Want a Prodigy Brake Controller (v. 2.6) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
If you are looking for a good deal on the Prodigy controller, PPL Motor Homes in Houston has them for a pretty darn good price of $94. I have seen them all over the place for $125+. In fact while I was at UHaul the other day they wanted $149.99 for the exact controller. I also have bought the Shurflo pumps there in the past and they have always had reasonable prices. I have no affiliation what so ever with this establishment, I just wanted to pass what seems to be a good deal and a very reasonable place to get RV parts. Follow the link below!

http://tinyurl.com/rodal
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
This may be related to the fact that there is now a higher model (not a direct replacement) in the Cequent line than the Prodigy - the P3, under both Tekonsha and Hidden Hitch brand names.

That's still a great deal compared to what I paid for my Prodigy a couple of years ago.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
This may be related to the fact that there is now a higher model (not a direct replacement) in the Cequent line than the Prodigy - the [b]P3, under both Tekonsha and Hidden Hitch brand names.

That's still a great deal compared to what I paid for my Prodigy a couple of years ago.
That's an awesome deal. I was about to be annoyed because I just bought a prodigy (at the ridiculous price of $214 CAD) and haven't hooked it up yet... Looking at the P3, it doesn't appear to be functionally superior to the Prodigy so I guess I'll stick with it.

Is there anyone here that will happily come over to my house and wire up my prodigy to two trucks while I pour the beverage of their choice down their gullet? I can do the wiring, I just don't want to. :-)
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
is this a Canadian dilemma?

I paid 84 for mine from the shop that installed it
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:

I paid 84 for mine from the shop that installed it
Maybe it's strictly Canadian. When I bought mine, I called around. First, Bucars RV (who I've observed in the past, enjoy a healthy 300% markup on most items) quoted me $318 for the Prodigy. A friend of mine paid $240 for his a year ago or so and encouraged me to call around.. So I called a hitch place and they quoted me over $250 plus install ($450 with install)... After calling a few more places, I called Gregg Distributors where I often buy automotive stuff at close to wholesale and found the cheapest price of $214 out of all the places I called in the city. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Given how weak the US dollar is right now, it probably makes sense to shop down there instead of locally...

btw, the scissor jacks I wanted, the 24" BAL ones, are $69USD a pair at CampingWorld. Bucars was quoting me $130 _each_ CAD ($260 CAD a pair)... Joe at Team Trillium sold them to me for $119CAD a pair... I could probably have ordered them from CampingWorld and saved $10 or so but I'd rather just get it locally... I don't know how some of these RV dealers can sleep at night.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Don't remember exactly what I paid for controller but there were companies on ebay selling them. Seems like they were a little over $100 last fall.
Might try www.RandPcarriages.com and/or www.rjays.com
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I shopped around, this was several years back, the best price I found on the internet was RV Supply Warehouse, see they still have the Prodigy for $119.99
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, I believe that on this type of item, there just isn't enough market in Canada for good competition, but there is enough in the U.S., due to the ten times larger population. There is good competition in the hitch market, with both mass produced and locally built products, but advanced brake controllers are more specialized and not practical to produce in small volume, so there is little competition.

Importing from a U.S. supplier, such as by ordering from a web site, usually incurs both excessive shipping costs and unreasonable "customs brokerage" fees. Both could be eliminated by ordinary postal shipping in many cases, but some suppliers make exclusive arrangements with companies such as Purolator and eliminate rational alternatives; I have no idea if the trailer supply companies do this.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
... Looking at the P3, it doesn't appear to be functionally superior to the Prodigy so I guess I'll stick with it.
The difference appears to be primarily the display; although that looks to be greatly improved, if you are satisfied with the Prodigy display then I agree that either will stop the trailer the same way.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who tries the P3.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Importing from a U.S. supplier, such as by ordering from a web site, usually incurs both excessive shipping costs and unreasonable "customs brokerage" fees. Both could be eliminated by ordinary postal shipping in many cases, but some suppliers make exclusive arrangements with companies such as Purolator and eliminate rational alternatives; I have no idea if the trailer supply companies do this.
Yeah. The pain of ordering online for canadians is pretty bad. My employer is a US based company and there's a fairly steady contingent of travellers going back and forth. So if there's something really important that I want from the US, I have it shipped to head office and get one of the travellers to bring it back for me.. But it has to be really important to me...

In general, I avoid ebay and online commerce like the plague that they are.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have the (now older style) Prodigy and I can read it very easy. For a 17' trailer it's excellent and I really can't think of why I'd want something more than what I have at this time. Compared to those really old brake controllers, it's almost like extreme high tech. But if they are going to improve on an already excellent product, that's great. Better foreword than backward.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote