Waaay off topic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I am an old retired guy that likes to save money so I can have fun camping and traveling and spoiling my grandkids.
I have acid reflux that is controlled quite well by Prilosec. I got tired of paying over a dollar a pill at Costco, which is the least expensive.
Prilosec is Omeprazole Magnesium in a delayed release tablet. I have been taking a generic Prilosec manufactured by a large drug manufacturer in India for the last month and it does just as well as the expensive Prilosec.
I have just ordered 180 tablets, approximately a 6 month supply, for $52.05. $52.05 is 29 cents a pill.
I am not selling these tablets. Acid reflux has become a very common problem, especially among we mature individuals and the U.S. drug manufacturers are taking advantage of us. I just wanted to pass along the information.
If you are interested just Google Omeprazole. There are several companys that sell this generic Prilosec at an extremely reasonable price.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Hi John. I'm glad you found something that is working for you at a cost you are able to afford. Stay on top of the symtoms and get regular endoscopes and biopsies. GERD is a serious condition that can develop to cancer of the esophagas which does not have early symptoms and has a high mortality when not discovered early.

I have GERD and have had 3 surgeries on my esophagas (sp). Bleeding ulcer in esophagas and pre-cancerous cells on biopsy. I now have Barrotts esophagas (scarred and abnormal cells, but not cancerous). Barrotts esophagas can easily become cancerous if irritated by acid reflux. I am currently taking Omeprazole OTC by prescription to control reflux. It does provide excellent relief from acid reflux. I have a low dollar cost to me health plan and my cost is $.27 per pill. The premium for the insurance plan was 22 years of my life.

I don't recommend going for the lowest cost provider when it comes to health care. I acknowlege that other countries do manufacture health care drugs that are just as good as or better than those available in the US. Some good drugs manufactured and available outside the US are not available in the US. It is a personal choice and is tainted by each persons economic situation and values.

Wishing you continued good health.
Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Glad it works for you. I have the same problem, but my meds are covered by insurance.

BUT... DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

"With this, as with any drug, please consult your physician before taking"

Most doctors advocate generics and are champions against the high cost of meds here. However, they do need to know what you are doing, so ask them, tell them what you have found, and let them OK it first.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Hello to everyone!

From a holistic approach, aloe vera juice has been proven to be effective combatting acid reflux. Inexpensive and good for the rest of you too!
Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I have mild GERD, so I park my egg with a block under one wheel to raise the head of my (side-to-side) bunk and have raised the head of my bed in my condo.

I happened to go a low carb diet (Protein Power) at the behest of my Doc a couple of years ago and found that not only did it lower my cholesterol (why he had me do it) but also my GERD pretty much went away (except when I cheated on the diet and occasionally overdid carbs). I was talking to a FullTiming couple in a campground; the wife had become diabetic, so they both went on a diabetic diet as a matter of convenience -- The husband's GERD went away just like mine did....
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I am an old retired guy that likes to save money so I can have fun camping and traveling and spoiling my grandkids.
I have acid reflux that is controlled quite well by Prilosec. I got tired of paying over a dollar a pill at Costco, which is the least expensive.
Prilosec is Omeprazole Magnesium in a delayed release tablet. I have been taking a generic Prilosec manufactured by a large drug manufacturer in India for the last month and it does just as well as the expensive Prilosec.
I have just ordered 180 tablets, approximately a 6 month supply, for $52.05. $52.05 is 29 cents a pill.
I am not selling these tablets. Acid reflux has become a very common problem, especially among we mature individuals and the U.S. drug manufacturers are taking advantage of us. I just wanted to pass along the information.
If you are interested just Google Omeprazole. There are several companys that sell this generic Prilosec at an extremely reasonable price.

John
Hi: I'm on Losec too (Omeprazole 20MG daily) My Mom is worse than I am and sleeps on a foam wedgie cushion that raises her shoulders 6" and tapers to nothing at her waist...She won't leave home with out it!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #7

Registry
Hi: again... To keep your digestive system humming along try eating1/2 cup of Sauerkraut every day...I do and it really works. When you ferment Cabbage with salt it produces Lactobacillus which you need to digest food. You can buy Acidophilus caps. @ the Drug store but eating simmered Sauerkraut is cheaper Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I heard about this on the John Tesh Radio show!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi: again... To keep your digestive system humming along try eating1/2 cup of Sauerkraut every day...I do and it really works. When you ferment Cabbage with salt it produces Lactobacillus which you need to digest food.
Alf,
You have just decided my dinner for me. Second only to a large combination Pizza and dark beer, which are few and far between as I am trying to lose my pot belly, there is nothing better than hotdogs cooked in sauerkraut.
John
Old 02-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Glad it works for you. I have the same problem, but my meds are covered by insurance.
Gina,
I can buy 6 months supply for less than my copay.
My intent was not to promote this drug, but to inform members of this forum that may not have insuranace that there are safe and less costly alternatives to the domestic drug market. That frees up cash for trips and other fun things.
John
Old 02-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I'm gonna run the risk here of sounding a little bit like some sort of 'all natural hippy-type' (which I'm not), but...

A disturbing number of MDs get WAY too much of their information from the recycled chippy little cheerleaders the drug companies employ to pump their products. (IN case it isn't clear - the drug companies hire cheerleaders straight out of college to work as reps with the MDs. Selling products with sex doesn't just work on consumers... works on MDs too!) Also, it's -common- that the new hoopy drugs are no better at treatment than older (cheaper) alternatives. (I can probably dig up a few studies demonstrating that if anyone really cares.)

In the case of Acid Reflux - Zantac is a whole heck of a lot cheaper and is still very very strong. Then there's all the traditional treatments and (even cheaper) modifying your diet. A LOT of acid reflux problems can be really quite reasonably controlled with diet alone.

I really don't like pumping my body full of drugs so my approach is always to try the mildest actions first and ratchet up only if absolutely neccessary.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I have edited my first post on this thread. I mistakenly thought the "post #1" meant it was John's first post. I understand now that it is indicating the first post of the thread.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #12

Registry
Hi: John... Glad I could be a help!!! "You are what you eat" but remember too much of a good thing is...well too much Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...You have just decided my dinner for me. Second only to a large combination Pizza and dark beer, which are few and far between as I am trying to lose my pot belly, there is nothing better than hotdogs cooked in sauerkraut.
Gee, I had dinner plans but now my mouth is watering for hotdogs cooked in sauerkraut... I had the Pizza and honey brown beer last night! I guess I'm stopping at the supermarket during my errand run.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote