We Should Crowd Source a Travel/RV Camping Guide - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
I have a Garmin Nuvi 3580 GPS. While Garmin provides a computer based planning application (Garmin Base Camp) I have not found it useful. If you use it to plan a non interstate route, when you load it into the GPS is usually changes the route to what ever the GPS feels like!

My solution has been to route to set the GPS for no highways & no tolls, then choose individual towns & cities located on my chosen route as destinations. When I reach one, I chose another further along the way.

Of course you may have to apply some logic to the process. For example, if I want to go from my upstate NY home to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, if I chose "no tolls" it adds 600 miles to the trip to avoid paying the bridge toll at Niagara Falls. There are also parts of the country where the interstates are the only practical road to take.

Overall, I find combining the GPS with paper maps works well. There is no way I could carry paper maps for the entire country as detailed as the GPS, but I still use a Walmart Atlas almost every day.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Hopefully Jon you don't need your GPS to get to Niagara Falls anyway but good thinking about avoiding tolls sometimes you can't. We lucked out after the Niagara rally heading to the Mississippi one crossing at Buffalo, no toll because they are only on the Niagara bridges entering Canada. Of course we had paid to get into Ontario at Port Huron-Sarnia in August!

Our method of planning route avoiding the interstates if possible is to map out ahead on the iPad and take screen shots of the route. Then I can glance at the maps if needed enroute and they much more readable than using the iPhone. We don't have data plan on phone in US so this is handy. We used this method in September past Buffalo through NY, PA, OH, IN, IL. Sometimes you can be surprised for example just off the route in OH was a state park at which we stopped, not the best sites but lovely new shower building. On walking that evening along the canal discovered the quaint town of Grand Rapids OH, so had to take Beth there on leaving the morning and could hardly get going that day for all her shopping!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
When we travel through the states we often stop at information stations located close to state lines. They are most often manned by local people who have a vast knowledge of the area and love to talk about their own special places. We have seen places and things that are not in any brochure and enjoyed some wonderful conversations. Ten to fifteen minutes of friendly chatter after miles of road watching leaves you relaxed and ready to tackle the next hundred of take a side trip to a magical destination.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Information is where you find it. This past weekend while taking the kid to the Fair we walked through one of the buildings housing booths with Government and non-profit type displays. One of them was the local Fish and Game Dept. I picked up a brochure for a very large Wildlife Management area next to a National Forest. Turns out there are several "primitive campgrounds" in the Wildlife Management Area shown on the map. I had specifically searched on the internet for information on camping down there and found nothing! Here I am just walking around and find info on boondocking activities not far from the house.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote