WA State skiers??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
WA State skiers???

I hate to come to the realization that the summer is nearing an end here in the Pac NW, but that means ski season is just around the corner.

Are there any skiers out there that overnight at Alpental during the weekends? I would love your input, advice, recommendations, etc. as this will be our first winter giving it a go.

Thanks,
Rich
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Richard, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

I live 45 minutes away from one of the most fantastic downhill (or snow shoe) areas in the continental US. MT HOOD!

I learned to downhill ski, when "buckle" boots first came out and they were STILL leather. The name Jean-Claude Killy made every snow bunnie between 18-98 y/o SWOON!

So yeah, been at this stuff for a while. However, you're asking about "camping" while skiing? Are you talking about in the "parking lot" of the resort, or some place else?

MY suggestion for a couple of days... is to EXPECT condensation inside, winterize the trailer and take jugs of water for cooking, etc. USE RV antifeeze (diluted) to flush the toilet, etc. Provide baby wipes to everyone inlieu of a shower.

AND HAVE A BLAST! Even if you only do it once, you'll have made a memory!!!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Donna,
You and I are of the same era! Mention of Jeane-Claude Killy makes me swoon! I hate to admit I am of that age, but skiing/snowshoeing have come a long way since then.

I am a longtime cross-country skier having recently changed to snowshoes since my husband has had two hip replacements and needs to limit his high-risk-of-fall activities. Formerly he was an avid black-diamond downhill skiier while I kept to the bunny slopes.

We've only had the trailer since 2011 and the snow has not been great the last few years in California. Occasionally, we talk of the fun of potentially camping in the snow with the trailer and then we soon come to our senses realizing that driving in the snow and ice with a tow could be treacherous.

On our maiden voyage with the trailer in late August in South Dakota we met with a freak hailstorm one sunny/clear day. Our car suddenly lost traction, lurched off the pavement and damaged our tire. Fortunately we were not towing and we were able to regain control quickly and no one was hurt. We did, however, need to replace the car tire while on the road before we could tow again. I shudder to think if this incident had happened while towing. For this reason we will only be "glamping" in snow season in a warm, chalet with a fireplace!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote