Washington State Parks closing ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Washington State Parks closing ??

https://wspf.org/act-now-we-need-you...ep-parks-open/
I have the feeling this is more of a "bluff" or grandstanding on the part of some politicians, but I also remember trying to get into Grand Canyon NP on October 1, 2013. That was the day the federal government shut down and the park was closed.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Same thing happened a year or so ago but they passed emergency funding in time. Hope that happens again.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I hope you filled out the form and submitted it to show your support of getting the funding!

We filled it out for Paul with one park we plan to visit, then closed it, reopened it, and filled it out again for me with a different park we hope to visit this year.

Let 'em know we're out here and that we care!

Kai
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Yes it is bluffing and grandstanding by politicians...

...That doesn't mean state budgets aren't severely strained. It appears Illinois is likely to in effect go bankrupt soon. California is close behind. One challenge, is pension promises that weren't funded. That said, it is not our topic here, but parks will suffer.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Registry
Revenue projections for Washington state are slightly up | The Seattle Times

I hope it doesn't come to that. I wonder if they would return reservation fees if it did?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

Registry
The site said they absolutely would. yes, return reservations if they have to close.

If they do, the SAG will meet elsewhere instead on September 23, maybe just at my fully-fenced house in Renton Highlands for a potluck meal and pet events...if you wanted to bring your rig and park it along the residential street for an open house that'd be fine, but don't feel you have to.

Seattle Area Gathering shall not be denied!

Kai

Kathleen near Renton
Paul
Nimble
Cinder
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
The site said they absolutely would. yes, return reservations if they have to close.

If they do, the SAG will meet elsewhere instead on September 23, maybe just at my fully-fenced house in Renton Highlands for a potluck meal and pet events...if you wanted to bring your rig and park it along the residential street for an open house that'd be fine, but don't feel you have to.

Seattle Area Gathering shall not be denied!

Kai

Kathleen near Renton
Paul
Nimble
Cinder
My guess is that even if they close briefly it won't last that long. And odds are it won't happen at all. (Though my friend who hiked the last leg of the Pacific Crest Trail illegally during the US gov closure would beg to differ!)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

Registry
Pretty sure you're completely right...hope you are, it'd be a lot better at Dash Point...

I'm a contingency gal.

Kai
Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
https://wspf.org/act-now-we-need-you...ep-parks-open/
I have the feeling this is more of a "bluff" or grandstanding on the part of some politicians, but I also remember trying to get into Grand Canyon NP on October 1, 2013. That was the day the federal government shut down and the park was closed.
That is a private group who has good intentions but essentially are at present time taking advantage of the passing of the annual state budget to flush out their own mailing list. They then have your email information, name etc to come e-begging to you for more funds for their group. Not saying they are not doing something worthwhile, just saying that is what this is really all about. You could write directly to your congressmen without giving this group your personal information.

I don't know about you but I don't want any more unsolicited mail in my email box or in my physical mailbox. It is hard enough to keep that to a minimum for when I go traveling.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Been here, done that. Washington State parks are NOT friendly to out-of-state residents. I'm not sure when I'll ever camp in Washington State again... and it's a border state where I live! Oregon figured it out.. y'all come and GAMBLE. We decided years ago to use our Lottery dollars to support our State Parks. In the meantime, Washington parks are struggling... if you are a tax paying resident in Washington... you're okay. In Oregon, we want your money to support not only the parks but close by towns. We don't care if you live in Florida or Oregon... everyone pays the same
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Been here, done that. Washington State parks are NOT friendly to out-of-state residents.
If you mean they charge more for non residents, sure. But we have always had great camping in Washington State Parks, and it goes without saying that many are gorgeous.

Even our trailer was first "christened" at a Washington State Park.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
If you mean they charge more for non residents, sure. But we have always had great camping in Washington State Parks, and it goes without saying that many are gorgeous.

Truth. But so is Oregon, Utah, Montana and Florida. Give me a better reason to visit YOUR state other than "Gorgeous." That fits lots of states in the U.S. You want me to visit and spend my money? Don't penalize me, because my home domicile is elsewhere. Figure this out....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Truth. But so is Oregon, Utah, Montana and Florida. Give me a better reason to visit YOUR state other than "Gorgeous." That fits lots of states in the U.S. You want me to visit and spend my money? Don't penalize me, because my home domicile is elsewhere. Figure this out....
I totally agree, but it's not just camping. I travel extensively on business, and am routinely penalized on my hotel bill for example, because I'm an out of stater. I thought that was a hotel's purpose.

In any case, while it's an irritant to me, it's not enough of one to keep me from camping there. Perhaps if I lived next door in the beauty of Oregon, with my pick of dozens of beautiful campgrounds, I would feel very differently.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...That doesn't mean state budgets aren't severely strained. It appears Illinois is likely to in effect go bankrupt soon. California is close behind. One challenge, is pension promises that weren't funded. That said, it is not our topic here, but parks will suffer.
The OP has served us well with a "heads up" on the possibility of closures.
Still...It is crystal clear why IllAnnoy is broke, but we can only nibble around the edges here just to prevent the thread from becoming blatantly political.

Pretty sure everyone knows that giving money to a politician is about equivalent to giving booze to an alcoholic. He will just slurp it all down and then look around for more.

Let's all go tell our employers that we're "underfunded"!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post

Gorgeous maybe ! Expensive definitely.
When we traveled West we avoided Washington State Parks because we couldn't afford the experience.
Oregon and its' State Parks said welcome and we accepted their invitation and hospitality.
Washington state is free to charge non residents at any level they see fit but don't expect us to just show up and gladly bend over.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Well, being a WA state resident, I of course haven't felt your pain at the gate, so to speak, but we aren't even close to the ridiculous prices they charge for a site in CA.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Learn something new everyday....are there any other states that charge non-residents more than residents?
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Probably a lot of states that like to "stick it" to their out-of-state visitors.
Politicians never have enough pockets to stick their hands into.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
So if I go to Washington and agree to pay can I get a site. Or do I have to make a reservation 7 months ahead at 8 am and find all the sites booked by 8:15 am like I have to do in my home state of California? Do you also have State sites in premium locations with maybe a hundred spots and out of those 100 sites 4 have active campground hosts and 1 extra host site and 4 handicap sites you cant reserve and are drive up only so they sit empty most of the time because everyone has to book 7 months out at 8 am.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Pretty sure everyone knows that giving money to a politician is about equivalent to giving booze to an alcoholic. He will just slurp it all down and then look around for more.
Hey Floyd, and all the rest that love to bash politicians, how about stepping up and running for office?
Easy to sit in the peanut gallery, but what are you going to do about it?
Me?
I'm doing nothing. Too lazy. Don't have better ideas.
I'll just post crap like this.