We have been ripped off. They took everything. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Hardly worth the cost and effort.
How would you attach such a thing to a wall of a fiberglass trailer. It would look kind of funny sticking out.
A safe light enough and small enough for a trailer wouldn't hold enough to be worth the effort.
I still think the best thing to do is:
> Not carry a lot of valuables. That also means no valuables inside the trailer while parked at home.
> Stay out of upscale anything parking lots. That includes upscale RV Resorts.
> Stop and eat at small restaurants where you have the possibility of watching your trailer while eating.
> Stop at truck stops where your trailer is between big trucks and eat at the truck stop restaurant.
> When camped get to know your neighbors so that you are more likely to watch out for each other.
> Stay out of State Parks, RV Parks, and RV Resorts.
What are attempting to do is reduce the chance of being robbed, you can't eliminate the chance entirely but can help your odds.
If you stay out of state parks, rv parks/resorts, is the only thing left federal parks?? HELP I think I'm just going to skip camping.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
If you stay out of state parks, rv parks/resorts, is the only thing left federal parks?? HELP I think I'm just going to skip camping.

Good. State Parks, RV Parks/Resorts aren't camping anyway.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In all honesty, State Parks, RV Parks/Resorts are fine for some people. But I avoid them. Generally they're overpriced, and crowded. I actually prefer no campground, no trailer, maybe not even a tent. But as age has crept up on me I can't carry 50 to 60 lbs on my back and walk up and down mountains for 10+ miles anymore. Hence the trailer. I get a closer feeling for the backpacking type of camping in National Parks, and National Forests.
I mentioned overpriced, example of the expense I had this past winter. We lived for about 90 days in our little trailer. Cost averaged out at around $5.50 per night. No I didn't have electricity, or water hookup or sewer hookup or a toilet. No television, or DVD player. Have to hunting for internet when needed. It a bit different the RVing.. It's closer to camping, but if RVing is what you enjoy go for it if you can afford it.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Whether you are hiking, ski touring, canoeing, or in your RV boondocking, staying in an RV park, or anything in between, you are still camping in one form or another. Which ever type you get enjoyment out of is just fine, as we all have differing levels of comfort and desires.

I have often stated that having a trailer like my Escape 19 is camping in absolute luxury, but to many others it would be looked at as totally roughing it.

Coming from a background spending over 1,000 nights of backcountry travel, sleeping in tents, snow shelters, or under the stars, I too prefer a more rustic, out of the way place to camp in my trailer. I just find it more relaxing. Well over 90% of my RVing is off the grid.

However, when travelling, I don't mind State/Provincial parks for the most part. They are usually at a great location, where there is lots, and lots, of activities to do nearby. The campsites are usually largish and spread apart good, with lots of natural beauty about. I spend almost all my awake time camping outside my trailer, and enjoy a nice setting, whether in a campground, or off the grid.

As a last resort, I will use an RV resort. It is usually a matter of convenience when I do, and not a multi-day stop.

I am fortunate that I have never had a single thing stolen when camping in any form. I often leave my gear about camp, and only put away things that matter to me. For me, I prefer to not stress over stuff like being ripped off. Reducing stress is one of the main reasons I have loved camping over the years, and the further off grid I go, the more relaxed I am. Should something ever happen to me theft wise, and as long as nobody (including my dog) gets hurt..... oh well..... all will be good in the end..... and karma is going to get those that showed me disrespect.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good post, Jim!

Sensible precautions: good.
Siege mentality: bad.

Reminds me of a quote from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: " 'It is not your own Shire,' said Gildor. 'Others dwelt here before hobbits were, and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.' "

I am a fan of state and county parks. We require full facilities, including hot showers if staying for multiple days, and I have found state and county parks the most reasonable places to get them. As you say, they usually have relatively spacious sites, especially if you use the tent areas without hook-ups. Yes, there are other people around, but I like that (mostly). I have backpacked solo, and I have camped in crowded beach parks in the summer. The ideal for me is somewhere in between, but, on the whole, I enjoy being around people.

That said, I fully understand the differing needs of full-timers looking to minimize costs, as well as those who want all the comforts of home and those who seek solitude in a beautiful place. It makes me appreciate the capitalist and federalist system we have in this country that allows for so many different public and private options for "camping," whatever that means to you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
U can also loose everything just driving down the road
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #27

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Wish they would break into my camper.
Attached Thumbnails
160.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #28

Name: Steve and Julie
Trailer: Camp Lite by Livin Lite
Indiana
We kept our German Shepherd inside the trailer with the a/c on this past weekend. I wonder what type of dog the person had?
stevenjuliehorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #29

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjuliehorney View Post
We kept our German Shepherd inside the trailer with the a/c on this past weekend. I wonder what type of dog the person had?
A large but gentle Elk Hound.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #30

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
I enjoy Mike's podcast-- it's a very unfortunate thing that happened. I always park the trailer someplace that I can see it while shopping or eating. The exception is just when it is absolutely impossible. Also, even as someone who works out of the trailer, I keep absolutely nothing of value in the trailer or the TV. I use a super cheap, old laptop for work and I use my cell-phone to take pics and video. The most expensive thing I carry is my propane firepit, which is worth about 100 bucks used. I do have full coverage on the trailer, though-- including theft and vandalism.

