Wasps In The Roof Vent! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Minit 13 ft
Unhappy

Hey gang,

I was cleaning up our Chubby yesterday; while cranking the roof vent all the way up--I've kept it ajar through the winter--I noticed some a few winged and stingered friends buzzing in there. They weren't too happy to be disturbed! They were even less thrilled when I got the step ladder and removed their nest--not the smartest thing to do, I know, but nobody and nothing is going to invade our baby! Anyway, picture a grown man running around the camper and front yard waving his hands while half a dozen wasps are in quick pursuit. Fortunately, I wasn't stung, but I did get rid of them varmits!

Later!

Our site: http://mypeoplepc.com/members/kellychris/chubbybunny/
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Chris amusing story and good to hear you weren't stung. The wasps are out early this year, I have seen them buzzing around my storage shed where I keep my Scamp. Wasps and yellow jackets love all the vent holes, nooks and crannies on RV's. Over the years I have encountered many wasp nests on my and other's rigs. Unlike you I have been stung which was painful for me but can be fatal in you happen to be allergic. In the spring (after your rig has been sitting since last season) is usually when the wasps try to build nests. The best time of the year to get rid of any wasps or yellow jackets is spring and early summer before the nest grows too large, then you will have problems. Pull up a lawn chair on a warm sunny day and observe where they are going into you egg. Once you figure out where they are entering (this indicates a nest), go out in the early morning when its still chilly (the adults will be semi-dormant) and hit them with that long range wasp spray or I've use a shop vac to vacuume them up. Be careful and good hunting!

PS, wasps are actually a beneficial insect. They kill and eat lots of garden pest such as catapilers and flies. I usually don't bother them if they are in a location where there is little chance of humane/bug interaction. I had many nests under my house eaves and left them be with never a problem. Live and let live. But if its them or you, make it them!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Yep, I've had a couple of run-ins with them myself. There was the time that one of them wanted a ladder worse than I did ... or so he thought. I leaned right against him and he didn't take too kindly to it. Poked me in the leg and really gave me what for! That was when I found out that they where building a condo under one of the rungs.

This reminds me, too, of mud daubers. Be sure and check during your spring clean up to see if any have moved in -- especially in any roof vents for plumbing if you have them. One had pretty much closed off one of mine -- probably before I got it.

By the way, Chris, you probably looked less silly running and waving your arms as you would have with stings all over you. Good evasion tatics!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
It' allways been my theroy that a good run is better than a bad stand.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The wasps set up shop inside the louvers of the side window shade last summer. I had to take the thing off the side of the trailer which I don't like to do. Your note is a good reminder that I might consider temporarily putting some screen material over the outside for at least the early, nest-building part of the season.

As for the bats in my belfry, I've never been able to get them out!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
The wasps set up shop inside the louvers of the side window shade last summer. I had to take the thing off the side of the trailer which I don't like to do. Your note is a good reminder that I might consider temporarily putting some screen material over the outside for at least the early, nest-building part of the season.

As for the bats in my belfry, I've never been able to get them out!

Quote:
I might consider temporarily putting some screen material
I put some screening on my furnace vents.. but i think i will also put some behing the luvers of the hot water outside door and the outside door to the back of the friggie. It will keep the critters out and still have enough air venting...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Becareful putting screening on vents. All screening reduces air flow. Will the reduced air flow effect your furnance, fridge, etc. Most likely.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Bee careful!

I spend a LOT of time outdoors. Hiking, camping, backpacking. I've been stung so often and by so many flying insects that a lot of types for a long time began not to bother me too much. With the exception of large hornets. One day some years back I was sitting out eating a sandwich at the picnic table in our yard. As I was sitting there minding my own business, this enormous hornet landed on my right forearm. I decided to just hold still and not do anything to upset it, and suddenly it stung me, for no reason I can say. The pain was hideous and my forearm swelled tremendously around the sting area. I have to say it was the most painful sting I have suffered (and I have suffered dozens). I hope never again to be stung by such an insect.

The only other thing that came close to that kind of pain from a sting was when, as a teenager, I rolled over on a common scorpion as I slept. My right shoulder was crushing him, so the scorpion had tremendous opportunity to fill me with its poison. I'd been stung by these common scorpions before, but never like this. The sting area was so full of poison that over the following weeks the wound crusted over and dead flesh crumbled off like dried paper. Yes, it was pretty horrible.

But as far as bees and yellowjackets and common wasps...it hurts when I get stung by them, but I barely acknowledge it.

One thing I definitely want to avoid, though, are those huge red wasps that we have down here in the South. I've yet to be stung by one, and I'd like to keep it that way.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote