Was There Ever A Fiberglass Motorhome? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The Kings Highway is a beast!

Leocraft actually made a few motorhomes too, many more than trailers. I think they were under the EEE umbrella.

The Winnebago was a Rialta and a La Sharo. They sell like hotcakes here at the dealership I work at. And for big bucks.

The Rialta is on a VW chassis, the La Sharo is a Renault. I transported a Rialta to Quartsite a few weeks ago. I pulled over in Tehachapi to get a few hours sleep and it was actually pretty nifty. Quick bed set up and very comfy.

I parked it out on the frontline in Quartzsite when I arrived. It sold in 1/2 hour. Amazing.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
THAT's what I was trying to think of t'other day - but I had it stuck in my tiny mind that it wuz on a Toyota chassis, and so when I tried to find it via "gargoyle" I got only the Class C's

Then I came across the le Sharo - knew it wasn't the one I was actually thinking of either but couldn't "gargle" anything else. Yes - its the Rialta I was thinking of!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Does anyone know if Mobile Traveler ever made a van type molded fiberglass rv? I know they made a van type and I seen them years ago but not recently. In another thread, where they are discussing a Van Mate, which is not the one which the New Horizons factory made (formerly, Mobile Traveler) and now they have a Horizon molded fiberglass in classified which is different from the Van Mate that I had seen. So, I am trying to figure out if the Horizon molded fiberglass could be made at the New Horizons factory if they would have had a mold left over by Mobile Traveler. New Horizons called theirs a "Van Mate" short of being original but it was a very nice unit, good quality cabinets, etc.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool How about the Rialta?

One of the members of our Good Sam Chapter owns one.

Here's a picture:

Winnebago Rialtas for Sale | Used on Oodle Marketplace

Apparently made by Winnebago. $34,900.
Attached Thumbnails
Rialta 2002.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Molded Fiberglass Motorhomes

There were a number of molded fiberglass motorhomes built on the Toyota pick-up and 1 ton chassis from 1973 until at least 1992. (A few were also built on Datsun/Nissan chassis 1983-1988) The most well known are the Sunraders, built in Vallejo, CA, first as a slide in camper, then as a motorhome, 1972- 1992 and also in Elkhart, IN 1981-1988. I have owned 4 Sunraders and currently own the last production unit from the Elkhart facility, a 19', 1989 Sunrader Adventure-II pop-up.
Other major builders included Chinook, 1973(?)-1979, Mirage 1980(?)-1986 and a very few others. Several sites for enthusiasts, one with over 6000 members, exist on-line.
BTW: I also owned a TRAVCO molded fiberglass, Class "C", a few years back as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just spotted this one on eBay. Description says only 16 made using 3 different truck brands?? Got to wonder about that. Raz

1987 Scamp Motorhome Camper Travel Trailer Fiberglass Camper *** NO RESERVE** 1987 Scamp Motorhome Camper Travel Trailer Fiberglass Camper *** NO RESERVE** - eBay (item 330714149479 end time Apr-16-12 18:46:53 PDT)
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
This particuar eBay listing has got members of the Toyota motorhome group all abuzz as well. Shame it wasn't put on a Toyota or a Nissan 1 ton chassis. No one over there has ever seen one on either one of those chassis.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Aren't Born Free's molded fiberglass, except for the passenger, driver engine part? They are still made today.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler
There was a Glastron for sale in Marietta, GA about two years ago - they were asking $1200 for it and it was for sale for a while. I would drive by it on the way to our favorite Taco Truck and I kept thinking I need to buy that...

Just about the time I decided to pull in and offer them $800 for it - it disappeared. I hope it went to a good home as the Glastrons are really cool. This one was tan - if it had been one of the turquoise ones I would have bought it no matter what the wife thought. I don't think it would have made it up my driveway though.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
saw a picture of one of those ranger based ones,,,would love to get my grubby paws on one of those.
Just saw a Dodge Dakota Scamp motorhome on Craigslist this week for sale.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote