Water water everywhere????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Some really believe in the distilled water thing.
Why do you think that?
Robert lives with a compromised immune system. Particulates and organisims that I am oblivious to will cause diarrea, dehydration, and hospitalization for him VERY VERY QUICKLY. We have experienced medical emergencies from seemingly innocious situations, so we just do not take any chances.

Admittedly, our experience is not in the norm... and I have no problem with tap water for myself.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Portland, Oregon is fortunate to have some of the best city water in the world...Bull Run Reservoir (How's that for a name Art ). However, the tank and all the plumbing in my trailer is original and approaching 20 years old. No matter what I've tried (and I've tried them all), the water comes out tasting "funny." I don't know if that was caused by a prior owner using "regular" anti-freeze, or what. So, I buy water (usually at or near my destination) and use it strictly for cooking, drinking and making my coffee. It's extremely important to me that my coffee tastes consistently the same. I don't mind using the onboard water for washing the dishes, my body or even brushing my teeth....but dang it, my coffee had better taste like I expect it too! I know some fill up their tanks from their home systems...and that works for them, but not for me with my tanks/plumbing. Besides, water is pretty heavy, I'd rather use that "weight" for hauling things.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Water does add some weight to it. It's about 1 Gallon = 8.3452641 Pounds

My tank holds 12 gallons. Therefore full it's about 100.1431693 Pounds of additional weight. That 100 pounds of other stuff that if I carryed I'd never use.
I think the most I ever used was just a touch over a third of my tank. So I guess I could lighten up and carry it half full or is that half empty most of the time. Besides the volume taken up is the same with or without water. With a 13' volume space is more the limiting factor than weight.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita

Wow,

What a response to my question. Thanks to all of you for your many and varied responses. I think, at this point, I'm going to stick with city water when I can get it and RO or Distilled for the rest of the time. I'm like Donna D and drinking the RV Tank water. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I do think that a portable triple filter and RO system is in our future, however. from all I've read, that seems to make the most sense to me.

However, I found one Web site that shows a Japanese Dr's research and how ice crystals reflect the ''state'' of the water and if you talk nice to the water or pray over it, they form very beautiful crystals. So, in the last resort, speak sweet nothings to you water before you drink it and maybe that will help.

Still wanting the ''magic answer''.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #25

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Growing up in Oregon, water came from the tap, and we drank it, and we liked it.

I have noticed that it is getting worse and there are areas that I don't drink the tap water anymore up there.

Oddly enough, I drink the tap water where I live in So. Cal now. What comes out of my tap is also sold in bottles labeled "Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water"

It's name is licensed all over the country, but what we get here comes from the original and real Arrowhead Springs. (I joke that I live near the water factory) My town pays a premium to have it pumped 12 miles up the hill from the spring. Other communities in the area have different water sources.

The hiway up here has a constant stream (excuse the pun) of tanker trucks that line up at the spring to fill to take to the bottling plant. What happens to it at the plant, I don't know, but it tastes the same as my tap water, so I suspect not much.

So, I know at least in one case, the water really is mountain spring water, and I drive by and witness the source daily.

When out of town, I buy Arrowhead water in botles and take it with me in the trailer for drinking/cooking. I don't use my tank water for that.

By far, the worst tap water I have ever tasted or used is in Corona, Ca. You can chew it. San Diego water is a close second.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

Wow,

What a response to my question. Thanks to all of you for your many and varied responses. I think, at this point, I'm going to stick with city water when I can get it and RO or Distilled for the rest of the time. I'm like Donna D and drinking the RV Tank water. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I do think that a portable triple filter and RO system is in our future, however. from all I've read, that seems to make the most sense to me.

However, I found one Web site that shows a Japanese Dr's research and how ice crystals reflect the ''state'' of the water and if you talk nice to the water or pray over it, they form very beautiful crystals. So, in the last resort, speak sweet nothings to you water before you drink it and maybe that will help.

Still wanting the ''magic answer''.
EKW
Hi: A few years back we had to drill a new well...All the shallow wells in the area dried up...ours inc. @81ft. they hit a gusher...10.5 gals./min. in flow...with the pump set @6.5 gpm we will never run out of water...Driller says Farmers would kill for this amt. of water... only trouble is its so hard you can walk on it!!! Driller says " I promised you water...not distilled water... The Tab when they left was just shy of $8,000.00 So we drink it...and take One a Days without Iron Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:

Personally, I like SAM'S CHOICE bottled water from Wal Mart because it tastes so good to me.
Keith
Hi, Friend Keith,
Although we prefer Arrowhead Springs, we haven't been able to get that brand lately except in very small bottles. Consequently we have Walmart's product in the frig. (It's called "Great Value" in this part of the state, Keith.) What is really interesting is where it is bottled--latest 2-1/2 gallon G.V. "spring water" is from Carefree AZ. I recall recently having another, same size, bottled in Houston TX. When the grandkids were here last week they bought a 1-gallon Great Value "drinking water" bottled by Salt Lake City municipal supply. That's all from one Walmart. Probably it'll be from other bottling plants next week.

When we lived in southern Cal, we naturally preferred Arrowhead Springs, because we knew exactly where it came from. A few years ago, A.S. was purchased by Nestle and now is a national brand, bottled in many locations in the U.S. and Canada. I would presume that they maintain pretty high standards.

