We have been ripped off. They took everything. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #41

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I can't imagine what I'd put in a safe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Jewelry, gold and silver coins, watches, important papers, or pretty much anything you like. Not just for guns. I have two at home. When we're on the road, I don't carry any of that stuff so I haven't really found the need.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't carry a lot of valuables and I got rid of my paranoia a long time ago. Maybe if I still had my paranoia a safe would be a good place to keep it.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #43

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Strange this came up the day after I installed a hidden lock box in the Casita for hiding the passports and spare keys for the truck. I used a small metal lock box and attached it to the end of the utensil drawer, In the Casita the drawer has a latch on the bottom to prevent it from being pulled out too far and to access the box , you have to release the latch and pull the draw out. Its not a large box but its just to put stuff if we are heading to the shower. I was going to put in a 30 cal ammo box bolted to the floor in the closet but space is at a premium.
Attached Thumbnails
232e47f2-1e97-49d4-aece-71245c85fe3f_1000.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #44

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Jewelry, gold and silver coins, watches, important papers, or pretty much anything you like. Not just for guns. I have two at home. When we're on the road, I don't carry any of that stuff so I haven't really found the need.
So...people take their jewelry and their coin collection camping? I can't wrap my head around that. I guess I can understand it if you're full-timing though.

Also I would love to be able to avoid for-pay campgrounds, but we have a shortage of BLM land out here on the east coast. Actually most of the state park campgrounds I've been in felt 100% safe and my main complaint is always the noise levels of neighboring campers. (why must people yell so much?)
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dudley, glad to see I'm not the only paranoid camper or just maybe you and me, we are the only ones that will keep some items safe.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #46

Arkansas
Registry
We have been ripped off. They took everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
So...people take their jewelry and their coin collection camping? I can't wrap my head around that. I guess I can understand it if you're full-timing though.

Also I would love to be able to avoid for-pay campgrounds, but we have a shortage of BLM land out here on the east coast. Actually most of the state park campgrounds I've been in felt 100% safe and my main complaint is always the noise levels of neighboring campers. (why must people yell so much?)

Jen, I think you misread my post. I specifically said I don't have that stuff with me when I'm on the road, so I haven't found the need for a safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Passports and Money

Again like Byron, we don't worry too much about theft but do simple things to not make it easy for others,

We do have a small trunk hand gun safe for those times we carry a gun, generally rare and certainly never to Canada.

We always carry our passports with us though we mostly travel in the USA and once or twice a year in Canada. We always carry two forms of our passports in two different locations. When we renewed our passports we also got the passport cards. Should we have our passports stolen the cards can serve as a backups to get us a new ones.

We're not big on jewelry and don't carry too much.

As to money there's always a minimal amount that's easy to find. Sometimes there's more but difficult to fine. The Scamp has more hiding places than a casual criminal would ever have time to find.

We don't buy expensive electronics. We each have a Chromebook that so far have been failure proof, each under $200. We don't leave them visible but could easily be found should some one break in.

We have three sets of keys, Ginny and I each carry one at all times. They do go to the pool with us. Ginny worked in insurance and told me if it's not locked, it's not covered. We always lock the trailer and car. Also we installed a real motorhome style lock on our Scamp.

We often see people with a slew of credit cards. We only carry two and principally use one, the second serving as a backup should someone get the number for the first. With Bank of America virtually every where we go we're covered instantly should we have a problem.

Stolen beer???? We have never carried a cooler and rarely drink beer, so again not a concern.

We meet a lot of newbies. So many have a fear of theft, robbery, assault. I just don't see it as part of our lifestyle, at least not the part we experience.

The other Newbie fear is tow vehicles and backing up. Neither should be any kind of significant issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #48

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't carry a lot of valuables and I got rid of my paranoia a long time ago. Maybe if I still had my paranoia a safe would be a good place to keep it.

Mine's at home, not in my camper. Please tell me you're not suggesting that if you have a home safe you're paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #49

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Being a livelong resident of Baltimore, grew up in the city but now live in a quiet neighborhood in Baltimore county, but i still work in the city. I know not to travel with valuables. I've learned to not even leave change visible in my vehicles, the drug addicts will break a $200 window for .50 cent in change. I sleep with 2 pitbulls in my bedroom and my Glock in the nightstand.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #50

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If I had to sleep with a Glock in my nightstand and two pitbulls in the bedroom I would move, I suspect many people will move from Baltimore, possibly creating a 'Detroit 2'.

My first adult mentor said maximize fun...

In 1 years of intense travel I've never felt I needed a gun at the ready.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #51

It appears that people are carrying allot of stuff to the beach and or pool.
Who's parioniod here, the people that carry everything around or the ones that lock those things up??
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #52

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I was thinking about this thread last nite - had to get into one of my hidden spots to get one of my Owner's manuals. It was tough pulling it out as it was buried under all those jewels and gold dubloons.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #53

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
This would work for most stuff in my trailer. I don't carry much expensive stuff outlet safe
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #54

Well, If everyone starts looking through all their hiding places I wonder if they just might find Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #55

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In 1 years of intense travel I've never felt I needed a gun at the ready.
Nor I. But, 15 years in law enforcement can jade you a bit about human nature. I had to pull my service weapon on only 5 occasions during the time I was a Police Officer, but it was certainly nice to know it was there. These type of issues are always personal, and everyone makes a choice based on what suits them. There is no "one" approach that's the right choice for everyone, and I think that's a good thing.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #56

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Interesting....

People are funny animals. They hear about one incident and go nuts trying to make sure it doesn't happen to them. Something that happens very very rarely. Trust no one to not steal something. Yet, they think nothing of getting into an automobile and driving down the highway where they trust their life to everybody else driving down at same highway. Statistics would indicated that you're more likely to be killed driving down the road than being robbed. This is America where paranoia runs rabid.
Paranoia is an interesting study also. Paranoia loves company, if you're paranoid about something you try to make sure somebody else is too. The internet is full of such stuff.
There's this thing we used to do in business called "risk analysis". The results of the analysis would cause the most effort put into reducing the highest risk thing. It works in the real world of life also.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #57

Arkansas
Registry
I work in IT security and use risk analysis as part and parcel of my job. We do indeed address the most high risk and likely scenarios first, and set our remediation priorities accordingly.

But, paranoia is an unreasonable fear. A healthy consideration of risk, and taking reasonable steps to mitigate it, is not paranoia -- its good sense. Generalizations are as bad as paranoia.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #58

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
It appears that people are carrying allot of stuff to the beach and or pool.
Who's parioniod here, the people that carry everything around or the ones that lock those things up??
'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #59

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Generalizations are as bad as paranoia.

Yes...........
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #60

Today people are getting shot all over the place. Restaurants, warehouse clubs, gas stations, schools where in some localities they have armed the teachers, airplanes where they have armed the pilots, shot on the streets etc. More states are allowing concealed carry permits and Open Carry. The dynamics of staying safe is changing.