Weather alert radio recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Weather alert radio recommendations?

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations on a weather alert radio (ac/dc) that gets great reception to take with on camping trips?
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Ham radios or FRS/GMRS radios will receive the weather bands, but generally don't allow use of S.A.M.E. codes. Some high end scanners will allow use of S.A.M.E. codes. I have a Uniden 396XT that recognizes S.A.M.E. codes. I have Midland Radio - Midland Radio | Communication Solutions For Your World this midland radio at home. It does allow for an external antenna which would greatly increase reception. It will run on 3 AA batteries, but I haven't tested how long.

Do you want one with the hand crank or just battery operation? Do you want to listen to other other signals also?

Generally, you will get what you pay for, so shop features you want as costly as you want to spend.

I only have the dedicated Midland at home and rely on my scanner and ham radios when away from home.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I recently purchased the Jensen #JHD910 heavy duty weatherproof 12v am/fm with weather radio and S>A>M>E alerts. It comes with speakers/antenna and is a little pricey but it may save your life. Installing it this week. Will post a review.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I bought a cheap weather alert radio awhile back. It drove me crazy since it blurted out trouble that was hundreds of miles away in the middle of the night and kept us awake for no reason. It stays in the camper and if I ever wonder about things, I will turn it on.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'm following this thread with interest. We wanted a 12v weather radio with the alert feature after last summer's tornado scares in Minnesota. We have a little portable, but no alert.
I purchased a battery-operated unit at RadioShack (their brand), and the clerk helped me select the appropriate 12v adaptor to attach to it, but it was really too large for the trailer, without a good place to mount it, and I took it back. Still looking.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Chris Z
I don't know if this will work with the radio you have, but if you can take the antenna off or maybe put foil around the antenna it would shorten the receive range.
Also check the manual and see if you can change the S.A.M.E. settings to just the county you are in.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I bought a cheap weather alert radio awhile back. It drove me crazy since it blurted out trouble that was hundreds of miles away in the middle of the night and kept us awake for no reason. It stays in the camper and if I ever wonder about things, I will turn it on.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you want just weather, a Radioshack weather cube will do the trick
RadioShack® Weather Cube Radio - RadioShack.com

As we like to listen to the radio at night (usually Red Sox games) instead of carrying two radios we bought a Sonido AM/FM/Weather radio that goes all summer on 4 D cells. It has the weather alerts if you choose to turn them on.

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SNR-Cr.../dp/B000GP5F04

Ours also picks up the old TV frequencies that were made obsolete when everyone went digital. There may be a newer version. Hope this helps, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I purchased just the cheap ones at the grocery store, It's a big thing here in Colorado and one of the New's channels teams up with the Grocery stores and sells them. They can be set to receive different types of Alerts, county's etc. I think it was $25. I keep them on every floor of the house. Only downfall/blessing is that if the area weather is active, it will beep (loud alarm) for every burst of wind, drop of rain the particular Weather station in that area detects. Again, a pain, but certainly a blessing. I have one for the trailer but only turn it on when I see weather coming in. I keep them plugged in all winter in the house. And they certainly don't alert very often unless there is a blizzard warning or something big.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I have a inexpensive "Oregon Scientific All Hazard SAME Emergency Monitor" that sits here on my desk. It seems to work ok, yesterday it kept getting an Amber Alert.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #10

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Thanks everyone for their responses so far! This will help us focus on researching the particular radios that were mentioned. I'll let you know what we decide.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We use our smart phone, a Blackberry, for weather alerts. It has the ability to figure out our location via it's GPS chip and will give us an alert for our location. It's nice because it's like a Leatherman, a multipurpose belt tool. It has become our still and video camera, our source for email, our gps system, our gecaching tool and so on. Just an amazing device. I also carry a Leatherman. It was a gift when we started RVing 10 years ago and I use it every day.....and no monthly service charge.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Since I needed a radio for the camper, this one I felt would meet my needs, particularly after those deaths last year due to flash floods in the campgrounds. Once installed it will automatically warn you of impending weather issues. here is the link-
Waterproof Radio | JHD910 JENSEN Heavy Duty AM/FM/WB Mini Waterproof Radio
12V DC Power
- AM/FM Electronic Tuner (US/Euro)
- Front panel audio AUX-in for use with iPods, MP3 players & portable CD players
- 7-Channel NOAA Weatherband tuner
- Weather Alert automatically switches to WB mode when NOAA warning broadcast is received
- 2-wire connection allows unit to maintain station presets
- Clock runs up to 30 days when vehicle battery is disconnected
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote