Walmart Overnight Substitute - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
knighth001's Avatar
 
Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Posts: 163
Registry
We crashed a walmart parking lot for the first time on our big trip last fall. We much preferred it to the truck stops we were used to crashing at (truckers always roll out so dang early). No one bothered us and it was quick to find a parking spot. Move the sleeping little ones to their bunks and then crawl in and go right to sleep. I can't ever see setting up camp there. Just crashing the night. It was close to midnight when we rolled in and we were up and rolling at 7am.

Do you guys recommend any sites for knowing where free camping is available? or what Walmarts may object to you parking overnight?
__________________

__________________
--Sean
1984 Uhaul CT 13
TV: 2011 Kia Sorento V6, 2001 Mazda Tribute V6
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
First: never "Set Up Camp" at a Wal-Mart. Even putting out chairs or awnings is considered poor form and can lead to customers and neighbors complaining, which leads to NOP.

Second: the yahoo group: walmartrving@yahoogroups.com maintains a data base about Wal-Mart parking, join up and you can access the data base. It's free.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
sokhapkin's Avatar
 
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
Do you guys recommend any sites for knowing where free camping is available? or what Walmarts may object to you parking overnight?
Allstays | Campgrounds | RV Parks

The web site also maps truck stops, rest areas and wallmart locations.
__________________
Sergey
www.callwithus.com
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I discovered today what might be a good substitute for an overnight stay while traveling through Kingman, AZ. A few miles south of the Stockton Hill Rd. exit on I-40 there is a small BLM campground called Hualapai Peak Ranch. Maximum stay is the usual 14 day limit at BLM sites. There are no facilities but the night time views of the city are incredible and it's free. In my opinion it sure beats a Walmart parking lot, which I've never done.
This just might be my favorite post ever?
__________________
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
SRD
Senior Member
 
Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Posts: 128
I tried to take a picture of the Hualapai Peak Ranch campsite but these guys got in the way.
__________________
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
SRD
Senior Member
 
Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Posts: 128
I think the horses are open range. The 3 of them were in front of a motorhome when I arrived. Here's a badly taken picture of the city lights that does not capturethe beauty of the site.

__________________
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
You should see the Walmarts in Calgary during the Stampede. Full of RV's. Many with their awnings extended and the slides extended.
I don't know what the "Stampede" is, but that brings up a point on the subject...
We use overnighting at WalMart while in transit only and not as a place to stay at our destination.
In fact, it seems that we see far fewer RVs at WalMarts in resort or "destination" areas than we do at the ones along the highway while in transit.
I could see that a weekend "event" (like our Corn Festival) could cause what you describe, along with the associated traffic congestion and overbooked accommodations.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Hmmmm...I thought that everyone knew what the Calgary Stampede was about. Incredible fun, lots of rodeo and the famous chuck wagon races. I think I have gone 5 times, maybe only 4.... Put it on your bucket list.....

Staying at Wal-Mart is only supposed to be for a overnight stay and then leave. Because more and more RV'ers tried camping out for extended stays, more and more Wal-Marts in destination areas got posted for NOP. In all of SoCal there are almost no Wal Marts that allow OP and the few that do are mostly well inland.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Staying at Wal-Mart is only supposed to be for a overnight stay and then leave. Because more and more RV'ers tried camping out for extended stays, more and more Wal-Marts in destination areas got posted for NOP. In all of SoCal there are almost no Wal Marts that allow OP and the few that do are mostly well inland.
Same old saw, but it just doesn't seem to apply here in the states, where we haven't yet got a fully developed since of entitlement.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Errrr... SoCal is in the states, it's the states that want to be in SoCal.

BTW, as predicted, it finally cooled down from last months winter weather for spring. It's down to about 70 today.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Errrr... SoCal is in the states, it's the states that want to be in SoCal.

BTW, as predicted, it finally cooled down from last months winter weather for spring. It's down to about 70 today.
FINALLY!
I've said that, or something like that, at least a dozen times and you are the first to call me on it!
We in the states don't have much freedom left as it is.. We sure wouldn't want to sacrifice what little is left (or should I say right?) for a little sunshine and a bunch of vibrating mudslides!
I barely have room to talk though...I live in ILLannoy!(sic)...A veritable enclave of capitulation.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know what the "Stampede" is, but that brings up a point on the subject...
We use overnighting at WalMart while in transit only and not as a place to stay at our destination.
In fact, it seems that we see far fewer RVs at WalMarts in resort or "destination" areas than we do at the ones along the highway while in transit.
I could see that a weekend "event" (like our Corn Festival) could cause what you describe, along with the associated traffic congestion and overbooked accommodations.
Floyd
You would like the Stampede!
Google the Chuck Wagon Race and see what I mean.

Aside from that it is one huge Rodeo and in a beautiful setting too.
It was in the 80's when I went and the locals were dying of the heat! I have also never seen mosquitos that huge anywhere else.

When I was there unfortunately there was a horrible chuck wagon race disaster and several people and horses were hurt bad and worse. Still it was one of the more amazing things I have ever watched live.

The gear is unbelievable too.

It is worth seeing at least once and the food and people are great too.
__________________
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Floyd
You would like the Stampede!
Google the Chuck Wagon Race and see what I mean.

Aside from that it is one huge Rodeo and in a beautiful setting too.
It was in the 80's when I went and the locals were dying of the heat! I have also never seen mosquitos that huge anywhere else.

When I was there unfortunately there was a horrible chuck wagon race disaster and several people and horses were hurt bad and worse. Still it was one of the more amazing things I have ever watched live.

The gear is unbelievable too.

It is worth seeing at least once and the food and people are great too.
I'll bet it's quite a spectacle... and in a beautiful place as well!
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ensolite Substitute Cat futrell Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 09-01-2012 04:34 PM
Central California Overnight Stop Recommendations? Art Davis General Chat 15 03-10-2012 09:08 AM
So What About Parking at Walmart Overnight? joy mccalla General Chat 28 02-06-2010 10:26 PM
Overnight Parking Bigfoot Mike Camping, Campout Reports 4 03-07-2009 12:00 PM
Overnight stops along the 5 Fwy Riz O Camping, Campout Reports 17 08-28-2008 03:34 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.