Wanting to paint my scamp yellow so it resembles the lemon that it is - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
RodgerDat
The shower drain was the problem on mine. It was assembled correct they just overlooked the fact the floor thickness. It was held on by one thread. Would not go any tighter. It was a fail waiting to happen. No threads on the first 1/4" of the fitting that screws to the floor drain. I worked in a machine shop this would not have made it past the drawings. The thermostat placement what were they thinking. Better yet not thinking? I can fix these things I have built two teardrops and restored a 1976 Scotty. Should I have to its brand new! Do not get me wrong I love it but?
Ken
I was using your post on the drain as an example of mistakes that do get made. Maybe it was supposed to be a drain with a long tail with the thicker floor? I once walked past a new hire doing assembly, noticed washers and lock washers being used as if they went in the same place. Guy was so busy trying to be productive he forgot what he had been told about the order. Good worker, rookie mistake. True someone should have been checking his work since he was new.

On the thermostat I say we blame an engineer But yeah I know what you mean someone decided to put it there and did not think it through. Hope you send them a message telling them what you had to do so they don't continue making the same mistake. Not everyone has your skill set so it would be a bigger problem for them.

When it's new you expect it to be "right" so I'm not making excuses for someone elses mistakes, just saying they do happen and when they do it's how they get dealt with that becomes important.

You are actually pretty understanding for someone coming from a field where half the thickness of a human hair is the difference between done right and sloppy work.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Front sewer hose holder.
We like ours. We use it for a short sewer hose that meets most of our needs. We have a longer holder at the rear of the trailer that is for a longer hose that is sometimes needed.

Rivets.
Our trailer is 22 years old. As far as I can tell they have not been replaced. During our ownership they have never leaked and probably wont becauae we use adhesive to hold the caps on.

Table, cabinet doors and moisture.
None of ours ever swelled except the one in front of the sink and only noticeable after 20 years. We replaced them all with 1/2" birch plywood for appearance sake, easy and inexpensive.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
People have been complaining about Scamp's thermostat placement for years and years, haven't they? Yet where is it still located.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
People have been complaining about Scamp's thermostat placement for years and years, haven't they? Yet where is it still located.
I'm wonder where else it could be located. Mine is located (13' Scamp) to the left of the sink on the side of cabinet towards the bed/dinette area.
Located anyplace in front of the furnace it would cycle off too soon. Located too high again it would cycle off too soon. Located too low the furnace would run too long. Located on the end of the kitchen cabinet by the stove, it would run too long. All in all the location is probably about as good as it can be in such a small area.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #25

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Scamp Delivery Process

Hey Everyone,

This question is for those of you who purchased your Scamp new. When you went to the Scamp factory in Backous did your salesperson offer or take the time to go over things in your new Scamp? Maybe that salesperson asked if you needed a demonstration on how to deploy the awning or go over other things that may be intimidating to a new owner. Other things that could be shown were items that the customer could have issues with if not used properly or with care such as posted by the OP like the refrigerator latch and the spring loaded poles one could purchase for the fridge. The cranks for the windows or whatever. The point is it benefits the customer and the company.

I realize some of this may be overwhelming and with the excitement of picking up your new trailer it might be all too much too remember which is only natural but at least it was covered and hopefully with an open invitation to call for questions and directed to the owners manual or other resources. Then again there might be seasoned Scamp owners just looking for a newer or larger trailer and don't need the standard walk around.

I'm just curious about their delivery process or if they just do paperwork, give you the tour, take your picture, throw you the keys and wishing you happy trails!

Blake please let us know how it turned out for you. I hope everything gets resolved so you can put all these worries behind you and have fun!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #26

Name: Ben and Janie
Trailer: 2013 16foot Scamp tug 2003 Ford Ranger
Kentucky
When I picked up my Scamp December 28 2012. I was showed how everything worked and my salesman and another employee along with myself and my wife did a walk around checking out the RV my salesman insisted this to be done to detect problems one loose cap was found and corrected when we got home with the Scamp I found a cracked light lens called Scamp a received the replacement in about 2 days in the mail any questions I have had they have been taken care of with one phone call My salesman was Allan. My Scamp is a 16 foot side bath
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #27

South Dakota
Ben that is good to hear! I didn't know what their processes were or how much time the sales staff had for their delivery/orientation. It's also good about their follow up to immediately correct any issues after you picked up your new trailer. Btw! Congratulations!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oliver is back in production.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We have owned a 2004, 13' Scamp and a 1994, 13' BigFoot. I did extensive updating and modifications to both and, hands down, the build quality vote goes to the Big Foot. From better fitting parts, to more accurate cutting of molded fiberglass inside components to methods of attachments to wiring quality, the Big Foot, while not M-B quality, was well above that of the Scamp.

