'Want to Caravan to Alaska 2016? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Want to Caravan to Alaska 2016?

Hi, we're looking for anyone who might want to caravan to and through Alaska next spring/summer from California and beyond? There's been a recent thread asking, more generally, who wants to caravan anywhere. We're posting this specific request in hopes that about 10 trailers can travel on the same route. Basically, we would stagger our morning leaving times and meet at a particular location in the evening. I was going to say "by dark" but Alaska is the "Land of the Midnight Sun" in the summer ! 'Looking forward to hearing from you.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #2

Name: Sam
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
I'm headed that way in 2 weeks😁 leaving from Vancouver Island. Have fun on your caravan, I'm going solo which is a little bit scary but also quite exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Gilda, that will be one wonderful trip. We do not have our next trailer yet. Not planning out that far. Hope you can get a good group together.

That will be something to have you going with one caravan and another out east.

Hopefully you will be able to chronicle your progress for the less fortunate.

Sam, have a good trip and let us know all about it!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
First year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam mc View Post
I'm headed that way in 2 weeks😁 leaving from Vancouver Island. Have fun on your caravan, I'm going solo which is a little bit scary but also quite exciting.
Sam,

We soloed to Alaska our first year on the road. Really no issues. We used the Milepost book as a guide, well worth the cost.

The travel is slower and there's a lot to stop for. The trip there is just as good as Alaska.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We've been planning an Alaska trip since our retirement last year and would certainly be interested in joining in for at least part of the journey. Please keep us posted if this draws any interest and let me know if there's anything I can help with. Any southeastern US folks want to go to CA and north next year?

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

We soloed to Alaska our first year on the road. Really no issues. We used the Milepost book as a guide, well worth the cost.

Glad to hear you had no issues, I hope my trip goes equally smoothly. I purchased the 2015 milepost and am currently pre-reading through my proposed route. I also have an independent campground guide that reviews all campgrounds and not just advertises them.

I'm very excited to leave in 13 days, but still have lots to do.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

Florida
The campground I remember the most is Cottonwood on Klaune Lake in the Yukon. The only place we made reservations was at Denali. We stayed the furthest in the park you can stay at mile 30. This campground saves you time when you want to go deeper into the park. We spent about a week in Denali. Before entering Denali we stayed at a Private campground just outside the entrance for a night to get ready.

As to the campgrounds, we didn't worry about them too much, generally we were only staying a night or two. We also stayed in a number of state parks. We spent about 2 months in Alaska.

If you got to Denali there's a second visitors center at mile 62. Make sure you bring food if you take the bus rides into the park (worth it we saw 18 Grizzles) they sell no food at the center.

Bring a little sign with your name and city on it for the sign post forest at Watson Lake. Before Fairbanks in Esker is a little fire station turned into a theater. They show the best Northern Lights exhibition I've seen out side of the real thing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Gilda, how much time are you thinking of allowing for the Alaska portion of the trip? The thing that I always hesitate about as far as committing to any sort of organized travel with others is that most folks like to drive longer days than we like to do. Would be fun to have other FG Rvers to share the trip with though. This is a trip we've contemplated, but never done. I'm interested in at least keeping up with your plans.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Hi, might be interested, went in 2010' but would consider another trip. Bill in orange Ca

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Bill castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
"I also have an independent campground guide that reviews all campgrounds and not just advertises them."

Sam would like to know more about this guide and where you purchased it.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'So great to hear from so many of you so soon! My cousins lived in Fairbanks when I was a kid and all my extended Italian family caravaned there to visit. Mine was the only family who did not. In later years, when I was working, my mother and her sister, brother-in-law and grandson trailered to Alaska. Again, I was envious! I few years ago my immediate family took a Princess Cruise to Alaska and loved it. It left us begging for more!

In a PM I was asked about details.
1) route going and returning
2) whether you are primarily boondocking or staying in campgrounds
3) length of the trip
4) whether you would drive overland or take ferries between points

There are NO DETAILS as of yet as I'm hoping there are experienced folks out there, such as Norm and Ginny, who can advise us. Please let us know if any of you have favorite resources, books, websites especially oriented for folks traveling with trailers/RVs. This thread seems to be helpful Caravan to Alaska - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums. Books that were recommended are The Alaskan Guidepost and Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. Also look on the Internet at rv.net (Good Sam Club) and enter "Alaska" for your search.

Yes, traveling as a group has its pros and cons.
Pros:
The FUN of:
sharing stories at day's end.
creating a family of sorts.
creating shared memories.
possibly sharing in food planning and preparation and cleanup.
the safety in numbers. If there are mishaps/illnesses, etc. we can help out each other.
Cons:
Takes a bit more planning than going solo.
Taking into account a variety of preferences/personalities/etc.
Less flexibility

In reading about other folk's caravan experiences I learned a few things. We'd agree to a general itinerary at the start of the trip.
We'd need leaders/coordinators/wagon masters for various aspects of the trip: Itinerary, group meals, mechanical adviser, entertainment, tours, etc.
The idea is not to have all trailers travel on the road at the same time because that would just frustrate other drivers. We would stagger our exit (the previous night's camp) and arrival (the next night's camp) times which allows for folks to travel at their own pace. The last trailer would serve as back-up should anyone break down along the way.
We could travel north together and then disperse and go solo (or choose our travel companions) going south.
I expect this to be a 2-3 month trip as we are retired.

We have a year to plan this so let's start dreaming!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

Florida
Pre -read

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam mc View Post
Glad to hear you had no issues, I hope my trip goes equally smoothly. I purchased the 2015 milepost and am currently pre-reading through my proposed route. I also have an independent campground guide that reviews all campgrounds and not just advertises them.

I'm very excited to leave in 13 days, but still have lots to do.

Sam, Of course we did some pre-reading but as we drove Ginny would read it to me. When we used it it listed every sign, pull off spot...just everything and what I remember most was a place to by a huge pull apart cinnamon roll.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Last year we had the deal of a lifetime. We had been to Europe and weren't going to Alaska until later.
My brother had driven his motor home up there by himself and was getting lonely. We flew up there on frequent flier miles and he picked us up in motor home and we stayed with him for 10 days there.
Denali - surprised to find out this park is for the animals (not people). Campgrounds very nice but make sure you have reservations. We stayed there 3 nights which seemed nice.
Took a plane ride from Talkeetna over Denali! Awesome! Also took the scenic train ride there which was very nice and relaxing.
We camped in Seward and went whale watching and glaciers breaking off into the sea. We also hiked out on a glacier - not sure exactly the name but not far from Seward.
One thing I learned from my brother was that there is camping free all over the place and cheap forest service campgrounds are abundant.
Have fun!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
May I suggest that you look at ADVENTURE CARAVANS. They are mostly big motor homes and trailer people, but do an excellent job of planning and organizing the tours. They do a variety of Alaska trips, so you can find one that fits your plans. You pay them a fat fee up front, and they do the work.
We joined them in 2004 at Prince George BC for a 50 day tour of BC, Yukon, and Alaska, returning to P.G.
With your Scamp, you will be able to tuck into the smaller camp sites, and places the biggies can't go.
BUT, I hope you can get enough FGRVs to make a good adventure.
Happy Camping!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #15

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Gilda, I don't have my 17' Casita yet, so I don't know how things will go between now and your departure, but going to Alaska in a caravan of ~10 is my heart's desire. Please put me in the MAYBE pile and I'll try to make it happen. Thanks for being the point person!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #16

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
alaska

went in 2012 great trip drove alkan hiway. drive slow carry tube of super glue for windshield dings keeps from spider webbing worked for me. Have been in 49 states Alaska best my 2 cents thunter have a great trip
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #17

Florida
Adventure Caravans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
May I suggest that you look at ADVENTURE CARAVANS. They are mostly big motor homes and trailer people, but do an excellent job of planning and organizing the tours. They do a variety of Alaska trips, so you can find one that fits your plans. You pay them a fat fee up front, and they do the work.
We joined them in 2004 at Prince George BC for a 50 day tour of BC, Yukon, and Alaska, returning to P.G.
A two month Adventure Caravan to Alaska is about $9700, approximately $150 a day. They are good tours but awfully expensive and this is just the beginning, add fuel and food and ....

The other side of Adventure tours is it's two months long, in our view if you're driving all the way to Alaska, and it is a haul, you want to stay as long as you can..3 or 4 months. Most people only do it once.

Alaska & The Calgary Stampede | Adventure Caravans

I'm sure it's a great tour but for us it's about half what we spend in 6 months on the road, considering the cost of the tour and the other expenses for fuel, food and misc expenses.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
We would be interested. Will be leaving U.S.A. in the spring coming back via BC. An Alaskan trip would be the icing on the cake. . Keep us posted on the progress of plans.
Soon to be "Tiny Living in Retirement".
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #19

Name: Kenny
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
alaska???

We are new to the forum. Bought a 2006 Casita awaiting a new 21' Escape to be manufactured in February, 2016. We plan to drive from Houston to pick it up when the weather warms a bit and plan to see Alaska.
We may take a cruise ship out of Vancouver, but have considered pulling the Escape to Alaska. A caravan would be great. We would be very interested in a caravan but we plan to be at ETI as soon as weather permits. Maybe April or May? Have plans to make many stops on the return home including Glacier and Yellowstone. Kenny
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
as we drove Ginny would read it to me. When we used it it listed every sign, pull off spot...just everything and what I remember most was a place to by a huge pull apart cinnamon roll.
Unfortunately my traveling companions are two lab x dogs and although they are quite smart they don't read 😉 I've highlighted points that stand out so I can quickly scan and make note of the next leg of the tour. I've highlighted the cinnamon bun place 😁