Trailer: small
State

Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #100

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
NPR just ran a story on it. Seems that German consumers are as mad about the VW scandal as anyone for the "stain" it has put on their country's reputation as a world leader in automotive technology, and they have backed off on purchasing VW vehicles, too. The story seemed to imply that German government officials had an idea of what might be going on at VW several years back and warned them not to cheat. VW's response appears to be that they had to do something in order to comply with US pollution standards (read that as California's strict standards for their huge car market) and still be competitive against hybrid technology. I didn't catch all of the details, and apologize for any misrepresentation, but part of the story made it sound like the German government initially turned a blind eye - hoping that VW would clean up their act on their own (or at least not get caught). I guess we all know how that turned out. The piece is probably posted on the NPR website if anyone wants to listen closely to the full story and form their own understanding of the segment....

I don't have numbers for US sales of VW diesels, but the problem now involves 13 million diesel engines in VW's and Audi's world wide market. Hardly the miniscule US market, much less the even smaller California market.

There are emissions standards in almost all of VW's markets and this seems to be spread through out all of them.

California Emissions standards are seen as the gold standard for the world and most manufacturers accept them as a part of being in business in the United States.

German industry has a well earned reputation for doing things right and, as mentioned, finding an intentional chink in that armor will not endear any German citizens to VW.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #101

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...BMW is next to the "Fudge bowl"!!! Wonder how that will effect folks towing with a "Beemer".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #102

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Just to remind folks - politics in the form of opinions on government agencies, repeating the pronouncements of assorted politicians etc. is against the community rules.

As are direct attacks on people or regions where members are from.

Folks don't come here to exchange opinions on the EPA, government, taxes, the politics of different regions of the country, or the proposals of assorted politicians, there are places on the internet for that.

Here the "issue" with VW TDI Diesels is how will it effect the number of people that use those vehicles as their tow vehicle. Let us leave the rest of the political stuff for letters to the editor and be nice to our fellow members.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #103

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Sounds like a plan Rodger Dat
Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #104

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 & TDI tugboat
Ohio
We just got back from the Ohio FGRV rally with the TDI towing a Scamp13, getting 30+ MPG.
If I'm lucky, this 'scandal' will devalue TDI cars enough that I'll be able to buy a used SportWagen soon. Does anyone know the tow rating for US or EU specification 2010 TDI W/ manny tranny?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #105

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
In the end, if level heads prevail, there will be a revelation after close scrutiny of just how minor the actual violation really is. It is the "Jaywalking" of emissions violations involving a minor tweaking of NOx emissions.
A fine is justified, but Jaywalking is not normally a hanging offense.

Either way... how many people really tow with a VW diesel anyway, and for the dozen or so in the US who do... getting your EGR (or its equivalent) tweaked may not be as painful as you expect.
Fact is, the only real connection this thread has to Fiberglass RVs is that VW ends up with "EGG on its face"
Old 09-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #106

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Overall, an efficient turbo diesel engine is cleaner than a gas engine on HC (unburned hydrocarbons), CO and CO2. Diesels do produce more NOx than gas engines. IMHO, EPA would do us all a favor by letting some of the fleet produce low CO2 (diesel cars), some produce low NOx (gas cars), and some produce unspecified remote emissions (battery cars). A mixture of these power sources, optimized for application would lower overall pollution.

Not sure how to make that happen..
Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #107

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Isn't that what CAFE ( Corporate Average Fuel Economy ) is all about?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #108

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, but as far as I know there's no corporate averaging of vehicle emissions.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #109

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Diesels might not be the ideal choice for smaller tow vehicles in the US right now. However, there is hope for alternatives. Well, sorta hope as long as you have a whole lot of money. Tesla just released the Model X which is a $130k all-electric SUV and get this:

"... the Model X has Class 3 towing capacity, which in lay terms means it’ll haul 5,000 pounds."

I'm not aware of any other hybrid or electric that's approved for towing so this might be the first. Here's the full article if you want to start saving your money:

Tesla's Model X Is Here, and It’s as Awesome As We Hoped | WIRED
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #110

Trailer:
I see that Martin Winterkorn, VW's former chief executive is now under investigation by German prosecutors for "allegations of fraud in the sale of cars with manipulated emissions data".

The German do not actually have a law prohibiting "bringing German engineering into disrepute", however much the German people might like to have one - which is a good thing for Winterkorn, as he would lose his head.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #111

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Diesels might not be the ideal choice for smaller tow vehicles in the US right now. However, there is hope for alternatives. Well, sorta hope as long as you have a whole lot of money. Tesla just released the Model X which is a $130k all-electric SUV and get this:

"... the Model X has Class 3 towing capacity, which in lay terms means itll haul 5,000 pounds."

I'm not aware of any other hybrid or electric that's approved for towing so this might be the first. Here's the full article if you want to start saving your money:

Tesla's Model X Is Here, and It’s as Awesome As We Hoped | WIRED
Hope has arrived... and its name is EcoBoost.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #112

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I see that Martin Winterkorn, VW's former chief executive is now under investigation by German prosecutors for "allegations of fraud in the sale of cars with manipulated emissions data".

The German do not actually have a law prohibiting "bringing German engineering into disrepute", however much the German people might like to have one - which is a good thing for Winterkorn, as he would lose his head.
yup suspect Mr. Winterkorn is happy about that. At the end of the day several of the top VW execs will be investigated and if I was a betting type I would put my money on Mr. Winterkorn coming out of it with his head still on but not perhaps the head of R&D . ;-)

Pretty typical of the *large* corporation world for there to be a fall guy in order to quickly please the public. More often than not the party at the top of the pile is the one who takes the hit even if they actually did not know a thing about the situation until it it the press.

I tend to agree with Floyd's suggest that the infraction in regards to emission levels they have committed is not as bad as some might suggest. At the end of the day I suspect its going to cost VW far more to repair the PR damage done than any fines that will be handed out to them for having committed it.

As far as its impact on myself and others here who may be towing or have an interest in towing with a VW, sadly while there has been an impact on my stock portfolio (hoping they will recover as well/fast as Toyota did after their 20% drop in 2010 due to there big recall issues) it has not as yet translated to anyone willing to dump off a Touareg at a rock bottom price not seen before - I know as I keep checking daily

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote