a low mileage 2013 Sportwagen.
While the Diesel fuel is more expensive it provides higher mileage and more torque.
The equivalent fuel cost for a gas car would be about a 30 mpg car. Most 30 mpg cars would not have the pulling power of the Diesel.
Oh well we will see what transpires!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I believe the VW Passat is assembled in Chattanooga, TN. The plant opened in 2011 to produce a North America-only version.
If I am not mistaken the Jetta though has been made in Mexico since the early 90's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #22

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am not mistaken the Jetta though has been made in Mexico since the early 90's.
You're right, Carol, (not sure of the dates, though) and never in the US. VW built Rabbits/Golfs at a plant in PA from 1978-1988, an unfortunate venture that lasted longer than it should have by most accounts. The Chattanooga plant is the only other US manufacturing operation I am aware of. I clearly overstated when I said they had a "major US economic presence."
Old 09-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;549066]You're right, Carol, (not sure of the dates, though) and never in the US. VW built Rabbits/Golfs at a plant in PA from 1978-1988, an unfortunate venture that lasted longer than it should have by most accounts. The Chattanooga plant is the only other US manufacturing operation I am aware of. I clearly overstated when I said they had a "major US economic presence."[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is somewhat surprising as they recently laid claim to being the largest automobile manufacturer on the planet.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #24

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
If the EPA is so concerned about pollution maybe they should resolve the pollution problem they caused in the Animus river in Colorado. And before everyone jumps on VW's case lets find out the facts. How much pollution could there be from a car that goes 50 miles on a single gallon of fuel.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #25

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
If the EPA is so concerned about pollution maybe they should resolve the pollution problem they caused in the Animus river in Colorado. And before everyone jumps on VW's case lets find out the facts. How much pollution could there be from a car that goes 50 miles on a single gallon of fuel.
How ironic. In the '70s the US automakers fought like mad to insure that pollution measurements were measured as ppm. VW and the other imports fought for total quantity and lost.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy VW et. al.

We had a gasoline 2001 2.0 VW Golf.

I notice some trucks blowing huge clouds of black smoke...

We now have a PZEV Subaru Outback. (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle)

I thought that PZEV meant that the fuel feed to the engine shut down when coasting, but it really has something to do with the gas tank.

IMHO This thread is skirting political...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #27

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have noticed that some of the late model pickup trucks do spew a lot of black smoke but that is because the owners put some kind of aftermarket chip in them that vastly increases the horsepower and the chips probably say for off road use only and your right Rodger this thread is skirting political whatever that emoticon is but that's kind of hard to avoid with the govment involved.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Financial penalties against large corporations seem to do little to change corporate behavior.
The stockholders and the public bear the cost of the faulty decisions made by coporate executives . Maybe if the executives were subject to fines ,legal costs and imprisonment for their action, things would change but I highly doubt it.