We're Back from NC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well the full ditty is as follows:

"I before E
except after C,
and in words with an "A"
such as neighbor and weigh."

But course there are exceptions, like weird and caffeine. And "height" looks like neighbor and weigh, but doesn't really follow the rule. Most linguistic rules like this do have exceptions.

Budweiser is of German origin, so it follows the second "rule" I mentioned in my earlier post, which is that in German "ie" is pronounced "eeeee" and "ei" is pronounced "eye."

Germanic origins are also why "wiener" is pronounced the way it is in English, and like a Mexican person would say "Winner" (loosely). That was the origin of the pun on the aforementioned billboard (which, doesn't quite work with the misspelling). Because they were trying to imply that you are "always a winner" at their establishment. But with kids in the car on a long trip, "whiner" is probably more appropriate, which is part of what makes me laugh about it. I mean, it's a mistake that's almost funnier because it's a mistake

Sorry if anyone's rolling their eyes at me "over-explaining," but... questions arose so I felt I should clarify where I hadn't been clear. The English teacher in me can't help herself

I hope Melissa doesn't mind, since this is more of a chatty thread than anything.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
I think we were typing at the same time....
I suspect Melissa has a good sense of humor (most of us do!).
FWIW, decades ago I taught ESL in college... and English is a lot tougher than most languages, because of all the many, many irregularities in spelling, pronunciation, and verb conjugations. Ours is an inherited, mixed language from so many sources.... fascinating for linguists, and possibly, just a pain in the bu** for new learners....

The billboard was hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
No, I dont mind at all. It's made the thread quite funny and entertaining. One could even say educational, lol. I never knew the rest of the "I before E" ryhme. I can use that with my 1st grader. Now that I know there is an English Teacher among us I must proofread a little better, lol. I just caught a mistake in my orginal post where I said something about Hubby being "couped" up instead of "cooped" up. Although being the car head he is the "mistake" actually fits better. Now if I could just get the hang of commas. My 8th grader struggles with that too. Has anybody else noticed that on camping forums most of the posters use proper grammar, spelling, larger words etc? Yet folks I meet in every day life cant spell to save their lives. At first I thought maybe it was b/c most of the posters were from the previous generation where such things were stressed and considered important but even the younger folks on the boards seem to be pretty proficient in these areas. In today's world (OMG, did I just say that?) where so many teens and young adults are texting, emailing, instant messaging you would think grammar and spelling would be improved but it seems to be quite the opposite. I know there is a "shortcut" language but when reading comments on Blogs etc. where they are trying to express complete thoughts most are nearly incomprehendable due to grammar and spelling errors. Gee, I think I just hijacked my own thread, LOL!!

Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote