Wanted Eriba puck or pan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
I need an Eriba Puck or Pan. I would prefer something for sale in Ohio, Indiana or Kentucky.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #2

There is an Eriba Puck for sale on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eriba-Puck_...sspagenameZWDVW.

My question is - does this look like it would be worthwhile or not. I'm afraid the front by the door has been damaged.

I need a small trailer like a Puck or a Pan because right at the moment, I only have a 4 cycle Saturn Vue and it's top towing rating is 1,500 pounds.

We currently have a 1978 VW Westfalia that we only travel in but my husband wants to maybe get a trailer. It is nice have air and heat in the Vue - which the VW doesn't have. We are fine in the VW once we settle in for the night.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
The door appears to only be dirty...On my computer it does not show any damage.

Paul

PS...This looks like it will work for you and the trailer seems to be in good shape.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #4

Any suggestions for a fair price? He has already had it one e-bay and it didn't meet his reserve. The highest bid was $1,650.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Puck are lite aluminum skin and stick built. Only the pop top is glass. Many have leak issues, but don't they all. With the dents near the door, I would look closely and ask many questions.

I am suprised he didn't get more bid on it. Average price for an average puck is in the 3-4 thousand range.

There is a very nice looking one HERE.

His price is actually quite reasonable if the photos do it any justice. Its a ways away from you tho. He says he will tow it to MY hood for 200. Wish I was still in the market. I like this one.

More are listed HERE

Call on them. I know at least the first listing was sold to a member here a few weeks ago, but the ad remains.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #6

Registry
PS... don't undereatimate yur saturn. I tow my Burro with a Honda Element, also rated at 1500 lbs., and a 4 banger.

Properly equipping your saturn (Cooler, brakes etc) could get you into a nice 13 foot egg.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #7

Has anyone ever seen the inside of a Puck? I thought Puck's were made with aluminum tubing? Actually, if it is wood, that would be better because we definitely want to change the windows. We really don't need much - even a stove is more than we have in the VW.

You mentioned leak issues - do the windows leak, the pop up top or someplace else?

What do you mean about the "cooler" for the Vue? I assume you are meaning a bigger fan?

We are gypsys and travel every day to a new spot. A teardrop would fit our sleeping needs but we need to use the "facilities" in the middle of the night and don't want to have to do the midnight stroll. The T@B would fit our needs perfectly BUT I don't think the Vue will tow it plus I think it is a little pricey.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #8

Registry
Yes, I have. Every one has had water problems, especially around the top, and the furniture is wood. Soaks up the moisture. The floor around the doors, and under the cabinets are wood and water runs down there.

The side suppurts or "stick" frame are tube, but as with any paneled outer skin.. the water creeps. The top is molded glass. I think the actuaters for the top are steel.. seems I see rust around the workings on a lot of them. Don't know for sure tho.

Here is a decent site on them Puck reno.

Tab is too heavy for your vue.

A transmission cooler (If you have an automatic) is like a radiator for your transmission. It helps keep the fluids cool while carrying the extra load. They are inexpensive, and Uhual can install one for you. Mine is the hefty manly one, and it was 140 installed.

If you have a stick, you don't need one.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #9

We have a manual transmission.

Well, not sure that I want a Puck then, if they all have water problems.

I guess I'm going to have to rethink this.

Anybody got a suggestion BESIDES get a bigger tow vehicle?

Anybody know anything about this one - http://fivestarrv.com/weis-craft/littlejoe/.

We are also thinking about maybe getting an enclosed cargo or utility trailer and doing the interior work outselves.

I like the idea of the front kitchen because that allows us to have at least a queen size bed - if not king size bed.

We are also thinking of putting in a "bunk" bed to allow us to take our grandchild with us. We have our plans figured out on how to accomplish that.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm moving this topic to General Chat...Jan you may get more replies to your inquiry.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Anybody know anything about this one - http://fivestarrv.com/weis-craft/littlejoe/.

We are also thinking about maybe getting an enclosed cargo or utility trailer and doing the interior work outselves...
The "Little Joe" is essentially the current rendition of the [b]Lite House design - search for that in this forum and the Albums and you'll get a lot more information.

At least one member of this forum has tried the approach of finishing a cargo trailer out. I think it can make sense, but I haven't tried it myself. I notice that a common design for small cargo trailers here uses a moulded fiberglass body (such as the locally made Shuttle), which might be a good starting point. Shuttle shows one of theirs fitted as a mobile office, which seems a lot like an RV to me...

It's not moulded fiberglass, but if the desire is for a teardrop with a toilet, then the R-Vision Cassette may be worth a look, although it is apparently out of production and probably still too heavy anyway. In looking for a Cassette reference, I ran across A Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers (By John Weeks), which has some relevant comparative data (although he entirely misses the moulded fiberglass options).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #12

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I saw the Shuttle - which is what got me thinking about doing the interior ourselves (well, actually hubby doing it and me being the goofer).

He does very good carpentry so I know he is quite capable of doing the interior. The added advantage would be that it would be our specifications instead of what someone else thinks we want or need.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
He does very good carpentry so I know he is quite capable of doing the interior. The added advantage would be that it would be our specifications instead of what someone else thinks we want or need.
You might want to chat with Mike Watters, he's converting a fiberglass toybox into a trailer. He could clue you into any challenges you may run in to.

Also consider getting a trashed lightweight molded fiberglass trailer, gut it and reconfigure to your wants/needs.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #14

That's what we are thinking of - either conversion of toyhauler or gutted trailer. Hubby would really like a new gutted trailer. We just want to buy the body with all the electrical and brakes, etc. put we do the inners.

We don't take our "home" with us when we are going camping. We just want an almost permanent bed like the VW Westfalia arrangement and some storage and stove and sink and a place for the port-a-potty.