We have been ripped off. They took everything. - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #71

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
I carry ($170) cell phone in the shirt pocket, never had iPhone/iPad. Laptop (cheap netbook) is stored in the truck, I don't have cameras, flat screen TVs, jewelry. Seems like I need to carry a sign "no cash on board" :-) I really don't have cash, I use plastic cards only...

Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #72

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dextersp1: Personally I would think the large expensive mortorhome type would have more high dollar items (Its about impressing people).

A richer neighborhood even though they are parked next to an egg.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #73

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
It is not paranoid to take what precautions one can. Think about it a Scamp door has the hinge bolts on the outside, you can always open it with a crescent wrench and pair of pliers. Even if the locking pin is in and the wind blows the door shut (yes I know this for a fact).

Do some research on those handgun safes, some can be opened by a modest thump in the right spot. But I see a point to putting a locked & attached container someplace for small items of value. Slowing someone down can either exceed their willingness to be exposed or cause them to be noticed and lead to a hasty exit.

A camera DSLR 3/4 frame sensor in between consumer and professional model, lens and bag is an easy $1000 item. One of the full frame sensor DSLR cameras even a basic model goes $2000. With additional lenses for either one being hundreds if not thousands. Fishing or other recreational equipment, the generator, tablets or laptops are all potential targets for thieves. Think about it if one takes it with you camping it is by design generally small and portable. Just what a thief wants.

I don't know many that own outright guard dogs, that is a dog that will stand its ground and fight an intruder. As opposed to a watch dog that will bark and sound the alarm and challenge but backup from intruder if possible to do so. The second type tends to be more common even in fairly powerful breeds. A 90 lb. dog should be reluctant to fight a 200 lb. person same as a 90 lb. person would be. And 90 lbs. is large for say a German Shepherd dog or American Pit Bull Terrier. Not that these dogs can't make life very hard for an intruder but since most are pets they won't be trained to guard and left to their own devices most would avoid the fight. Cornered in a small camper might be different but in a large motor home?

To the person that mentioned killings being so rampant, violent crime is down, and down a lot over the last couple of decades. FBI crime statistics vs. perceptions and media hype I go with the FBI crime statistics. Burglaries and larceny-theft have both dropped. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...heftmain_final

Just as Dillinger said when asked why he robbed banks "that's where the money is" I try to avoid being viewed as the place where the money is (not hard either). Most of my stuff is old, had it for years, would hate to have it stolen, you would have to be pretty desperate to steal it.

I also know I do not generally know the area I am traveling in well enough to be accurate in my risk assessment. I don't know the area around that mall or shopping center that influences the crime potential so I am especially vigilant and cautious.

I am mostly sitting around the camper, reading, snacking, having a cold beverage or cocktail. Making our camper not the best target for a thief.

If I notice something suspicious around your camper or tent I'm damn sure going to call the police. I would hope most others would look out for each other the same way.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #74

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You hit the nail on the head except for the quote, that's where the money is:

William Francis "Willie" Sutton, Jr. (June 30, 1901 – November 2, 1980) was a prolific American bank robber. During his forty-year criminal career he stole an estimated $2 million, and eventually spent more than half of his adult life in prison and escaped three times. For his talent at executing robberies in disguises, he gained two nicknames, "Willie the Actor" and "Slick Willie." Sutton is known, albeit apocryphally, for the urban legend that he said that he robbed banks "because that's where the money is."

As far as crime being down that may be true for all over stats except for the shootings that seam to happen almost on a daily basis.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #75

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Murder is way up. Admittedly somewhat contained to cities but people are still dead.

The New Nationwide Crime Wave - WSJ

Murder is not a concern, I am more likely to be killed driving. My goal driving and traveling is to minimize the probability. Generally we do not drive at night, do not drive tired, drive reasonable speeds and stay out of cities, particularly bad parts of cities.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #76

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
I admit to being fearful at times when camping in unfamiliar areas. I may be fearful but am not paralyzed. Some fearfulness is healthy--it is a respect for the unknown. Being cautious is part of who I am. But we do not travel with any valuables other than a laptop (not an expensive one) and our passports. We always carry minimal amount of cash and use plastic instead.

