Want to add award camper to stable - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Rita')
Want to add award camper to stable

Hi to All,
To any who remember my post, "For those who like a Saga", the 30 minutes were up for my Trail Cruiser 27 Ft. It just left. Still have my "baby camper" , Casita, which I was told to hold off naming, until' 31 minutes had passed'!!

Now, however, I was hoping to ask everyone if they would mind keeping on the lookout for a 23 foot Award camper, in good condition, with ducted AC. I know we are an active, traveling bunch. Who knows what one might turn up!

These are also, lightweight, and just a little bit bigger, but smaller than the Trail Cruiser we just sold.

Found one in Texas, but maybe not just quite "it". I can travel, but hopefully not Maine or Washington! (We are in AR)

So, please if anyone has any leads, please let me know!
Thanks a bunch,
Betty L.
Betty L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What's a "Award" camper??? I don't see it on the make list. When and where were they made?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Are you willing to drive up to Southern Ontario?
They were made not too far from Niagara Falls, I imagine there are more up here than anywhere else. One of our members posted last year about one they went to see near Ottawa.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

An Award is Canadian made, but not molded fiberglass, only fiberglass sided. They are no longer made. I have a Casita, but also want something a little bigger. Maybe someone will see one. They are very light, about 2,700 for a 23 foot, and very aerodynamic, with aluminum frame, and ducted AC on most.

Driving might not be as much of a problem as getting one over the border, bought in Canada. I once looked into getting a Bigfoot 5er over the border, and decided it was just too much hassle, hence, I prefer to find one that has already made it over the border.

Once someone on here had posted one, but pics exist on line, for those that are not familiar with them. I am just not skilled enough to post a pic of one.

Thanks for the responses,
Betty L.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Hi Betty, I was going to send you this link by PM but thought Bob would like to see some too. I stopped after seeing 6 23' Awards listed. Follow the link below:
New & Used Rv's / Trailers & Campers for sale Ontario; Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers & Accessories for Sale on Kijiji Classifieds.

Enter Award in the search box.

Search here for posts on importing by Raya. She gave a very good summation of it. One thing you might want to consider is that Tom from Trillium RV drives up here to deliver his trailers and goes back home to California empty.

The brother of a friend works for a RV place, drives down empty and picks up trailers
in Indiana to bring back home to Ontario. Both are experienced with the border and requirements.

Then there is always Uship.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
These are great trailers. I have "award" saved in my craigslist favorite searches. There are 2 available in Vancouver, but I see they are going for far better prices in Ontario, thanks to the above link.
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

You are welcome,

Anecdotally, there appears to be more of a certain make or model of trailers closer to where they were manufactured. Bigfoot's tend to be on the west coast, 17' bolers tend to be in the prairies, Casita's closer to Texas.

I have 3 thoughts on the pricing of trailers in BC. All trailers seem to be priced higher in BC (like real estate in Vancouver). Intro Economics concept of supply and demand. In BC these two appear cummulative.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

Thank You for the info and links to the "Award" campers. But a bit to heavy to get my interest, nice design and detail though.
BTW: Earlier comments must also explain why so many Amerigo FT-16's are in the midwest. (Built in Bristol, IN) Just last week there were two Amerigo's in WI, less than 20 miles apart. I've yet to see one advertised on the west coast.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

I should add to that ...
As time increases, so does the dissapation from the original source.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Hey Roy,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I looked at these with great interest. I guess I did not realize just quite rare the one I had before was. Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got til its gone..........

Certainly, I will give this consideration, but hope to figure out a way to find one stateside first.

Not really familiar with UShip, but I could look into that.

Seems every time I find something I really like, it's so far away.........
Please to all spead out across the county, keep a look out for me. I would so appreciate any help.
Betty L.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

Are you saying that there is a natural "Diaspora", scattering the many tribes of travel trailers about the sands of the earth???

Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Are you saying that there is a natural "Diaspora"
Depends on the definition, this migration involves human intervention which violates the Star Trek prime directive.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

Hi Roy,
So, what about this brother of a friend who works for an RV place? Do they ever see any 23 foot Awards come through there?
Is it a possibillity to pull one over the border then they could sell it?
I tried to look for the post on importing, but after several tries netted nothing. Not too savvy on that angle I guess.
Thanks,
Betty L
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #14

I don't know if they do. Going through a stealership really jacks up the price. My suggestion was for shipping only since I saw a couple of the ones listed would be on his route. Especially the one in Sarnia.

Raya answered your questions on importing almost 4 years ago:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post154524
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

And this:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post149162
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Roy,
Sorry,-- I'm slow. You literally meant it was--my question of long ago. Not that Raya had once answered this question! Got it.
Thanks for the link. I will read all this over again. And check on that specific unit, too.
Thanks again,
Betty L.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

If I recall, there were a few not far from the major highways in South Western Ontario. My Friends brother most likely travels empty to Elkhart, IN. That is where most trailers seem to be made.

Almost anything near a border crossing would do. Any of these or somewhere between would help: Sarnia, Windsor, Fort Erie, Niagara Falls.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #18

Hey Roy,
Thanks,
I will look.
Betty L.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #19

You are welcome Betty.
If and when you are ready and serious, I will contact them. Don't like asking favours prematurely on postulation.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #20

Thanks Roy,
Quite understand. I once bought one in Utah, a 5th wheel Scamp in Utah over Ebay sight unseen, and that went OK. But one in Canada, sight unseen, from someone I do not know, with out even EBay, and then trying to rely on someone else to pick it up and get it stateside, does sound a bit scary.

But I have considered it. Even so. Thanks for the heads up as to what would be enroute for someone to pick up. That could prove helpful. We will see what happens.

Betty L.