VW Diesel Cheating - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #113

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
From what I have seen and heard the cost to VW to repair/modify the Diesels to meet the standards will probably be over $7000 per car. The estimated cost to have produced the cars to actually meet the standards was estimated to be ha high as $435.00. Not a very good payback for the risk I think.
This applies (so far the the cars outside of the US. VW has been given until Oct7 to come up with an answer as to what they plan to do to rectify the situation by the German government.
I have an interest since I have two of the Sportwagen TDIs currently. In my opinion (and only that) it makes a great tow car for the small Scamps and a very very good touring car.
We like to take relatively long road trips and this is why we bought the Scamp in the first place. There are few better cars for two to travel cross country (again in my opinion).. I planned to buy a different car when the JSW hit 240,000 miles and we looked at and test drove most of them. My wife preferred the VW over all of the ones that we tried except for the $65,000 VW Touareg.
I thought the Ford escape turbo-boost would be the answer, but the performance was lacking and the road feel was just not there. It wiggled and just did not have a solid feel even without a trailer. It would not have been improved with one either.
So we bought another obNOXious VW Sportwagen and took another chance on expensive repairs down the road. (in my opinion the major drawback to the TDI).
We will have to wait to see what transpires with this story.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #114

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
Does anyone know the tow rating for US or EU specification 2010 TDI W/ manny tranny?
Officially here in the US for the 6MT it's 2000lbs with 200lbs on the tongue. I drive a 2014 and even fully set up for towing (including brake controller) I've NOT been questioned by my dealer about what I tow or anything related, and I'm still well within the factory warranty. I realize you probably wouldn't be under warranty with a 2010, but depending on mileage, the extended HPFP warranty might still apply.

I actually had my HPFP and fuel system replaced last month due to a corroded lift pump, and all VW was concerned with was what was in my tank (they sent fuel off for testing), but I even had my ball mount on my car and no one questioned that at all... one advantage I suppose to not "breaking the rules"

Old 09-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #115

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
It isn't just the EPA or north America where veedub has a problem. I've been in the UK all this week and its on the news non-stop. VW admitted this week in London that one in ten cars has the software onboard to cheat the emissions tests.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #116

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
It isn't just the EPA or north America where veedub has a problem. I've been in the UK all this week and its on the news non-stop. VW admitted this week in London that one in ten cars has the software onboard to cheat the emissions tests.
Especially bad news for Europe:
EarthLink - U.S. News
Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #117

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Returning to the US, it's looking more and more to me like they can't fix this. If a software update could have brought them into compliance and maintained acceptable (albeit reduced) performance, surely they would have announced something by now.

The only alternatives I see are adding an exhaust treatment system- and going through the whole engineering and EPA certification process- or buying back a half million vehicles.

Curious about the new light-duty truck diesels- Dodge half-ton and GM Canyon/Colorado... With the exposure of the VW "clean diesel" fraud, it seems US passenger car diesel standards cannot be met without an expensive exhaust treatment system and will likely return to niche status for the well-heeled. How do US light-duty trucks, which are used primarily as private passenger vehicles, not commercial work vehicles, get a pass? Are the standards different? Are they using exhaust treatment systems?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #118

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
It just gets worse and worse.

Automakers Ask Europe for Leniency in Emissions Testing
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/bu...s-testing.html

Very many years ago in Junior High School I had an English teacher who tried to cover journalism. I remember the 5 "W"s and the "H". (Who, what, when, where, why, and how.) What impressed me the most was what she said was the distinguishing characteristic for a superior journalist: the vision of where the story was going in order to be in the right place at the right time. I have no idea of where this diesel thing is going.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #119

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
What I learned in journalism school is that the biggest most important stories are rarely and barely written about.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #120

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Journalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
It just gets worse and worse.

Automakers Ask Europe for Leniency in Emissions Testing
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/bu...s-testing.html

Very many years ago in Junior High School I had an English teacher who tried to cover journalism. I remember the 5 "W"s and the "H". (Who, what, when, where, why, and how.) What impressed me the most was what she said was the distinguishing characteristic for a superior journalist: the vision of where the story was going in order to be in the right place at the right time. I have no idea of where this diesel thing is going.
What I learned in 'Journalism school' is the biggest stories are rarely covered by media outlets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #121

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
From what I have seen and heard the cost to VW to repair/modify the Diesels to meet the standards will probably be over $7000 per car. The estimated cost to have produced the cars to actually meet the standards was estimated to be ha high as $435.00...
Do you happen to have a reference or link for this information? Just curious… I haven't been able to to follow the technical details too closely (and lack your intense personal interest in the outcome…).
Old 10-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #122

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What I learned in 'Journalism school' is the biggest stories are rarely covered by media outlets.
And, if that is true, how did you learn that it is true?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #123

California
Keep in mind that the higher VW puts the "Cost" to fix, the less apt it is to get done and, if it is done, inflated costs will mean a higher tax write-off for VW of America, meaning lless tax on corporate profits. (Not political, just creative tax avoidance).

I did see the original cost savings of about $400 per vehicle, vs an exhaust treatment system, mentioned in several articles from Europe. One article was about the beating the VW dealers are expected to take as a result of the scam, the other about the shame it was bringing on German engineering pride.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #124

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ya Norm, but when you and I were in school Walter Cronkite was still a copy boy, they were setting type by hand for our Gutenberg presses, and big stories were discouraged..... (and watch your p's & q's) LOL

(Actually Linotypes were still in use by most newspapers, but the lino operators still had to re-enter every story a letter at a time.)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #125

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 & TDI tugboat
Ohio
These vehicles pass the EPA certification test and an annual Cali-spec tailpipe test. They clearly are capable of passing the emissions test with the correct, legal software. The problem is that VW bumped up MPG and power slightly when not in test mode, at the expense of a minor bump in NOx. The fix is a simple reflash of the ECUs.

The news is all a-twitter about "40 times the emission limits!" but that number is only for NOx and only at WOT and full boost, which is only seen for a few seconds during heavy acceleration. The bad things in exhaust gas are CO(poisonous), CO2 (greenhouse gas), HC(toxic) and PM(carcinogenic), which these cars are usually under limits.

This news story is a tempest in a teakettle, which is a weapon of mass distraction from some unknown thing that might actually be important.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #126

California
Quote: "This news story is a tempest in a teakettle, which is a weapon of mass distraction from some unknown thing that might actually be important."

Somehow I think that the worldwide interest in Volkswagen having to "cheat", rather than properly engineer the vehicles emissions system, is a huge issue for the world's largest automobile manufacturer (per 2015 figures). If it was a case of something not working, that would be one thing, but they intentionally rigged the computer to obviate the emissions requirement when not being tested.

And in as much that: a) VW admitted the deception and b) has set aside billions of dollars for settlements, it's a lot more than a "Tempest in a Teapot".

The automotive marketplace is usually willing to accept mistakes, and corrective recalls, but intentional deception on this scale, not so much so.... On the plus side, it will make other manufacturers think twice in the future about cheating.

And, as far as I am concerned, clean air is actually important.