Be careful out there, folks!
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My Neighbor...

My neighbor is a gardener and yesterday had 5000 plants delivered. I helped unload the plants. The grower saw my Scamp and almost immediately began with 'aren't you afraid of being robbed, broken into'... A surprising question here we are in small town NH, a state with a low crime rate, where anything rarely happens. As well the grower lives on a rural farm.

In 15 years, well over 3,000 nights of all kinds of camping, we've never had a single incident. Is it part of it the depiction of trailer park residents in TV series?

We do avoid cities with our Scamp and virtually don't even drive through them, certainly neither Baltimore or Chicago will ever see our Scamp. Upscale malls fit into that category as well, obviously a location the 'bad guys' scan for opportunities. Our mall/shopping center usually includes a Walmart, not generally considered upscale. The only issue we ever have is some one waiting to tour our rig, or simply admiring it.

We just bought an Internet thermostat for our FL home, it will allow me to monitor the air conditioner when we're away. (By the way it costs me $25 to run the Air Conditioner and refrigerator this month in FL). A remote system like this could allow a remote camera(s) so I could keep an eye on my trailer from my smart phone or post an alarm to my phone should some one enter.

Back in the day when we had a motorhome, there was no way for anyone to steal $12,000 worth of goods, probably not even $1,000 unless they stole the tires.

We always feel safe leaving our trailer in a campground , have no big dog on guard, and take no special precautions other than to avoid dangerous areas. To me it's like most fears, problems happen but they are rare. If we're broken into the most expensive thing is Ginny's new laptop, $169, definitely not the end of the world.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We usually "CAMP" at State Parks . We find the camping fees reasonable for the services provided. We avoid the KOA type parks ,they do offer more amenities but I can't justify paying for things we will not use IE; swimming pool ,golf course
, game room. I could save money by camping as Byron does but I would be camping alone. My wife has no intentions of camping in the middle of nowhere just so I can save a couple of bucks .We have never had anything stolen or damaged while camping and have insurance. Like everything in life ,you take your chances and hope for the best.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #33

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
^Well said. I actually do all 3 of those types of camping... I stay in KOA/RV Parks when I need more amenities but I 'camp' in remote boondocking locations, as well as State and National Parks/Forests. While I'm sure theft occurs, it doesn't seem to occur often enough for me to hear about it.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #34

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Norm, I've never had a break-in or had something stolen either. Not at home, nor away.

I just try to use some common sense - leave no opportunities, and not make yourself a juicier target than another. I've not been deterred to visit cities like Baltimore (the waterfront is pretty cool), but you must be aware of what you are doing and where you are is all.

I've found most crimes of those are of opportunity, and sadly, most are poor people stealing from each other. A true, professional theif, is probably not deterred by any measures we take, but that is where good insurance comes in.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #35

Florida
Ron, I'm not hesitant to visit cities, but I'm not parking my trailer in them or near them, as to Baltimore I've been there many times in my car.

I do try to be very conscious all the time, 'keeping my eye out for the cougar'. I know there are all too many people that have different standards than I.

As to state parks and private parks over the years we've parked in all kinds of parks, some that actually looked 'shady' (not in the sense of tree shady) where the people were just as nice as any where we parked.

Heck, we park in SC for a couple of weeks a year....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #36

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I think the only place that I felt vulnerable to gettting ripped of was at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. With all the thousands (yes thousands!) of people milling about, it would be pretty easy for someone to walk off with something. I heard neighbors complaining of people taking beer right out of their coolers!

So I found all the locking up and putting things away constantly to be pretty tedious. At the State Park, up the beach a bit, it was completely different. A more relaxed and intimate setting for sure.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #37

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I installed a Chrome Plated Hasp with it's own chrome plated lock on the door of the 5r. It looks very good. Bought it at Tractor Supply.

I also installed a hidden SAFE that I purchased at Harbor Freight. Should you want to do this, you need to be creative where yoy would install it for it to remain a secret.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #38

Florida
I can't imagine what I'd put in a safe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Plenty of folks use the under seat handgun safe for other items.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I can't imagine what I'd put in a safe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Money, passport, items you do t want to get wet when you go to the pool.
A hand gun, extra set of tow vehicle keys, iPad. There are all sorts of things you might want to protect.

Additional I for: The safe is bolted down to a floor or wall so ripping it out is not an option.
Costco sold a vehicle save a few years ago for a Chevy Silverado center console and that thing is handy for the above items also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote