We did it too Roger! - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Dear Roger in Western Washington and to all those who helped us with our decisions..

We are finally putting our money down on an American Trillium, a 13 footer. We did it Roger! We pick it up this December and we are very excited about this. We are buying it sight unseen as Roger did a couple of weeks ago. Tom Young (who manufactures them until they are made by Escape Trailers) has been great through the whole process. We decided against the AC since it would add 14 inches to the top and then we would never get it in the garage. For the time being we will use "vehicle dollies" to get it below the 6'11" garage height. The Trill is 7'4".

I encourage fans of this forum who live in the Midwest to get in touch with me if you are interested in seeing it in 2009. In the meantime I will send pictures out this January when we get it back home in Ohio.

Again, thanks to all of you who were so helpful with our purchase. We could not have done it without this Forum and the Internet.

Lloyd and Barbara ...Columbus, Ohio

Old 09-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Lloyd,congratulations to you and Barbara!

to the club!

If you are picking up your egg, you will probably take I-80 out to either Carson City or Sacramento, which ever. Would like to meet you. Will you be spending any time on the left coast?

Tom, you read Lloyd's testimony, he credits ME for his buying a Trillium. Please send the commission check to my home address.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Talking

Lloyd, you brought up a point that I have been thinking about. Putting our Trillium in our garage. Strangely enough we used to have a 20' sailboat in the garage, but our little 13' Trillium is too tall! The opening is 83" high by 93" wide. I thought that I could remove the wheels and set the Trillium on some sort of dolly that would hold the lowest part, (the brake drums?) about a 1/2" above the floor that it may be possible to get it in. This would be a much better solution than leaving it out under the trees. I wonder how much I would gain removing the wheels and if this would be a good idea. Anyone with experience out there?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
For the time being we will use "vehicle dollies" to get it below the 6'11" garage height. The Trill is 7'4".
It seems that your garage is the same as ours. 83" = 6' 11".

Does the height of the Trillium include the MaxxFan? The MaxxFan is 9.3" raised and 5" in its lowered position. Of course if it isn't above the axle, tilting may afford more leeway...

Will just have to wait and see when we receive our Trillium.

Carlisle tires are 20.5" in diameter and with 7" brake drums that would give (if the brake drums are 7" outside diameter) about 6.5" height loss by removing the wheels (10.25"-3.5") 7' 4" = 88" so would need 5" loss. It would be really close but might be possible, if the MaxxFan doesn't come into play. I wouldn't want to have to remove that too!

Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Roger, I don't know if you saw it or missed it, but there is another thread somewhere on here about storing a glass egg inside a garage. Here's what I was able to finger out thus far.

Our trailer sits on 14" wheels (tire height mounted on these wheels is about 25"). Trailer height, best guestimate is 7'5" (sitting on these 25" tires n wheels) taking into account the stock air vent. Anything other than stock height needs to be factored in to the overall trailer height unless these things are removeable.
Here's my latest (bright idea) thought on indoor parking. The wheel/tire diameter IF divided by 2 gives you the approximate height they add to the trailer, in this case about 12 1/2". I was thinking of getting a pair of 'sacraficial rims' 10" in diameter. 1/2 of 10" = 5". Now take that 5" away from the 12 1/2 for the present rims/tires =about 7 1/2". This 7 1/2" is the height LOST by running the sacraficial rims (rims with NO tires) to move the trailer in or out of a 6'11" height garage door opening (this seems to be an average height) ....a tight squeeze!!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
if the MaxxFan doesn't come into play. I wouldn't want to have to remove that too!
It might be possible. At least for long term storage, like over winter in Ohio.

The MaxxFan removes with only 4 screws:

http://www.maxxair.com/InstallationGuides/...Replacement.pdf

I hope the power unplugs or one could add a plug/receptacle - which would probably void your warranty.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Roger, I don't know if you saw it or missed it, but there is another thread somewhere on here about storing a glass egg inside a garage. Here's what I was able to finger out thus far.

Our trailer sits on 14" wheels (tire height mounted on these wheels is about 25"). Trailer height, best guestimate is 7'5" (sitting on these 25" tires n wheels) taking into account the stock air vent. Anything other than stock height needs to be factored in to the overall trailer height unless these things are removeable.
Here's my latest (bright idea) thought on indoor parking. The wheel/tire diameter IF divided by 2 gives you the approximate height they add to the trailer, in this case about 12 1/2". I was thinking of getting a pair of 'sacraficial rims' 10" in diameter. 1/2 of 10" = 5". Now take that 5" away from the 12 1/2 for the present rims/tires =about 7 1/2". This 7 1/2" is the height LOST by running the sacraficial rims (rims with NO tires) to move the trailer in or out of a 6'11" height garage door opening (this seems to be an average height) ....a tight squeeze!!
Doug, thanks a lot! That idea of sacrificial rims would save a lot of money and bother. That just goes to show you that we all are smarter than any one of us. One could get a length of tubing or an old hose and make 'tires' that wouldn't mark up the floor. Or maybe if you have a child who outgrew his tricycle a tire from that would work.

I don't know why I couldn't find them the first time, but the ST175/80D13's are listed on the Carlisle website as being 24" mounted diameter. So (24-13)/2=5.5 probably more than enough to make the door. Again, if the MaxxFan is too high, it could easily be removed. There would be a mounting flange remaining, about 1" high.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Do I understand the company correct that MR. Young is a one man operation, no employees? Second, Do you know if they are made on his private residence or a commercial business location in carson City there? Do you have any guess as to how many trailers Mr. Young's company has made thus far? In general of course..... are we talking single digits... dozens. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Doug, Lloyd, here are a couple past threads (including the most recent on3) about fitting 7'+ trailers into 7' garages:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=31755

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29146

Cheers,
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #10

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Lloyd and Barbara ...Columbus, Ohio. We did the same thing in March of 2005. We order our Scamp never having seen one up close and personal. We have not been unhappy.
Congrats!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Lloyd,congratulations to you and Barbara!

to the club!

If you are picking up your egg, you will probably take I-80 out to either Carson City or Sacramento, which ever. Would like to meet you. Will you be spending any time on the left coast?

Tom, you read Lloyd's testimony, he credits ME for his buying a Trillium. Please send the commission check to my home address.
Roger, Once we pick it up we need to get back to work but it would be neat to visit with you about our respective purchases. Our favorite state in the Lower 48 is Washington, home of Mt. Ranier our favorite park on earth. Maybe on our adventure west during the summer we could link then. You must be in the Spokane area.

When do you pick up your Trillium or do you have it already?

Lloyd
Old 09-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Do I understand the company correct that MR. Young is a one man operation, no employees? Second, Do you know if they are made on his private residence or a commercial business location in carson City there? Do you have any guess as to how many trailers Mr. Young's company has made thus far? In general of course..... are we talking single digits... dozens. Thanks.
Ken, I have never asked that question of Tom. I think Roger, another soon to be owner, thinks 10 or less. He is probably right. We could find out.

Lloyd