We have never had anything stolen from us while camping and we've been in all kinds of parks --in tents, tent trailers and our fiberglass trailer. We don't leave alot of stuff out around our site when we aren't there but that is because both of us are very neat and organized and have never been ones to "clutter" our site.

The idea of camping in BLM sites is really appealing to us...but then, I start thinking---"will we be safe?" "will we be sitting-duck targets for someone to rob us?"......and then that "healthy" dose of cautiousness makes me worry that saving a few bucks by camping in more isolated areas isn't actually worth it if I spend the whole time being afraid.

Has anyone experienced, other than the story Carol told about the couple having everything taken while on BLM land, any negatives while camping in any of these out-of-the-way areas?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #77

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
I am constantly spending time in the 'boonies' on BLM land and have never had an issue, nor have I known of anyone who has. The crime statistics for those areas are extremely low. Not saying things never happen, but crime on BLM land is far less common than crime in big cities. I've spent days at a time by myself being the only trailer around for miles and often leave the trailer locked up for full days at a time when hI king or exploring. Of course, I also lived in Los Angeles for 38 years without being robbed or murdered so maybe I'm just lucky.

In any case... I camp on BLM land for the privacy more so than the cost. But free is definitely nice!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #78

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Thanks, Matt. I appreciate hearing from an experienced BLM land user.

Funny---as I was writing that post, I was tempted to downgrade "fearfulness" to "hesitancy"....
but, in all honesty, fearfulness is what it is, so that's what I wrote. No sense in pretending.

We've got plans to explore the southwest this winter and BLM lands figure into our agenda.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #79

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I carry a few more gadgets than most. A camera that cost $500.00 4 years ago, a cell phone booster, a 6 year old upgraded laptop capable of running my business (cheapie laptops won't do, I need lots of storage and sophisticated database, image processing, web development software. I also carry a couple of iPads (also dated). Still I would hate to lose it all and have to rebuild all the apps and data, though its all backed up in at least 3 locations. So, my approach is just to make my rig less attractive to a thief. That means being careful where I leave our Scamp, making entry a bit more difficult and hiding everything of value. I expect thieves are interested in a quick entry and escape. If they find a bit of cash and my decoy obsolete cell phone they may conclude its time to move on without searching for better stuff. I sometimes carry a decoy wallet with expired credit cards and a couple of twenties when visiting large cities.

That said my only experience as a victim was a missing propane tank taken from my home's carport in a very safe neighborhood. I still think it was probably a neighbor who ran out mid-steak and forgot to tell me. I think my most real risk is someone making off with my whole newish Scamp and taking all. I do use a hitch lock but realize its limitations. So I don't worry much, just pay the insurance man and take easy precautions.

Lucky so far, john
Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #80

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
We travel with about $25k in camera gear but if it's not in our actual mitts it's locked in the car. A couple of years ago we took my in-laws from germany on a 3 week camping trip in south dakota and wyoming. They were stunned at how safe the american campgrounds seemed. Like, people weren't stealing everything that wasn't nailed down as they'd experienced in europe.

And I've probably told this story before, but when I was walking alone across pennsylvania with a pack horse, people would come out of their houses to talk to me, the main point of the convo being "this is dangerous!"....as they handed over muffins and iced tea. Nobody ever got the irony in the moment.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #81

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some helpful tips this morning from the Onion!

Keeping your Possessions Safe While Traveling
Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #82

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Some helpful tips this morning from the Onion!

Keeping your Possessions Safe While Traveling
The Onion always gives the best, sound advice out there.

Though, I certainly hope my wife doesn't get word of this article, as she may be inclined to believe it, and take to heart this particular advice.
  • Max out your credit cards with expensive purchases so criminals can’t use them

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote