Watch Live Eagle on Nest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
This is really interesting. This guy set up a webcam on an eagle's nest up in Vancouver area (Hornby Island) and I can sit here in AZ and watch and HEAR it live. The first link below is to the viewer (IE needed it appears) and the next link to the background, the current text of which is also posted below.

Birdwatching from your easychair!

http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/inde...any.videoUpdate

http://forum.hancockhouse.com/articl...60321210558763

Hornby Island Bald Eagles laid their first egg of this season at about 1745 (5:45PM) on March 21, 2006!!

Second egg was laid March 24. (Incubation takes about 36 days)

PROJECTED HATCHING DATES: April 26 and 30.

Background on the Hornby Island Bald Eagle nest:

This nest is located on Hornby Island in the Gulf Islands area of British Columbia.

This pair has been nesting in this nest for about 19 years -- usually producing 2 young per year.

GETTING THE LIVE CAM:

In September of 2004 Doug Carrick organized that a video camera be placed in the nest. This was the one month period when the eagles were absent and the climber's presence would not deterr future breeding.

He then had the live feed brought to his house across the road so he could see the live action in his living room -- and record the action on his vhs.. That is only the beginning of what is incredible. He got to witness the details of how the eagles bring in and place the branches and mosses. He had an incredible view into the nesting behavior of these eagles.

EGG LAYING: Doug was present when the first egg was laid and had his recorder going. What he got on tape is I am sure recorded here for the first time. The female's head is less than a foot from the camera and she goes into labor -- straining and grunting (yes captured on the sound tape) and ending with her standing up to proudly look down at a beautiful white egg. I was when I saw that tape that I asked Doug if we could bring this live action the next year to the world through Streaming Video.

Doug immediately said yes. The last six weeks of trying to get the bugs worked out of the transmission has not gone so easily. At first we suspected the computer we use to compress and digitize the video, however it now appears that inconsistent network connect (via the Telus ADSL) is the problem. On the other hand, the fact that any high speed Inernet is available on this relatively remote island (2 ferry rides from Vancouver Island!) is a wonder of itself. We looked at putting in a radio link but even that would be next to impossible due to limited lines of site to this particular part of Hornby (East side with no direct view of either Vancouver to the Southeast or Comox to the Northeast) and Texada Island in the way of a view to Powel River.

We're still open to suggestions if any technical reader has them. Please contact Richard Pitt, richard@pacdat.net

WHO IS DOUG CARRICK: And that is what I asked? First, he's the lucky husband of Shiela. He is also a considerably dedicated conservationist, a retired school teacher and still an educator and very fine person. They are blessed with having a pair of bald eagles nest just behind their house. The eagles' favorite hunting perch tree is in their front yard. The very productive waters, the herring spawn is just finishing this month, seals, sealions, myriads of seabirds, orcas etc etc. are their constant front window view. Other pairs of bald eagles nest on the next points -- also viewable from their living room window.

Doug's spare time, when not attending their large and fine garden, is watching eagles, lecturing on eagles and showing the video of these nesting birds.
Attached Thumbnails
e.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Awesome!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
That is amazing!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Thank you for posting that website. It is fascinating.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #5

I could never expect in my life to be able to put my head one foot from a bald eagle nesting and raising its young, but thanks to the magic of the web, technology, and the efforts of a man I will probably never meet, and a company hosting the feed, I will have this experience.

Just amazing.

Map of where Hornby Island is below.
Attached Thumbnails
map.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've copied the information you posted Patrick and have shared with a dozen of my friends..everyone is thrilled at this opportunity. Thanks so much for posting it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This is an exceptionl quality cam.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #8

Some more screen captures, although the real fun won't start until the chicks hatch a month from now.
Attached Thumbnails
e1.jpg   e2.jpg  

e3.jpg   e4.jpg  

e5.jpg   e6.jpg  

e8.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
This is SOOOO cool! Thanks for sharing it with us!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
I just wanted to thank Patrick for posting this. I can't wait to check on the eagle every morning as soon as I get up. The best thing about it is.....my daughter had to pick an animal to study and do a report on for school. Since I have been viewing this so often she has picked the eagle to do her report on and can watch it live as it sits on its nest. This is the best. Thanks so much for sharing.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
A few minutes ago, I was watching the eagle when an other eagle (the male, I suppose) brought her some thing to eat, possibly a mouse. She stud up screaming from her nest. I saw her two eggs. She took her meal fast and came back on her nest. Exciting...
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Being in computers ( and I usually say I Hate them) once in a while something truly amazing comes along and renews me.
What a wonderful thing! Thanks so much for sharing this.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
This is such a treat to watch - thanks Patrick for posting this great website!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #14

It's an amazing thing!

Here's the related forum with people's comments and questions:
http://www.infotecbsi.com/forum/viewforum....6701b467473beb1

And here's yet another eagle skycam:
http://stream.nwf.org:88/baldeaglecam

Now, if I could only hook one up for the nest pair of Roadrunners in my backyard life would be just perfect!