BTW: Just tonight we sold the Lil'Bigfoot for a lot more than a comparable year Scamp would fetch. The buyer had looked at 3 Scamps and couldn't believe the difference in build quality.

But then again, price wise they were never in the same group when new either.

BTW: We sold it to get a bigger Big Foot.....
So you say.
The Li'l Bigfoot was a great trailer, about halfway between a Scamp standard and a Scamp deluxe in it's base form. Very desirable with great build quality.

To compare current trailers...
"Nearly" every one still being built seems to have the basic build quality to last the life of the buyer. Most of the poorer quality trailers and many of the great ones are history.
That being said, by their very nature, the fiberglass genre stands head and shoulders above it's competition with very rare exception.
All foibles considered, real or imagined, acknowledged or denied,in the event of some great vehicular catastrophe,I would still replace my Scamp with another like it.
It's not just Scamp.... Many of the SOBs have won hearts and earned loyalties, and each is perfect for someone.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hey Everyone,

This question is for those of you who purchased your Scamp new. When you went to the Scamp factory in Backous did your salesperson offer or take the time to go over things in your new Scamp? Maybe that salesperson asked if you needed a demonstration on how to deploy the awning or go over other things that may be intimidating to a new owner. Other things that could be shown were items that the customer could have issues with if not used properly or with care such as posted by the OP like the refrigerator latch and the spring loaded poles one could purchase for the fridge. The cranks for the windows or whatever. The point is it benefits the customer and the company.

I realize some of this may be overwhelming and with the excitement of picking up your new trailer it might be all too much too remember which is only natural but at least it was covered and hopefully with an open invitation to call for questions and directed to the owners manual or other resources. Then again there might be seasoned Scamp owners just looking for a newer or larger trailer and don't need the standard walk around.

I'm just curious about their delivery process or if they just do paperwork, give you the tour, take your picture, throw you the keys and wishing you happy trails!

Blake please let us know how it turned out for you. I hope everything gets resolved so you can put all these worries behind you and have fun!
Pinched for time, I insisted on picking my Scamp up on a Saturday,
My salesman nearly roiled at the prospect, saying that I could only get the service and orientation I deserved on a weekday.He did relent however (contrary to policy) and even arranged to have someone available for inspection and orientation on that Saturday.
The only thing missed was brake adjustment, which really only could be discovered with a road test.Since I could not return on the weekend, I stopped at Home Depot, bought a cheap screwdriver, fashioned a brakespoon, and adjusted the brakes in the parking lot.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #31

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Reading all this makes me a little worried. My 2014 Scamp will be delivered late Oct to my home. Living on opposite ends of the country, job, ailing parents, etc. prohibit me from making the two full day trip to Backus...thus, no orientation. This, combined with the fact that I am inexperienced with all this has me somewhat concerned. It seems everyone had issues, some minor some would not be to me...like Floyd needing to adjust his brakes. I just hope my delivery person takes his time and goes through the trailer the same as in Backus. I also hope, now that they no longer deliver by flat bed trailer, as advertised, that my driver drives with care. I have read about delivery problems including gashes in the side and not turning around for a new one, but delivering a damaged trailer anyway...which is very expensive to begin with. Here's hoping for the best .
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #32

South Dakota
I realize no matter what brand of fiberglass RV or even an Airstream there is a good chance that there may be a few items that may need to be fixed or adjusted during it's initial "shakedown" period. There is also a good chance I'll accidently break something not knowing how to properly use it or it may be a weak point in design just commonly equipped in many RV's. One thing for sure is the value of forums such as these to help share info such as the refrigerator latch being a prime example. Otherwise I'd never know.

Unfortunately I'm not very mechanically inclined like other egg owners in the forum. When you describe how you corrected or modified your trailers on your own I just think that is awesome! I'd need to take it to some repair shop or RV dealer to take care of it.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Reading all this makes me a little worried. My 2014 Scamp will be delivered late Oct to my home. Living on opposite ends of the country, job, ailing parents, etc. prohibit me from making the two full day trip to Backus...thus, no orientation. This, combined with the fact that I am inexperienced with all this has me somewhat concerned. It seems everyone had issues, some minor some would not be to me...like Floyd needing to adjust his brakes. I just hope my delivery person takes his time and goes through the trailer the same as in Backus. I also hope, now that they no longer deliver by flat bed trailer, as advertised, that my driver drives with care. I have read about delivery problems including gashes in the side and not turning around for a new one, but delivering a damaged trailer anyway...which is very expensive to begin with. Here's hoping for the best .
H,,
Might I suggest you start a new thread or topic concerning what to do with a new trailer. Ask questions about anything you're read here and look closely at the answers. Questions like fridge latch, how to keep it from breaking. How to level and set up in a camp site. Attaching to the tow vehicle and securing. How to open and close the main door. (you'd be surprised how many people want to "slam" it like a car door).

I think you'd get lots of ideas with some working better for you than others.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #34

Alabama
Thanks Byron. I have actually received some great advice so far on some of these issues. Pictures of latch solutions, sewer hose mods, etc. I'm learning a good deal from this site. I'm just concerned my delivery will be a quick hand off and I will be left to deal with minor repairs. I will do as you suggest though, and will also ask for what NOT to do as well. Thx H
Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #35
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's one that does bother me a bit is the table swelling to double thickness. After do a small bit of calculations it would be pretty difficult to get enough water to do that unless the ceiling vent was left open during a heavy rain.
I agree Byron. I had this swelling happen in a rental property when a sink was left running overnight and clogged. The next day, the cabinet door (made of a similar material) had swelled to between 3 and 4 times its original thickness - but it took an awful lot of water to do that, not a "little moisture".
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up Delivered via Flatbed Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
From what I have read & from taking to our salesman in Backus (we visited the factory on a Saturday, but didn't pick the Scamp up ourselves; our son picked it up & was shown the trailer, etc.), Scamps are delivered on a flatbed trailer. Therefore, less likely to get hurt in transit. The driver should be able to go over the trailer with you.

From asking the salesman about Casita being a branch of Scamps. He said the first Casitas were created & made by not a brother or cousin of the Scamp owners, but by an employee. First ones were made next door to the Scamp factory.

He moved the operation to Texas, but went bankrupt there. He came back to MN and Texas Bankers took over the company. The original Casita maker is back working for Scamp. He is one of the Deliver Truck Drivers. According to the salesman.

If possible, take photos of the demonstration (video would be great) to refresh your memory later.

If anything seems to be broken or whatever. Take photos to document & keep a good log describing what was wrong, etc.

Then call Scamp. Your salesman should be able to help. Might ask the salesman now about what one should do if the Scamp arrives damaged.

Yep! One can only "Hope for the Best"!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #37

Alabama
Good idea Adrian on the video. Yes, their materials say they deliver on a flatbed but they do not do that anymore. They hire drivers to tow them. . FYI.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just remember, you can always refuse delivery if it is damaged and have him deliver it back to the factory. This puts you in a better position legally to force them to provide you with an undamaged one, later. Once you accept delivery, the burden shifts from them to you.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember, you can always refuse delivery if it is damaged and have him deliver it back to the factory. This puts you in a better position legally to force them to provide you with an undamaged one, later. Once you accept delivery, the burden shifts from them to you.
A bit of a dilemma I've puzzled over for quite some time. At delivery you have a deposit +$ invested. You refuse delivery, away goes the trailer. A lawyer could quickly cost more than the cost of the trailer. Sight unseen long distance purchasing is a gamble for sure. I'm not sure I'd do it again. Raz
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
..... Unfortunately I'm not very mechanically inclined like other egg owners in the forum. When you describe how you corrected or modified your trailers on your own I just think that is awesome! I'd need to take it to some repair shop or RV dealer to take care of it.
And that self serve ability does make a huge difference in how much of a problem a problem is.

Despite the fact that many older (and even new) FGRV's are purchased by DIY types does not remove the need for manufacture to step up to the plate for those who are not.

What this forum does a great job at is offering advice on what solution to ask for, or what the failed part is called. Or possibly what they did to fix it, and in many cases walk the person through the process if they are willing to try on their own or what to ask the local shop to do.

If not for the discussion here and the mention of brake adjustment spoon I would not have been reminded that I might want to throw that into my bag-o-tools when my axle gets replaced with one that has brakes.
Closed Thread