Wag Bags - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I was wondering if any one here has used a Wag Bag in their RV toilet? They seem like a good idea for cold weather camping as you may be able to still use your own toilet.

http://www.thepett.ca/products/wag.html

Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Now this could be a delicate subject for some. Anyway, I have not used WAG bags but have discovered (out of necessity) another, similar, application, with the same end, using a cheaper product.

With the toilet seat up, a 13 gallon trash bag will fit snugly over the rim of the toilet. Push the bottom of the bag down inside the toilet for deposit collection and lower the seat upon the rim and garbage bag around it. Now, one might use the toilet dry if one chooses not to have one's water tanks filled with water for flushing.

After the deposit and paperwork is completed, simply lift the bag from the rim and make a knot in the top and deposit all into the nearest trash receptacle.

Some suggestions, though:

First, try and find a black garbage bag for collection as it tends to makes one's deposit invisible from the outside.

Second, limit liquid amount into collection bag.

It works quite nicely for me.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Unlike the gray water tank which is under the trailer, the black water tank is inside the trailer. I don't see a problem using it in cold weather. If it's so cold it's going to freeze the black water... it's gonna be waaaay to cold for me! Just leave the bathroom door open to get some warmth in there. I may not be hooked up to city water and I may not have water in the fresh water tank, but can get a long just fine with a gallon milk jug filled with water... use that to flush...

A bit of anti-freeze to keep the gate/valve from sticking too.

So no, I wouldn't need/use a wag bag.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #4

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Just a note about what John is suggesting:

WAG bags (and similar products) actually gel the human waste and transmogrify it into a product that is no longer a biohazard, in a way that just using a plain trash bag does not. So while I don't think it's "kosher" to toss a trash bag of human waste into a Dumpster, it is perfectly fine to throw a WAG bag of waste into one.

(Yes, I know people throw "loaded" disposable diapers away all day long; I don't think one is technically supposed to.)

Raya
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #5

British Columbia
The reason I asked is that I will be heading south this winter and it may be cold when i leave. I would like to be able to use toilet when travelling and sleep in unit if not to bitter cold. I think that most i would use is for about 3 days depending on weather.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Chester, I have used the wag in conjunction with the trailer potty a few times. Mostly when traveling when we have already cleaned out the black tank and will be putting the trailer back in the barn so don't want to have to go thru the dumping process again. It works fine, and as Raya pointed out is better way to dispose. Now that's not to say I wouldn't use another bag in an emergency but found the wag a great alternative to taking the trailer to dump again for only traveling potty stops. Enjoy you winter trip. Robin

PS, I have friends who travel with their stickie 5th wheel out of cold weather in Dec every year towards warmer climates. They are the ones who told me about wags cause they have had the black tank freeze in the stickie........ Solid block! Not so much fun to try to defrost, as well as the worry that the darn black tank is gonna crack open and deposit a solid block of poooooooooo on the highway.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 AM   #7

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
I was wondering if any one here has used a Wag Bag in their RV toilet? They seem like a good idea for cold weather camping as you may be able to still use your own toilet.

http://www.thepett.ca/products/wag.html
I've used the wag bags while in the WAY back country with my Jeep. We had a PET toilet that folded into a flat box which was easily stowable. Upon arrival at camp, we set up the WAG bag, then let it hang there 'til we were ready to leave camp. The bags usually come with a second, heavy-duty plastic, ziploc-style bag that works well. In fact, I can tell you they work REALLY well.

On our last day of a 10-day, grueling 32-mile trail (and lots of spur hiking), my main trash bag ended up dragging on the road. The burlap sack wore through, then the wag bag at the bottom of the pile began dragging along the trail before I spotted the problem. (Hard to see it hanging off the backside of the Jeep!) The WAG bag held...thank HEAVENS!

I highly recommend this setup. (Except the whole dragging-off-the-back-of-the-vehicle detail)

Jen
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #8

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I have heard of using a trash bag with a disposable diaper in. Homemade WAG bag.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #9

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't mean to sound like I own the WAG bag company, because I don't, but the big advantage to WAG bags is that they make the waste biologically "safe," which is something that plastic bags, etc., don't do.

So with a plain bag, a diaper, or the like, you can't legitimately just toss them in the garbage can, which you can do with a WAG bag (their "pooh powder" not only gels the waste, but makes it biologically inert).

