Wanting to paint my scamp yellow so it resembles the lemon that it is - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #43

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Byron...it depends on the issues. If they are major, then it's going back. My money, my prerogative! Actually, if you have followed some other threads I'm involved in, links to production issues have been sent to Kent...FYI. I'm very familiar with their business model, very frustrating in this era and time consuming because without documented conversations, in writing, constant reminders of what was previously discussed often occur. This week my salesmen forgot it was going to be delivered, in our conversation. The process makes me nervous!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #44

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What is that saying, "to err is human, to forgive is divine". Anything made today can and will have manufacturing defects. Even new cars will have something not operating as it is supposed to be, that is why they offer warranties vs guarantees.
But the original question was posted as issues or problems with a new Scamp, so let's return to that vain and discuss issues owners have had to get fixed.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #45

Alabama
Totally agree Jim and Ron. I was looking for practice help...hence my trying to put the 'opinions' to rest.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #46

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Forgive????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is that saying, "to err is human, to forgive is divine". Anything made today can and will have manufacturing defects. Even new cars will have something not operating as it is supposed to be, that is why they offer warranties vs guarantees.
But the original question was posted as issues or problems with a new Scamp, so let's return to that vain and discuss issues owners have had to get fixed.

Hmmmm....

Seems I once saw a sign on the wall of a barracks that said:

"To Err is Human,
To Forgive IS NOT the Policy of the United States Marine Corps"
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #47

Alabama
As I said, I am hoping for the best. Not being fully retired and still working, I do not have the luxury of chasing down various places to fix all the problem issues several others have so helpfully described to watch out for. If they occur, I'm sure Scamp will be helpful in fixing them. Thats another reason I wanted a new unit....warranty! Hopefully my driver will be experienced. The one who still drove a few hundred miles and delivered a gashed trailer, obviously was not. I never 'assume' I know the break down of the word.

I'm paying for an undamaged trailer...if it is damaged it goes back

Again, just practical information for us newbies is appreciated. I learned yesterday about filling the black and grey tanks overnight, then draining them to make sure they have no leaks. Good info, as was flushing the black water tank with the grey water. I saw great pictures of how to make a locking latch for the fridge and locking mechanisms for the ball. Having Donna D wisely advise me to not have Scamp drill holes for the small slinky stinky hose tube in the front and people giving great descriptions and pictures of how they did it ( pvc, fence post, etc). These are the type of things which are most appreciated and the post intended.... before being taken OT.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #48

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
now back to our regularly scheduled broadcasting..........
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #49
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I'll give them another call. Thanks for all of your feedback
Now back to page 1. Hey Blake, how are things going? Did you get through to Scamp? Raz
Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #50

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
As I said, I am hoping for the best. Not being fully retired and still working, I do not have the luxury of chasing down various places to fix all the problem issues several others have so helpfully described to watch out for. If they occur, I'm sure Scamp will be helpful in fixing them. Thats another reason I wanted a new unit....warranty! Hopefully my driver will be experienced. The one who still drove a few hundred miles and delivered a gashed trailer, obviously was not. I never 'assume' I know the break down of the word.

I'm paying for an undamaged trailer...if it is damaged it goes back

Again, just practical information for us newbies is appreciated. I learned yesterday about filling the black and grey tanks overnight, then draining them to make sure they have no leaks. Good info, as was flushing the black water tank with the grey water. I saw great pictures of how to make a locking latch for the fridge and locking mechanisms for the ball. Having Donna D wisely advise me to not have Scamp drill holes for the small slinky stinky hose tube in the front and people giving great descriptions and pictures of how they did it ( pvc, fence post, etc). These are the type of things which are most appreciated and the post intended.... before being taken OT.
One little "heads-up"...
When we got ours, I attached the stinky slinky and filled it with fresh water, it held water without a drip. I put it back in the tube and after towing some distance and using the tanks, I hooked it up for "live" use and it leaked like a sieve(of course with black water)
The vinyl was so thin that rubbing on the inside of the tube during transit
wore it through in about 10 spots.
I adise you to consider a better quality drain hose and fittings before ever using the supplied tube.
I like the red ones, but check for the best combination of flex and vinyl thickness there are several good choices.

EZ Coupler Bayonet Sewer Kit - 20' - Valterra D04-0115 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World

Also, I have been to several campgrounds who required the use of the rubber sewer opening seal pictured below, Eventhough my system seals well without it, I carry one... it's only 2 bucks....
Attached Thumbnails
4496.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #51

Name: Blake
Trailer: 13' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Beer is is just rotten grain, and champaign is just sour grapes!
One report of a supposed defect usually sparks a feeding frenzy, blowing everything out of proportion. I am happy to compare Scamp quality with any RV product on the market.
In this case, it sounds like a few minor fixes and a learning curve will yield decades of satisfaction.
The moisture I was referring to was condensation from four people sleeping in it. It was raining when we got home from our trip so I couldn't air it out. The table appeared to soak it all up like a sponge. They did send a replacement but I didn't install it. I made a custom one to replace it. Guess I will have to do that with all the other cabinet doors
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #52

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
The moisture I was referring to was condensation from four people sleeping in it. It was raining when we got home from our trip so I couldn't air it out. The table appeared to soak it all up like a sponge. They did send a replacement but I didn't install it. I made a custom one to replace it. Guess I will have to do that with all the other cabinet doors
My Scamp doesn't have MDF doors but I have made replacement doors several times for rehab trailers. One sheet of high grade veneer plywood can make a full set of doors.(3/8" or 1/2")
I like the way EggCamper doors are made by beveling the plain door back toward the door opening.You could then add a nice coat of polyurethane with or without stain. You can reuse the original hardware.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #53

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
Stop worrying so much before it arrives... If there's a problem deal with it then not months in advance. Scamp builds a fine trailer for the price.. Some come out with problems most don't.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #54

Name: Blake
Trailer: 13' scamp
Kansas
When I said " thanks I'll give em another call" I wasn't being completely honest. I have had correspondence with scamp. They basically told me how to deal with the issues and fixes for them. It wasn't quite what I was looking for. I said I would call them as an easy way out of the topic. Looked like I opened a huge can of worms that I wasn't ready for.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #55

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Roger...what's your experience on the sewer hose tube in the front. My 13 ft is being built soon and they say they will only mount it on the front above the battery. Donna D has been a good source of info and she stated to not have them drill holes in the trailer and mount it else ware. My question is where? They said it would not fit under the tongue, nor the back bumper...I did get the bike hitch. Also, they said it will hold a 20ft hose but I believe I only get a 10ft one. Is this long enough? Will I need any kind of coupler when I actually use it? Thanks...H
I have my sewer hose holder mounted to the side of the tongue. I had to move it when I made and installed the generator/propane box on the tongue. I painted it black to match the tongue.

You can see I used a very large hose clamp in the front to mount it. I used some stapping to attach it in the back using the mounting wings on the hose holder with screws and nuts.

If I'd known when I ordered my Scamp that they attach the hose holder to the front of the trailer, I would have asked them not to attach it simply put it inside and I'd deal with it. I put silicone, rivets and caps where the hose holder used to be.

I contempted putting the hose holder under the trailer near the sewer exit valve. I opted not to do that as I'd need a helper to be inside to either hold the screw or the nut. So I figured on the side of the tongue was the easiest.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7592.JPG  
Old 08-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #56
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
This topic (and several tangents) has run its course. The thread has been closed.

Closed Thread