VW tow car - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Now, according to this thread, we can tow with my '99 Beetle (They sell towbars, but all I have found is information that towing is not recommended.). We have a '69 Beetle like the one in the previous posting picture,
Umm, you might want to look into this very carefully -- There's a big difference between a UK spec with actual weights and "not recommended", as well as a difference in model years. Photo of something hooked to something is not a guarantee...

http://www.autobytel.co.uk/NewCars/NewCarD...mp;Model=BEETLE

http://www.vw.com/newbeetlecon/completespecs/en/us/

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/new...ent=view/page=4

http://www.automotive.com/2005/43/volkswag...ions/index.html

Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Jetta Diesel 1.9l TDI with 5 speeds manual can pull:

- Trailer with brakes at 12 % slope 1400 kg, and at 8% slope 1700 kg.

- Trailer without brakes 720 kg.

My 06 Jetta TDI gets in average 44 mpg. Pulling the trailer could be 30-50% less.

George.

VW_POLAND , sorry it is in polish

Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #17

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I think we have all seen that video of the bigger trailer dragging the smaller tow car back down the hill to disaster in Europe.
Nuf said.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
I think we have all seen that video of the bigger trailer dragging the smaller tow car back down the hill to disaster in Europe.
Nuf said.
Nuf.....
Jetta curb weight is 3230 lb. Towing a trailer at the same weight as a towing vehicle is common. 3230lb (~1465 kg) is pretty close to some of European towing specs for a Jetta. A lot of folks in countries with smaller cars tow with Jetta size cars without problems. I tow my boat which is 30% heavier than my Ford 350 and never was pulled into the sea. This discussion started with questions of small travel trailer (I think 2500lb) being towed by VW.

George.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
I went hunting for some information on VW's diesel engines last night and today, and came back with some interesting finds.

First, VW's TDI diesels sold in recent years are rated at 100 horsepower, but VW has a new 1.9 liter diesel they currently sell overseas that's coming to the US market this summer and it's rated at 148 horsepower and getting 50+ mpg. That's the same horsepower my 3.0 liter Ford Ranger uses to haul our 3000lbs 5th wheel around! Better yet, because it's a diesel, the engine will have better torque at lower engine speeds than a regular gas engine does, translating to more pulling power on less fuel.

VW also announced a diesel hybrid Golf hatchback that gets 70 mpg using the same 1.9 liter diesel that's expected to reach European markets in 2009 and reduces CO2 output by 20% as compared to the Toyota Prius. No word on towing abilities, but if it'll tow a trailer I already want one.

Things get more interesting from there. Subaru also has a diesel they're selling in the European market that does 150hp, gets 50mpg and will come out in their Outback and Legacy line in the US in 2010.

Indian automaker Mahindra plans to enter the US market with a Toyota Tacoma-sized 150hp diesel-hybrid pickup estimated to get 40 mpg for the 2010 model year, too.

So it seems that "good things come to those who wait." Lynne and I have been sitting on the fence, keeping our current vehicles (which are in good shape and get pretty reasonable gas mileage by today's standards) and wait for more energy-efficient options to arrive. It's not happening today, but it looks like our patience will pay off in two or three years time.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #20

Oregon
Peter, great research. I think BMW is also bringing their European diesels here. With low US$ I can imagine their prices.

My Jetta is consistently getting 44 mpg which is about is 37.5% better than 2.5 l gas Jetta (assuming 32 mpg). With diesel fuel at $4/gal and regular at $3.3/gal I am paying 21.2% more for diesel. I think this is worse scenario for costs. In the rest of our World diesel is at most at the same prices as regular gas. At this worse scenario I am still ahead 11.9%. A few month ago with diesel cost at mid grade gas I was ahead 22.8%

George.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
There is no doubt that the torque characteristics of diesel engines makes them ideal for towing. There a few diesel SUVs in the works, a 2.2 litre diesel Honda CRV, the diesel Subaru Forester, and the new Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI. If these survive "americanization" with their 3500 pound tow ratings intact, they would pretty much fit my needs exactly. 40 mpg when you're not towing, and 20-ish when you are, and AWD all the time. I've owned a lot of VW's, but I'm a bit leery of their reliability/dealer service these days. I really like my Forester, so I'm pulling for Subaru. Having said that, I will likely get whichever of the above gets to market first....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Even though we have 4 VWs, we actually tow with our Eurovan. It does a great job! We just towed a trailer filled with donations for the Lakota out to Pine Ridge and then stayed there for a week to volunteer. We really do not plan to tow with my Beetle.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1616.JPG  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I met a German couple who had a Nissan 4x4 diesel pickup with a nifty Tischer fiberglass camper on it that they had shipped over to travel US/MX/CA. Dunno what they got without the wind and weight load, but they were getting 23-4 mpg fully loaded. I was a bit envious of the whole package!

http://www.tischer.ch/Home.html
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #24

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I was just reading our VW magazine. I see that VW is trying their hand at a US minivan again. They are partnering with Chrysler to produce the Routan New VW Mini Van. Even though we are VW enthusiastists (We own 4!!),I think we will pass. Notwithstanding that our Eurovan is in great shape, and our daughter just called with a rod problem in her car (a Chrysler!), it has a name that does not work for me. My sister went to school with someone whose last name was Routan. He had a problem that caused me to refer to him as "Rootitoottoottan." Unfortunately, she sat behind him.

CindyL
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
the rootitooti looks very much like an Odyssey.

I would LOVE to be able to tow with a VW bus or Eurovan. But, alas... a Bus wouldn't do it. I have the scale balanced to the opposite side of the 13 ... with the 13, weekend trips were a bit easier as far as travel went... but none of the amenities I needed for long term travel.

If I had a bus or Eurovan, my weekend trips may not involve a trailer at all.

Maybe I'll just go buy another 13 and emulate Roger. I'll have a herd...