Walmart camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Walmart camping

Interesting article about Walmart camping.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...mart.html?_r=1
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I can't figure out what the article is trying to say about those who overnight at WalMart parking lots. The majority of the pics sure don't represent 95% of the peeps I have seen there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I can't figure out what the article is trying to say about those who overnight at WalMart parking lots. The majority of the pics sure don't represent 95% of the peeps I have seen there.
As you often say, "consider the source."

I wouldn't really call it a article, but more like a photo essay focusing on the more unusual cases, some of which appear to violate Walmart's usual polices regarding overnight stays.

The very thought of sleeping overnight in a Chevy Spark makes my back hurt!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A very interesting slice of American Life....not everyone can afford a fiberglass RV....nice that Walmart is kind enough to provide a free overnight spot for those who can use it...I see plenty of RVs parked in my local Walmart....for a simple overnight spot that is both safe and free..?WHY NOT?

Happy Camping...wherever you are!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Most of the people appear to be a bit more down on their luck then the people I've encountered at Walmarts. I've also overnighted at truck stops but I didn't see many RVs there.

Having said that I've seen many more people on youtube posting about living out of their vans. And, in California, people getting out of apartments and into RVs as their normal accommodations as they work.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
....................for a simple overnight spot that is both safe and free..?WHY NOT?
Happy Camping...wherever you are!
You need to explain to me. How is WalMart camping safe?
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Of course, it depends on the Wal-Mart. Most are well lot and patrolled by security. Often, I park near other RV's.
Sometimes, there are essentially homeless folks trying to stay long term - they are rousted by the local police. I've had police suggest I not park near those rigs and to call them if I have any problems.
They aren't dark at night and can be a little noisy. I've found walmarts to be an acceptable place to catch a few zzzz's.
I generally travel alone - never felt unsafe.
Ymmv

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
You need to explain to me. How is WalMart camping safe?
You could stay home and face the higher probability of a home invasion?

I always consult with the Holy Spirit before stopping for the night...
then l let my angels stand watch while I sleep peacefully.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #9

I've probably spent 100 nights at WalMarts over the years and about the only problems I have encountered were a few noisy locals racing around the parking lot. In my opinion they are as safe as most campgrounds and I feel safer there than in most Highway Rest Areas.

Just IMHO

Old 06-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm pretty sure they're covered by security cameras, something most campgrounds and some rest areas do not have.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And, you're not supposed to camp at Walmart. No slides out, no propane fire pits or barbecues, etc. It's a place to stop overnight for sleeping hours, not days.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Not philosophically aligned with Walmart, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And, you're not supposed to camp at Walmart. No slides out, no propane fire pits or barbecues, etc. It's a place to stop overnight for sleeping hours, not days.
We agree with Donna. If the locality permits overnight parking (some don't), we find Walmart a good place to get off the road when traveling with a trailer. They are easy to find and easy to navigate. They are probably more secure than most rest areas. The biggest downside to us is noise, as they are always in high traffic areas. The noise is no worse than a typical KOA.

We once got into heavy snow in New Jersey and with the help of GPS, found a Walmart closeby. It may not have been the best of neighborhoods, but we felt safer there than we had on the slick freeway. They are a good place to meet friends for a passing-through meal, when camper parking isn't available near the friend's home.

We seldom shop at Walmart when we are at home as we don't feel them to be in the best interest of a healthy economy. When traveling, they are close to the highway and offer a quick option for groceries, gas, and many RV supplies, so we feel we pay them back for occasionally using their remote parking space by shopping with them. We always confirm with the store that overnight parking is allowed and park as far from the entrances as possible.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I enjoyed the article. Like someone above said, it's really more of a photo essay (and a good one, IMO). I think it shows the wide spectrum of people wandering the highways and byways enjoying life or looking for a better life. The photos showed that on any given night you can probably find well off people and not-do-well off people over-nighting at WalMarts. I for one, although we've never taken advantage of a WalMart parking lot, am happy that the company allows it as long as local laws don't prevent it.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
same here Evergreen....

have not used them overnight but am happy..real happy they are there available.....the bad for the eonomy bit?...well that horse has left the barn..time to live with the new reality I would think.

I liked the comment: "The photos showed that on any given night you can probably find well off people and not-do-well off people over-nighting at WalMarts.".....I'm thinking that would probably be a good thing...for both groups....you can never have too much tolerance/understanding in this world of ours...
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not all Wal-Marts allow camping. In Tucson, they had to stop it because people were dumping their black/gray tanks on the pavement and leaving bags of trash in the parking lot.

I haven't seen that many with security guards when we traveled but we avoid bigger cities. Usually if I see they need a security guard in the parking lot, I would rather not be in that area.

I think FL is one of the hardest hit. I know they put in restrictions because people were trying to stay either in parking lots or on the streets while vacationing or spending the winter in FL. Not a good situation.

The only issue with the photo essay would be that in reality, it does not represent what one generally sees across the US. I would 90% are in RVs, decent ones and if not new show a pride of ownership.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I've only stayed at a few but am thankful they are there for the nights we've been unable to find a CG with sites available. Can be noisy when the deliveries roll in and a little scary in the wee dark hours, but we've really had no problems. We only wish they had coffee for sale early in the am.

We've yet to see a run down rv while staying.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Although there is a corporate policy allowing overnight parking by RVer's, from my own experiences I think that the following are the primary reasons why some Wal-Mart's do not allow overnight parking, may or may not be in order???

1. More and more Wal-Mart's are being built as part of larger shopping centers and the primary site owners prohibit overnight parking.
2. Local ordinances, especially in high impact tourist areas, prohibiting overnight parking occupancy.
3. Lack of parking spaces or close quarters for behemoth RV's, especially at older stores.
4. Local managers decisions, usually due to prior abuses ranging from trash being left behind to damage to parking lot surfaces by automatic levelers to overpopulation by the less fortunate.
In most of SoCal....ferget WalMart parking opportunities for any/all of the above reasons.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We overnight at Walmart on virtually every trip. In fact we have preferred Walmarts prepicked which have nice facilities at certain distances from home in various directions.
Many of them now have WiFi as well as Redbox,and hotfood for both supper and breakfast. Most are open 24hours and are close to major travel routes. We do often avoid large cities due to inconvenience and the fact that we are not multilingual.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
There are a couple of Walmarts in North Idaho that we occasionally overnight at. Both always seem to have several people sleeping in their cars and older RV's that are stll there several nights later. My husbands rule is that we need to be ready to roll in the am without him having to do anything outside after one time being verbally 'trapped' by a gentleman sleeping in his car with some mental health issues while he moved the cooler into the trunk and did a few other bits and pieces,we now don't level the trailer!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #20

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
After spending sleepless nights at Walmarts due to noise we avoid them. I wish there was a way to determine if a Walmart is being used for all night partying by locals, or drag racing diesel pickups, or as a big rig cruising and u-turn site.

Other than that, we enjoyed pulling in at dusk and joining the free loader community.
Rob V is offline   Reply With Quote