We have been ripped off. They took everything. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #57

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I work in IT security and use risk analysis as part and parcel of my job. We do indeed address the most high risk and likely scenarios first, and set our remediation priorities accordingly.

But, paranoia is an unreasonable fear. A healthy consideration of risk, and taking reasonable steps to mitigate it, is not paranoia -- its good sense. Generalizations are as bad as paranoia.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #58

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
It appears that people are carrying allot of stuff to the beach and or pool.
Who's parioniod here, the people that carry everything around or the ones that lock those things up??
'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'

Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #59

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Generalizations are as bad as paranoia.

Yes...........
Old 05-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #60

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Today people are getting shot all over the place. Restaurants, warehouse clubs, gas stations, schools where in some localities they have armed the teachers, airplanes where they have armed the pilots, shot on the streets etc. More states are allowing concealed carry permits and Open Carry. The dynamics of staying safe is changing.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #61

Georgia
RV security is like home security - you can not keep a determined robber out but you can make your home look difficult or risky enough so the robber goes elsewhere - i.e. an easier home to rob.

I think we all know that most RV locks are a joke - a screw driver and pliers can take them out quickly. People can see when you are not there because your TV is not around.

My trailer is so small I'm more worried about some one stealing the whole thing then breaking in.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #62

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I had to sleep with a Glock in my nightstand and two pitbulls in the bedroom I would move, I suspect many people will move from Baltimore, possibly creating a 'Detroit 2'.

My first adult mentor said maximize fun...

In 1 years of intense travel I've never felt I needed a gun at the ready.
No matter where i live i would always own a pitbull, both of mine are rescues and i love them. My glock, "It's better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it". My wife and i both have elderly parents, my mom is battling cancer and my dad just had a pacemaker installed so moving isn't a option for us right now. The local news reported this morning 40 homicides so far this month of May, 29 shootings over the 3 day memorial weekend, 8 of those resulted in death, it's crazy in the city! My casita sits in my driveway next to my bedroom window.
Attached Thumbnails
YARD 006.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #63

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
If you stay out of state parks, rv parks/resorts, is the only thing left federal parks?? HELP I think I'm just going to skip camping.
It may not be safe to stay home either. Most home burgles take place during day light hours!

Over the years I have had two vehicles stolen - one while living in the country and another in the city & both had alarm systems on them.

Have had my home burglarized twice - both with security alarm systems & security company that comes when they go off. Once while living in a low rent district and another while living in a security gated community complete with guard at gate.

Have had my personal possessions stolen twice while staying in hotels. Once in a $400 a night hotel the other while staying in an in expensive motel out in the country.

Was mugged once at 8AM while standing in the middle of the Hilton Hotel lobby in Antwerp with a dozen staff standing around at the check in less than 50' away.

Over the years while camping I have had stuff stolen - sometimes in private campgrounds, state/provincial parks as well as in forest service campgrounds. Lawn chairs and coolers are hot items. Especially if the coolers have booze in them.

My girlfriend last year lost the bikes off the back of her trailer while sleeping even though they were locked on with cables and she was sleeping at the back of the trailer at the time. That happened at a very nice $$ private campground.

Bottom line is it does not matter where you live & or stay you are always at risk to theft.

I would never leave anything such as a passports & credit cards in an unattended trailer or hotel room when traveling.... just to big of a hassle to replace them while on the road. If you have camera's pull the memory cards out and store them away from the camera.

Regarding the rest of the stolen stuff. That is why most of us have insurance... it can be replaced.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #64

If you were a burglar, would you target a small fiberglass rv like a scamp or a many dollar motorhome?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:10 PM   #65

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
One option to make a trailer or home looked occupied. Do a search on Amazon for "fake tv" Several models, a multicolored LED panel that does random changes and looks like flickering of a tv screen. Some make sound also.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #66

Or, just leave the TV on.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #67

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
Quote:
True if actually have one. The fakes draw a lot less power though if not on shore power
Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #68

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
All I can say is WOW! Stuff is not what I will ever worry about.

Stupid story. One of our Trillium 4500's, (Launch Pad) was parked in front of our house. My wife called me at work and asked, "do you know anything about the trailer that used to be in front of the house?". I was sure it had been stolen. After a brief, "oh darn" I realized that the important things, like my family, were still intact.

It turned out that the trailer was at the local impound. There was no plate on the trailer.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #69

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Why would I want to leave my tow vehicle on?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #70

Georgia
Quote:
If you were a burglar, would you target a small fiberglass rv like a scamp or a many dollar motorhome?
Thinking about it, what you can get from each is about the same. A robber is looking for easy to carry, high value, easy to sell items. Those things would be cell phones, iphones, laptops, cameras, flat screen TVs, jewelry. A scamp and motorhome probably have those things in common and a smaller scamp has fewer places to hide them.