Of course, like I said before, people throw diapers away all the time (athough technically one is supposed to empty the waste into a toilet first). But for myself if I'm tossing a bag into a Dumpster, especially at a campground, I like to know it's cool.

Granted, if you used a WAG bag for every "poo," you'd go broke, but really for most people it doesn't add up to all that many bags (and you can use each bag a few times).

Okay, off my soap box (or... is that soap bag)

Raya
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
Just a note about what John is suggesting:

WAG bags (and similar products) actually gel the human waste and transmogrify it into a product that is no longer a biohazard, in a way that just using a plain trash bag does not. So while I don't think it's "kosher" to toss a trash bag of human waste into a Dumpster, it is perfectly fine to throw a WAG bag of waste into one.

(Yes, I know people throw "loaded" disposable diapers away all day long; I don't think one is technically supposed to.)

Raya
Raya:
After reading your above post, I began to feel uneasy that I might not be "technically supposed to" be dumping my 'waste' into the trash after using my toilet dry, collecting such waste in a trash bag inserted around the rim and tucked inside the toilet, then tieing it off after use and disposing it into the nearest trash. As disagreeable as it might sound, I am convinced that I am not the only one who occasionally resorts to this for one's solid waste disposal and I can find no evidence to support it is an illegal act.

In fact, with regards to the appropriate soiled diaper disposal, the only "kosher" method appears to just dump them all into the trash. My three grandsons are young and all in diapers and each time I visit my daughter I often dispose of her diaper bag when full by just tieing it off and dumping it into her trash can. And, I submit that it is the common custom throughout these lands with disposable diapers, especially with working mothers. However, with the older, non-disposable cloth diapers, I remember we first dumped the solid waste into the toilet first before washing but I believe that was more for cleanliness rather than trying to be technically correct.

After looking at the WAG bag I see that it does not claim to render the waste into a non-"bio-hazard", but rather converts it into a solid for easy disposal, masks the odor, and adds a catalyst to help it, allegedly, decompose faster.

So, now I must say that I do feel better about my occasional "toilet habit"! I hope I have not offended anyone.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #11

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The reason I asked is that I will be heading south this winter and it may be cold when i leave. I would like to be able to use toilet when travelling and sleep in unit if not to bitter cold. I think that most i would use is for about 3 days depending on weather.
Hi: Chester Taje...and thanks for the "Scoop" on *oo*. Not to derail this thread but if the Escape 17'er is sold is there a "New" RV on the western horizon???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Hi: Chester Taje...and thanks for the "Scoop" on *oo*. Not to derail this thread but if the Escape 17'er is sold is there a "New" RV on the western horizon???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Another FG trailer is being looked for . I want a project unit so I can gut and rebuild. I have seen a large number of units this past few weeks and I will eventually find what i want.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #13

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
as unsavory as disposed human waste may sound... for you city folk with the elegant sewer system that takes our dirty little secrets away from us to never be seen or smelled again, and processed...and purified... (Which I personally prefer... but...)

Leach fields... they are everywhere. Very common and pretty much the norm in rural areas.. which is most of the US. Your own waste ends up in your back yard, and leach field yards are green and lush. I can venture to guess why.

A very simple explanation of how a simple basic septic leach fields work... (There are many variations, but the concept is the same) your septic tank "fills" up to a point where there is a drain tube. *Most* solids have sunk to the bottom of the tank to be pumped out periodically by a very brave man driving a tanker truck, the liquids rise and "leach" into the tube, which has holes in it and is snaked all the way around, across and zig zagging the field. You can bet that some of that liquid is laced with bacteria and other uckies from the solids.

I am not a poop expert (Tho I have been accused of having poopy ideas) but I can imagine that it works the same way in a landfill. Only water comes down instead of up.. liquifying the solids and leaching them into the ground.

Now, I squirm a bit when I walk across the leach field here, knowing what lies below and may have bubbled up at some point, but I don't worry about it. No one here has gotten sick.. and you wouldn't know it was a field unless someone told you.

Nature is a powerful thing.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #14

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Unlike the gray water tank which is under the trailer, the black water tank is inside the trailer.
In a Fiber Stream [b]both tanks are outside, under the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0312half.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	23759

Underneath View, looking from Bumper forward
The 1st Tank (with red paint on the back edge) is "Black", the 2nd Tank is "Gray"