I'm guessing one takes a risk when they use the dispensers at the local grocery. Pay your money and take a chance. May or may not be filtered; filtration might be reasonable to expect. Some city water has excellent reputation. That's the case with the city here, but where we live, a small private water company supplies us and 1300 other meters with often lousy water.

Although our mountains are not technically the Rockies, don't believe what Pete Coors sez in the Coors commercials! We wouldn't consider letting you drink our tap water until it goes through the R.O.--Joyce even questions that, and that is why we have a jug of bottled water in the frig.

Of course, personally I find a can of Diet Coke or a bottle of 2-buck Chuck to be more satisfying and less expensive than bottled water.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Of course, personally I find a can of Diet Coke or a bottle of 2-buck Chuck to be more satisfying and less expensive than bottled water.
I agree, George about the 2 buck chuck but in thinking about it, my potatoe vodka with olives should be pretty germ free. If they don't die, at least they will be pickled.

Best regards to you and Joyce.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
A long time ago I had a doctor that had me drink steamed distilled water. After a short time my blood pressure went down and I was feeling much better.

I asked my doctor how that could be good for me. He said it was acting like a magnet and sucking all the salts and impurities out of my system. The doctor said distilled water will not take any nutrients your body needs.

So, even though I have not drank steamed distilled water for a long time, I feel it is probably good for ya. That said, Lou is drinking very good water and I applaud his efforts to take care of himself in that way.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #30

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Although we prefer Arrowhead Springs, we haven't been able to get that brand lately except in very small bottles.
George, I can mail you some.

Want me to put it in a bottle? I will have to find one with a label...

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought a durastill water distiller from http://www.thewaterdistillerstore.com. It is 6 years old and I have had no problems. I liked their low price guarantee, cheap shipping, 1 year warranty and made in USA.

There is nothing better that a cold glass of distilled water camping.

Reed
ReedP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Tap water, 40 years and counting. All is fine here.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #33

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Yep, me too, wherever I find a tap and whenever I need the water.

But the very best water I have ever tasted has been that which flowed directly from the ground in the multitude of springs found alongside the Appalachian trail in the southern states of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia...
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
I bought a durastill water distiller from http://www.thewaterdistillerstore.com. It is 6 years old and I have had no problems. I liked their low price guarantee, cheap shipping, 1 year warranty and made in USA.

There is nothing better that a cold glass of distilled water camping.

Reed
Hi:All... Anything "Distilled is fine by me". One thing I learned is never add water to "Distilled spirits" as it waters them down!!! Always add "Distilled spirits" to the water, as it improves the "Water"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #35

Registry
Hi: Again...We have a Craft Brewery here and they put up their beer in 64oz. bottles. That's great cause my Dr. said I can have 1 bottle a day.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
When I travel to a country or city that doesn't have the infrastructure to supply good drinking water I drink beer or soda. Fortunately there is an abundance of good clean water in North America, some folks are simply closer to access than others.

Buying water off the shelf as distilled or spring...(seems like a trivial decision to make btw, when we consider what we ingest food-wise daily) so whatever is cheapest!

Distilled water is generally in the half or full gallon jugs witch is convenient for coffee/tea water when rv'ing if it's cheaper , but the smaller personal bottles are usually spring or reasonable facsimile in my experience.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #37

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
A lot of the commercial "spring water" is tap water that has had the minerals and other impurities removed through a reverse osmosis process. Then they put certain minerals back in so that it tastes natural to most people. That's probably how most big bottlers can get away with using bottling plants all over the country.

Here in Denver we drink, bathe in, and water our lawns with snow melt from the mountains. At least we know where it comes from and we're usually the first human users of it after it falls from the sky. But most municipalities aren't so lucky. It's not uncommon for one city's sewage plant to be pumping their outflow into a river upstream from another city's municipal water plant. There's people who think that a shortage of fresh water is going to be a bigger problem in the future than peak oil.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #38

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
While doing research on MTBE contamination I discovered that the aquifer used by a local water bottling plant had numerous MTBE remediation sites surrounding it. Some of the wells used by two of the nearby water districts were shuttered as a result of finding significant amounts of the stuff. I questioned the bottling plant if they were aware of the local MTBE problem and if their water was tested for it. They clammed up tighter than a drum.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #39

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
some of you on this thread might find this youtube video/documentary on bottled water interesting.

It gives a new look at our assumptions about bottled water, though I know there are companies out there that do a good job. One of the best, which I drank for years when very sick and concerned about what I put in my bod, is Volvic - but it's from France! The video also give statistics on city water - better than you think.

We drink our well water, which is filtered with two types of filters and run through a UV light. It is high in minerals, which may or may not be good for us, but it's what we have. We try to take a lot with us in high grade plastic water containers when traveling, and reserve it for drinking, using campground water for everything else. Many campgrounds, due to location, are on wells and likely have some filtration system similar to what we have at home, or use a chlorination system. But who knows? I've always figured taste is the tell-tale sign of good water, I use to haul water from a local park, a source of water for many locals, before we had a well, and though it smelled sometimes of sulfur at the source, it tasted wonderful and tested good.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote