We Got Our Call Today! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We Got Our Call Today!

We got the call this morning from David in the production side of the house at Scamp. I was told to expect the call when they are ready to start building our trailer. We went over the details and set the pick-up date for Monday the 4th of August! We knew this was coming, but this call was an exciting milestone for us!

Now to get packing and come up with a plan. Our dream's coming true! Couldn't wait to share this news with all our new friends here on the forum!!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Congratulations!
Do me a favour and don't post that you are removing the fridge, the furnace, the stove, the bathroom, the closet . . .
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Exciting news! A new hatching soon! Congratulations!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wonderful, it will be like Christmas in August and lots of camping time still this year.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks all. I'll be busy searching for check lists before we go. What to bring, what to expect, pre towing, etc. We're going to make a few day trip out of this, although it could be driven in a single day. The first of many, many trips I hope.
Exciting times here.

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Congratulations!
Do me a favour and don't post that you are removing the fridge, the furnace, the stove, the bathroom, the closet . . .
That sounds too much like work Glenn! I'm retired now. Maybe after we get a few trips under our belt.....

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Tom,
I hope you enjoy your Scamp as much as we do ours. Maybe we'll see one of these winters in the South West, places like Death Valley NP, Lake Mead, Organ Pipe Cactus NP.

Get your Senior Pass for great inexpensive fun in the National Parks.

Glenn,
We've used all the good features of our Scamp for over 8 years and I agree with you, leave it intact.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #8

Michigan
It's been said that if you want a really rare Harley Davidson, leave it stock. Don't change a thing. I have to say I have never seen one like that, and I've seen plenty. Maybe the same can be said for FGRV's.

Byron, it's very possible we will run into each other. Those are the kind of places I want to go. I used to "camp" just south of Death Valley in the Mojave Desert. I slept in the back of an open Hummer at Ft Irwin, CA. Beautiful country and good times!

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Congratulations!
Do you mean go ahead and do it just don't post about it? I would not make mods to a new trailer either, I would buy it the way I wanted it. I did not have that luxury buying a 26 year old Scamp. I am modding it as I see fit for my uses, but am not doing anything somebody (else) could not change back if desired. I don't think they would want the old axle or A/C though.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Michigan
Your Expert Opinions Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Do you mean go ahead and do it just don't post about it? I would not make mods to a new trailer either, I would buy it the way I wanted it. I did not have that luxury buying a 26 year old Scamp. I am modding it as I see fit for my uses, but am not doing anything somebody (else) could not change back if desired. I don't think they would want the old axle or A/C though.
I did get it the way we wanted. I am second guessing my water / sink set up. I got the city water and no electric pump. (no bathroom) It comes with the faucet that controls the city water, and the little hand pump faucet. My thinking was for boondocking. I would still be able to use the water tank without power. I just found out many if not most of the MI State Parks have power, but no water at the campsites. Other states may be the same? How efficient are those little pumps? Does it take a lot of pumping to get a gallon of water? If I get the electric pump, do you still get the hand pump? I still have time to change my order if I act quickly. Thx

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have electric water pump and a 20 gallon fresh water tank, but I find that I mostly use water from a five gallon container that sits out on the picnic table, along with the grill, butane stove and a stainless steel "sink".
If you have no bathroom and cook outside, I'd think the hand pump would be just fine.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I recommend that you stay in the area camping overnight before leaving. Give yourself a chance to check out the unit before leaving. You never know what might need some tweaking. This campground was a nice place to stay. Right on a local lake.
Minnesota Resorts, Ruttger's Pine Mountain Resort, RV, Pine Mountain Lake, Backus, MN, seasonal campsites, swimming pool- full hookup
The cafe by the Cenex gas station just South of Scamp is good.
One thing I did was to get my own microwave and install it. Theirs is way too expensive. Ask for the mounting bracket they use if you do that route. They will give you a couple. Get a tour of the place. Interesting and informative.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Michigan
Glenn, you make a good point. If I'm hauling water from a water point to add to the trailer tank, what's the point. I might as well just use the water from the jug / spigot. It worked just fine for tent camping.

Gene, Dianne G recommended that camp ground earlier. We will stay there, at least 1 night. You told me about the Cenex diner as well. Do you remember if Scamp sent you away with a full propane tank? So many questions...
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

Michigan
Gene, I don't remember Scamp offering a microwave oven. It's not in the brochure. Do you have a 16' or 19' ? I will ask about the brackets. We are having an extra 110v outlet on the rear upper pantry cabinet. Not too sure we could even fit a microwave in our 54" bed configuration. (Small pantry/closet and very small kitchen cabinet counter)
Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I do similar to Glen with the extra water container and the hand pump is just fine plus it doesn't run down your battery!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #16

Michigan
Thanks Kootenai Girl. I'll defer to your experience and leave the order as is. I think you're right. In a situation like I described, I'll be lugging water to the camper anyway. I can fill the onboard tank or if I need it faster, work out of the jugs.

Tom
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
The tanks were full on mine last month. Mine is a 16' with the larger fridge but we have the smaller bed. On mine there is a cabinet for the microwave above the fridge.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
How efficient are those little pumps? Does it take a lot of pumping to get a gallon of water? If I get the electric pump, do you still get the hand pump?
In order… not very, yes, no.

If you had some water in the tank, the hand pump would be good for pumping a cup of water to brush your teeth at night, or maybe an occasional small pan of water to heat up something on the stove. But not a gallon at a time. I'd say if you plan to do much cooking inside, the electric pump would be a good investment.

I'm with Glenn - we do all of our cooking outside, and keep a 5-gallon jug there. We don't use the on-board water at all. We keep a gallon of bottled drinking water in the trailer for nighttime use.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jugs always work! Doesn't matter to me if I'm hooked up or have filled the freshwater tank. I always take jug (bottled) water, because I want my coffee to always taste the same. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #20

Michigan
Thanks all. We plan to do very little cooking inside. Coffee, tea, boiling water and not too much more. We have a small Weber BabyQ grill and a NuWave induction cooker and campfires for outside cooking. Bringing a full jug of water for coffee is a good idea as well. We love our coffee!

Tom