Washington State Parks closing ?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #15

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
If you mean they charge more for non residents, sure. But we have always had great camping in Washington State Parks, and it goes without saying that many are gorgeous.

Even our trailer was first "christened" at a Washington State Park.
Gorgeous maybe ! Expensive definitely.
When we traveled West we avoided Washington State Parks because we couldn't afford the experience.
Oregon and its' State Parks said welcome and we accepted their invitation and hospitality.
Washington state is free to charge non residents at any level they see fit but don't expect us to just show up and gladly bend over.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Well, being a WA state resident, I of course haven't felt your pain at the gate, so to speak, but we aren't even close to the ridiculous prices they charge for a site in CA.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
tua

Name: Tua
Trailer: Happier Camper
California
Learn something new everyday....are there any other states that charge non-residents more than residents?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Probably a lot of states that like to "stick it" to their out-of-state visitors.
Politicians never have enough pockets to stick their hands into.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
So if I go to Washington and agree to pay can I get a site. Or do I have to make a reservation 7 months ahead at 8 am and find all the sites booked by 8:15 am like I have to do in my home state of California? Do you also have State sites in premium locations with maybe a hundred spots and out of those 100 sites 4 have active campground hosts and 1 extra host site and 4 handicap sites you cant reserve and are drive up only so they sit empty most of the time because everyone has to book 7 months out at 8 am.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Pretty sure everyone knows that giving money to a politician is about equivalent to giving booze to an alcoholic. He will just slurp it all down and then look around for more.
Hey Floyd, and all the rest that love to bash politicians, how about stepping up and running for office?
Easy to sit in the peanut gallery, but what are you going to do about it?
Me?
I'm doing nothing. Too lazy. Don't have better ideas.
I'll just post crap like this.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #21

NW Wisconsin
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Learn something new everyday....are there any other states that charge non-residents more than residents?
Yes Wisconsin , non residents pay a $ 5 penalty
A camping site for one night with electricity ( No water , No sewer , No WIFI ) for a non resident is $33 Plus a $10 reservation fee + a $11 park sticker + tax or a total cost of approx $53 per night.
You can stay a KOA with far more amenities at a far lower cost.
We live in Wisconsin and don't camp at their State Parks mainly because it's not economically feasible .
We recently stayed at a private campgrounds located on the same lake as a Wisconsin State Park . We paid $31 / night for a site with electricity , water , sewer , WIFI and cable TV.
Kind of makes you wonder
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hey Floyd, and all the rest that love to bash politicians, how about stepping up and running for office?
Easy to sit in the peanut gallery, but what are you going to do about it?
Me?
I'm doing nothing. Too lazy. Don't have better ideas.
I'll just post crap like this.
I held public office for 17 years and voted for fiscal responsibility the whole time.
As you can tell, I've never been much of a "politician" though!
If I recall... the country suffered most when the "peanut gallery" was in charge.
Have WE crossed the line yet???
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #23

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I held public office for 17 years and voted for fiscal responsibility the whole time.
As you can tell, I've never been much of a "politician" though!
If I recall... the country suffered most when the "peanut gallery" was in charge.
Have WE crossed the line yet???
Hi: floyd... Seems like we have all crossed the line into the "State" of insolvency. Here in Ontario we now qualify for the seniors discount at our Provincial Pks. $37.52... such a nice round figure, but don't expect to talk to a human bean. Just a slot machine to put your CC into!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #24

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Yes Wisconsin , non residents pay a $ 5 penalty
A camping site for one night with electricity ( No water , No sewer , No WIFI ) for a non resident is $33 Plus a $10 reservation fee + a $11 park sticker + tax or a total cost of approx $53 per night.
You can stay a KOA with far more amenities at a far lower cost.
We live in Wisconsin and don't camp at their State Parks mainly because it's not economically feasible .
We recently stayed at a private campgrounds located on the same lake as a Wisconsin State Park . We paid $31 / night for a site with electricity , water , sewer , WIFI and cable TV.
Kind of makes you wonder
That's such a shame. The parks are there for people to enjoy. When the powers that be charge too much for access, nobody wins - not even the park service.

There are a few states where we now avoid State Parks and use private campgrounds or back country camping instead, mainly because of the exorbitant fees.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #25

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
That's such a shame. The parks are there for people to enjoy. When the powers that be charge too much for access, nobody wins - not even the park service.

There are a few states where we now avoid State Parks and use private campgrounds or back country camping instead, mainly because of the exorbitant fees.
Contrast the cost of a Wisconsin State Park with an Oregon State Park. . We camped at a beautiful Oregon SP in 2015 and paid $23 / night for a campsite with water , electric and sewer plus we did not have to pay for a park entrance sticker .We planned on staying for only 3 or 4 days in Oregon but ended up staying for two weeks.
Some states have figured out that tourists who spend time in their state also spend money in their state.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Some states have figured out that tourists who spend time in their state also spend money in their state.
So true. Make it attractive enough for tourists and the revenue end will take care of itself. Everyone benefits, from the guy who pumps gas to the owner of the cafe. Same applies to businesses.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #27

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
So if I go to Washington and agree to pay can I get a site. Or do I have to make a reservation 7 months ahead at 8 am and find all the sites booked by 8:15 am like I have to do in my home state of California? Do you also have State sites in premium locations with maybe a hundred spots and out of those 100 sites 4 have active campground hosts and 1 extra host site and 4 handicap sites you cant reserve and are drive up only so they sit empty most of the time because everyone has to book 7 months out at 8 am.
Depends. Very popular sites in popular parks may book 9 months in advance. Starting at 7 am. But there is a penalty for canceling if someone holds them for a long time and then cancels. Other sites even in popular parks, especially non weekend, can be had with a few days notice. Just depends where and when. Usually not 4 campground hosts. (The thing that irks me most is non pet-friendly cabins and yurts (about 10-20% allow pets and the other 80% sit empty many weekdays)- and they charge a pet fee so it isn't an issue of cleaning, they'd get more money if they opened at least half to pets. ) Most of the time when I've camped on weekends in the summer the ADA -only sites are occupied. Lots of last minute drive up traffic for any empty sites.

I don't mind paying a non-resident fee in other states, if they have one. The Washington parks are very nice and well-maintained at least right now. Right now camping is pretty much paid for by reservation fees, though, not that much comes from taxes, though park overall is supported by taxes. Campground fees in Washington can be high. But they usually have non-utility sites at lower fees.

I don't like the Discover pass- I think all the various passes in Washington truly discourage visitors more than any out of area fees do. And it does nothing for campers though I buy one to support the parks.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #28

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The problem with State Parks here is kind of the same as everything else- underfunded. People who don't use them think they shouldn't have to pay. (But want us to pay for their city streets and parks which we don't use.) But most popular parks are full a lot of the time so funding should not be the issue it is- the problem is our legislature because of short-sighted voters and politicians who don't want to make people pay taxes for fear of not being re-elected. Things cost money. Taxes or fees, your choice. Somebody has to pay for them. If people all only pay for what we personally use, we have toll roads, toll parking lots, admission at all parks (California has a LOT of that), high campground fees, private schools, etc, and a lot of people who can't afford to do any of it.