We towed our egg home! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Wink

We went and towed our little Scamp home yesterday. She's in really really good shape for a '78! Not anything really major to do- the seller had been fixing up already, intending it for his use....He had to sell it because his wife said NO WAY I ain't camping in that thing.. she wanted a "real" RV!

So- he had done all the repairs from a window leak around the table area- fixed the floor and put in all new carpeting.. we personally would have preferred linoleum... I can't stand having to think about vacuuming a camper!

There is rust here and there- the door hinges and latch, too. What do I polish those up with? The axle needs to be gone over and given a rustoleum paint job, too.

I couldn't tell from the pictures before if this trailer had the "fur" or the other walls- it has, thankgoodness, those vinyl walls. I am wondering if they can be painted on with some sort of paint... I could do stenciling! How fun that would be.

Exterior needs to be cleaned and re-coated/painted! I'll have to have advice from all of you here as to how to handle the exterior! What and how to clean it up....then what sort of Paint, then new gel-coat? I teased my husband- oh we should paint it PINK and paint on ears, nose and tail like a piggy! (but I think no other color but white will do for the sun reflective reason!!)

My must- have list immmediately is a screen door!! Husband said- why? Would you sleep with just the screen door in BEAR country??? I rolled my eyes at him and said- like we didn't sleep in the pop up camper in spots with bears??? Geeeesh

Husband says his must is an awning! Anyone add an awning to an older Scamp>?

Oh another thing I'd love is the ceiling vent fan. And I'm wondering- for the future- if they eventually made windows for the ends that open, too?

I have to re-decorate it. Has the YUCKY brownish gunny-sack type of cushion covers, naturally. I must have ANY color than brown. Would be fun to do a space-theme, since these little eggs look sorta "futuristic" in their way. There are so many fabrics with cool space motifs!! hahaha Maybe paint the bottom half silver??

We couldn't even bring it all the way home yet- had to leave it in a son's driveway- OUR driveway out here in the boonies has THE worst frost boil mud pit in it- We got hubby's car out and he's been walking in and out last couple days waiting for that pit to dry!

Anyway- hubby said when pulling it home- OH MAN it's like there is NOTHING behind us! We borrowed son's blazer to go get it. So hubby is pleased. ME too!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Oh the excitement of coming home with your new trailer. wonderful

and Yes you can paint the elephant hide inside wall covering. I'm trying to remember with what kind of paint, but I'm coming up blank. Surely someone else here will remember.

Maybe the insides should be pink and call her 'Piggy'. The thought of ears an what sounds cool, but might not be aerodynamic,
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Debra good going enjoy the trailer. Remember start from the bottom and work up or the inside and work out. Don't forget bearings, axle, wiring , frame etc.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Pink made me remember, when we were camping at a county campground just south of LaCrosse on the Mississippi, A woman came thru with a little pink car that said Barbie on the side, She looked like Barbie too, But much older.
Anyway she stopped dead on the road and stared at my Burro for about 15 minutes.
It was a little creepy. Most people come up and talk.

I had a hard time sleeping that night I figured I'd wake up in her driveway and the Burro would be pink!

I understand she live in LaCrosse, so stay away from there! LOL
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Congrats on your new/used little egg... Happy Camping!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Debra

Right now there is good information in the Care and Feeding section of this site, about how to restore the outside gell coat. Painting can be expensive and if the exsisting exterior is not in too bad of shape this could save you some money. Hope yoour mud whole dries out soon so you can get started on making the Scamp your own.

Good camping and have fun
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Congratualtions! You'll love your "new" rv!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Don't laugh at a Pink trailer with ears. Last summer we spotted a Boler on the road painted like a lady bug, Red with Black spots!
Con is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper