wee dogs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
wee dogs

When camping what do I need to know about the care, comfort and safety of our two little dogs? They each have a travel kennel that they use in the car and the Trillium. We have the food and water situation under control - except for sites with a pesky squirrel that likes dog biscuits!

When we tie them outside they get tangled up a lot and it gets difficult too to keep them out of the rain or hot sun (depending on what the weather is doing.)

How do you organise around furbabies? I'm looking for helpful hints!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Well, I found that taking my pup dog (a 20 lb boston terrier) is a lot like taking a 2 year old toddler. They get into a lot of stuff, and you can't really leave them alone for too long But since my goal is to camp with the little guy, I don't leave him alone much. I do a lot of walks to keep him tired out. He likes to lay in the shade of my awning, but I tie him on a shorter lead so that he can't tangle around my awning poles and pull it down. Some people also like to put their pets out in a sectional fence system. What size are your pups?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I go back and forth between tie-outs and exercise pens. Jack can escape from an ex-pen but he likes to play Cats Cradle on a tie-out, so it is a toss-up. The other two are slightly better in an ex-pen so I usually- not always- go with that and simply crate Jack if I'm not able to watch him. For two small dogs an ex-pen is pretty easy. There are soft-sided ones if you are worried about weight but they tend to take more storage space. Lately I've been using two short (24 inch) pens which makes a total of 32 feet of space, and I put my recliner inside, too.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1732794416.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	55123
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
My furbabies are about 10lbs apiece - bichon crosses. Tiny - white but often dirty - fluffy when not mud encrusted - fun loving. They haven't mentioned Cat's Cradle but we seem to see some leash knitting occasionally!

The pens look interesting - I'll give that some thought, for sure.

Maybe a mix of walks (that we do anyway), time in a pen and time on short leashes would be good. They are happy to spend time in the travel kennels too. If WE nap the furbabies expect to nap too.

I suppose I should think about tick protection too?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #6

Registry
There are some good suggestions about dogs in another thread somewhere. One important one is to have ID for the trip that gives your cell phone and your trailer description in case they are lost away from home. Such as "Spot, I belong to yellow Boler, 555-1212." Tick and flea protection for some areas. (The kind that keeps mosquitos off may be helpful in some locations.) Bring along relevant vaccination records- some campgrounds require them.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I know minnesota requires them on no more than a 6' leash, doesn't seem very fair to the dog.

I like dogs, but this is why I have 3 cats instead. 10 lbs of food in the feeder, 3 gallons in their water dish, 3 litterboxes, they're good. They've hung out on their own for 17 days, no problems. Well, one bites me for a day when I get back...<_<
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I use this tie out from LL Bean, no tangling and no banging the shins
Dog Supplies: Hunting and Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean (scroll down mid page)
I also stay when possible at KOA's some of which have fence in "dog parks" for the fellas to run and get some exercise.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
For those with only one dog: when possible, we run a clothesline between two trees in the campsite, then clip on a short leash with a carabiner that can slide on the overhead line. This allows the dog to run back, forth and around without tangling, and plenty of room to move into sun or shade.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We do similar to what Jack does by stringing a line, usually from a tire rim to a stake-out in the dirt. This is only if the campground insists on it.

Usually, we just have him off the lead, and tell him to stay with us. Most places are good with this, as he is more under control than some with tie-outs or pens.

I know everyone is different with their furkids, but I am a huge fan of them being well trained. I find it is way easier to spend a couple months to fully train them, then to spend their lifetime of dealing with the results of not training. Not that my dog is an angel, I just know that if he is told to do something, he will.

But hey, as long as they get to come along, and enjoy themselves too, all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I have a Bichon and find that halfway thru the first day he is pooped out. He is always on a long lead.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since tying two dogs is impractical due to tangling problems, it seems to me that the pen's your only option except when walking them or they're in the trailer with you.

And please:

Do all of us pet owners (and camp neighbors) a favor and do not leave the dogs unattended in the trailer at campgrounds. Barking, unattended dogs are a main reason for increasing restrictions on pets at campgrounds!

Not that yours would let out so much as a peep, of course...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Also consider the risks posed by local wildlife. A 5 lb yorkee would make a fine lunch for a bird of prey.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I know everyone is different with their furkids, but I am a huge fan of them being well trained. I find it is way easier to spend a couple months to fully train them, then to spend their lifetime of dealing with the results of not training. Not that my dog is an angel, I just know that if he is told to do something, he will.

But hey, as long as they get to come along, and enjoy themselves too, all is good.
I'm a big advocate of training, too, and mine would stay around. But I don't want to take the chance that if a deer wandered by they wouldn't take off after it- hard to proof for that- or that someone else's off-leash dog might start something.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Since tying two dogs is impractical due to tangling problems, it seems to me that the pen's your only option except when walking them or they're in the trailer with you.
Done it many a time with three. It would be better if said Cats Cradle dog didn't weave, but it still works. If I run a cable between a couple of trees they have plenty of room. Periodically I just untangle. In a more open location I'd be more likely to use tie-outs; in a wooded area, X-pens.

One warning, though, is make sure your dog can't do something like jump onto the picnic table and off the other side with insufficient cable to hit the ground- they can hang themselves. Also make sure they can't get to the road.

Agreed, too, on the possibility of a tiny dog becoming prey. Cover the X-pen.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #16

Registry
I have to explain a little more about the Cats Cradle game. One evening I put Jack on a long leash and watched. His first thing was to go under my chair and out the other side. Then weave around a few other chairs. Then the table. Then- and this is how I know he just enjoys the game- he went through the strap of someone's backpack that was lying on the ground! (He's a corgi, low to the ground, and just stuck his head under the strap and ducked through.) I started watching at home and he does it off-leash, too, lots of in, out, around, up, down.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #17

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
We camp with 2 chihuahuas and a husky mix. The chi's ( apprx 4 lbs each) spend most outdoor time in an X-pen together. I have a camo canvas cover for when the sun hits them. Husky mix spends time on a tie out or her wire crate. Chi's actually like it in doors the most and snooze on the bunks. Flea/tick protection is a must and a heart worm test and medication is a good idea too. NEVER LEAVE THEM UN ATTENDED. We get Trailer Magazine and the last issue had a page of pets. Imagine traveling with 4 springer spaniels, 5 yorkies, 4 greyhounds, or 5 poodles. Cats love to RV too.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I'm a big advocate of training, too, and mine would stay around. But I don't want to take the chance that if a deer wandered by they wouldn't take off after it- hard to proof for that- or that someone else's off-leash dog might start something.
If your dog is prone to chasing deer, or fighting, I agree that they should be tied. Reasons like these are why the rules are in there in the first place.

Our dog would love to chase deer, and in certain circumstances I have allowed it, but he knows that he needs permission first. In near 5 years, he has not had an altercation with another dog, though has scooted away when others get snarky with him.

Unfortunately, rules were made to encompass dogs with every level of training, and if required we do follow them. He is just glad to be there whenever he can be.

BTW, Jasper is an Australian Shepherd, so a pen would not do any good.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The first thing I do even for a one night stay is make Lily a yard. I have 2 pens. The pens come with 8 panel each. I took them apart so that I have 1 - 6 panel, 2 - 4 panels and 1- 2 panel. This gives me lots of options for the size of her yard so I don't have to always deal with both 8 panels.

When I am camping for a couple nights or more I generally use 1 - 4 panel from the left side of the trailer door, then the 6 panel and then the 2 panel which comes back to the right side of the door. This makes a nice yard under the awning.

I made a little fence for the space under the door so Lily can't get out under the trailer. This little fence is made out of cookie racks held together with small hose clamps which act as hinges. The cookie racks that are directly under the door had to be cut down slightly.
Attached Thumbnails
2007-7-30 Weirs Beach site 2 Vancouver Island BC.JPG   2008-6-29 High Cliff SP site 81 WI #2.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #20

Registry
That looks quite cozy, Joy.