Wasps, Mice, and Bears... Oh My! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Christopher
Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Oregon
WASPS

I already told you all about the wasp experience a week or so ago. There's another chapter to the story: I'm changing out the city water inlet and sink drain covers on our Chubby. Intelligent me didn't cover the old hole left by the sink drain. Two days after "solving" the wasp issue, I walk into the Chubby to find about three wasps doing the "Sting His A$$" dance--they had been waiting for me! I managed to get them out of there without killing them--didn't really want to do that and cover the hole. My wife sat on the front porch and just laughed.

MICE

Last year Montana, particularly Yellowstone Park, we had a little mouse visitor get into our Chubby. The only way he (not an expert on mouse gender identification, but for the sake of this story, this mouse is male) could have entered was through the door. In any case, what was most interesting was getting the thing out of there! We could never find him, but at night we could hear him scurrying around, nibbling on this and that, and leaving his fecal pellets. I finally snapped, took every single thing out of the Chubby, opened the door, went inside and banged pots and pans and screamed. I'm sure campers nearby were packing their stuff to leave, for there is this seemingly normal man banging pots and screaming in his camper while his family sits outside and laughs. It didn't work. The following night he was back to scurrying and nibbling and pooping. We figured he could just stay. We left that site to move to Pebble Creek campground in the NE corner of Yellowstone Park. The next night, he was gone! Not sure what happened to him. I hope he didn't bounce out of the Chubby during the drive!

BEARS

My wife and I took the Chubby to Montana/Yellowstone Park on our honeymoon nearly three years ago now. We had just purchased our Chubby, so it was still rough, but usable. My wife had packed the Chubby with our clothes, food, etc. I wasn't sure where everything was. I was soon to find out though! One night in Canyon Village campground, I heard this sniffing right outside the fiberglass wall. Only 3/16" of an inch separating me from sniffing! Whatever it was bumped into the camper. My wife awoke, asking me what I was doing. I grabbed the flashlight and pointed it outside the window and was able to make out something lumbering away. I'm pretty sure it was a little, curious bear making its rounds. A few nights later at Pebble Creek campground, there was more sniffing AND whatever it was bumped into the hitch, shaking my wife awake. I kept the flashlight off. Needless to say, we had a hard time sleeping the remaining few nights in the park. I came to find out that my wife had packed some bread and crackers in the compartment right there next to our heads. The bears must have smelled that and came a sniffin' and a bumpin'.

We often reminisce about these unique memories.

Have a good day!
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Your adventures are

Or

Keep up the great stories.

Hmmm..... WELL THERE I was face to face with .....
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
OH MY GOSH... bears.. I highly respect them. So far- I've not camped in places with Grizzly bears!!! I always got a cabin when we vacationed out west in Yellowstone,etc......

GEESH.. a bear could rip into a camper like it was a potato chip bag!! That sorta makes me REALLY nervous! hahaha Yeah- I know they can break into any old cabin too, but I guess I just feel safer in one!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974
Bear stories ......
Before our Trillium days we were tent camping in Jasper, Canadian Rockies. My wife and I were in a tent my young children and my mother (Yes, I'm a demon for punishment!) were in a van. My all-metal cooer filled with food was on the picnic table - I thought that if the cooler was air tight (which it was) it was also smell proof - Wrong!
A young bear came in the middle of the night, we awoke to find him peering into our tent. He found our cooler and rolled it around until it opened and the contents spilled out - he then took a pound of butter and lay down under the nearest tree. My wife and I were out of the tent quick, quick, quick and into the van.
Having Scots blood in me it hurt to see all that food lying on the ground going to waste so I slipped out of the van, keeping an eye on the bear, scooped up the food into the cooler again and snapped it shut.
I think that it was the snapping sound that alerted the second bear that I had not seen ........
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
a bear could rip into a camper like it was a potato chip bag!
Crunchy on the outside.
Chewy in the middle.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote