Water & Gray Tank Location? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Water & Gray Tank Location?

Hello Everyone:

My DW and I are planning to sell our TC after this season and purchase a FG Camper. We are currently researching some various brands: Scamp, Casita, Escape, Lil Snoozy, and Oliver.

We want to be able to use the Camper year round, (winter use will be in a CG), and was wondering if any of the above have the tanks enclosed, heated or insulated? Also will want a propane option since we currently use the Wave 3 to heat our TC.

Also wondering if the price of the Oliver has been announced. We are only about an hour away from where they will be manufacturing them, but thinking they may be priced out of our range.

Our future plans include using the Camper to Work Camp and/or take short term Travel Nursing assignments so we will be looking at a size that will allow us to maybe not full time but do extended trips.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Reggie
Reggie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Reggie.

The Snoozy's fresh water tank is built inside:

The grey water tank is underneath behind the left wheel.
There is no black water tank as it comes with a porta potti or thetford cassette option.

They are all electric but can be plumbed for propane on request.

Here's some other Snoozy factory shots:

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...bumid=14183253
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Scamp has the freshwater under the dinette in the back (inside) the black and grey water are both outside under the trailer.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Many manufacturers place the Fresh water tank on top of the floor and the Gray below the floor. Scamp and Casita have their (small) Black tanks at the base of the toilet bowl, effectively above the floor. If I remember correctly Oliver places all 3 tanks within a floor cavity that is insulated. Escape places the Fresh tank above the floor and both th Gray and (larger) Black tanks below the floor. They will add spray-foam insulation around the tanks as an option. I think you are correctly thinking that Oliver will carry a premium price, in comparison to Escape.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelW View Post
Scamp has the freshwater under the dinette in the back (inside) the black and grey water are both outside under the trailer.
I had seen Scamp use the Sealand Toilet before. Are they using Thetfords now?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
No, my mistake, ours was a Dometic, so the tank was in the Scamp. It's late here and my brain is fried. It is just the grey water tank that was under.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Jones View Post
Hello Everyone:

My DW and I are planning to sell our TC after this season and purchase a FG Camper. We are currently researching some various brands: Scamp, Casita, Escape, Lil Snoozy, and Oliver.

We want to be able to use the Camper year round, (winter use will be in a CG), and was wondering if any of the above have the tanks enclosed, heated or insulated? Also will want a propane option since we currently use the Wave 3 to heat our TC.

Also wondering if the price of the Oliver has been announced. We are only about an hour away from where they will be manufacturing them, but thinking they may be priced out of our range.

Our future plans include using the Camper to Work Camp and/or take short term Travel Nursing assignments so we will be looking at a size that will allow us to maybe not full time but do extended trips.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Reggie
There's a lots of differences between winter camping and winter camping. If you're in the North where temperature stays well below freezing all day for a month or so vs where the night time temperature dips to below freezing and back up above freezing during the day.

I live in Salem, Oregon. Once in awhile we get freezing weather, but it doesn't last more than a few days. I winter camp in AZ, NV, NM and southern CA. Sometimes a bit farther east. The coldest was 5°F at night and lower 20s during the day for 2 days. Night time in the teens and day time in the upper 20s day time for another 4 or 5 days. I had no concerns about the water system freezing.
The fresh water tank is inside the shell under one of the dinette benches, with the water line all inside. The gray water is outside under the dinette. I have no idea whether the valve froze or not. But, everything was ok when I went to dump it about a week later when everything warmed back up.

It takes a lot of cold to freeze the fresh water tank when it's mostly full. Think of how long it takes to freeze a pond to where the ice is 12" thick.

We've had out Scamp for over 7 years and camped in all kinds of weather. Not to worry!!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
ParkLiner is another to consider...their water tank is inside drivers side, and the grey water tank is underneath rear of the trailer.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the replys.

We also use our TC year round. In the winter I put Windshield Washer solution in the Cassette Toliet and some RV Antifreeze in the Gray Water Tank which is located below the TC.

We are now looking at the different Brands and the sizes and layouts that they offer, trying to find the one that fits our needs best.

Also considering how we may be able to tow our two maxi-scooters when we get the TT. Currently pull them on a 5' X 8' trailer behind the truck.

Thanks Again

Reggie
Reggie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape offers a winter package with extra insulation, spray foam under the floors, tank heaters, thermapane windows. As far as the scooters, too cold in the winter to be riding. I had mine out this past winter on Superbowl sunday, it was 5 degrees outside but with electric hookups with electric heat tape on the water supply hose I had full hookups.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote