Weight of Scamp 5th Wheel with Deluxe pkg. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
I lost the address to yahooscampers. Will you please re-post it for me.
Thanks, DR
Darwin: Look at the Nav-bar at left, under Helpful-Links > Travel Trailer Groups > Scamp Yahoo Group.

(Now you'll never lose it again, 'cause you'll always know how to find it!)

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
What I learned when I was choosing my tow was that the maximum safe limit is 80% of the rated tow capacity. If you have a 3500# tow capacity and the trailer weighed 3200#, you'd be at 91.4%. That sounds dangerous to me -- consider braking capacity in an emergency
I have no problem with people adding whatever safety margin makes them feel comfortable, but I do not see a need to add any. If 100% of the rated limits were unsafe, the limits would not be set there.

Please remember that the trailer weight is not the only thing to consider - cargo and passenger load counts, too. I stay within all of the load limits (GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, GTWR...), so I'm not concerned if I am right up to one of them. If people are selecting towing capacity without considering the rest of the load, then maybe it is a good idea to leave more margin.

The braking of any significant trailer is done primarily by the trailer brakes. It would indeed be scary to have a couple tons of trailer being stopped by the brakes on the truck... but I believe that the solution is to properly equip the rig with trailer brakes and a suitable controller. The remaining braking work done by the truck is one of the factors which leads to the factory rating, and thus one of the reasons to not violate it.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I was looking at torque and horsepower specs on the 4 cylinder version of the 2008 Chevy Colorado. Their 2.9 liter 4-cylinder has better torque and horsepower than my Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V-6...
Wow... that is one wimpy Ford motor! 3.0L and less than 185 hp? Welcome back to the 20th century! (Sorry, have to take the occasional jab at the state of the Big Three's products...)

The Colorado's 5-cylinder (same engine with one more cylinder) has proportionately more power and torque, and gains enough in capability that the towing limit (in the GM Canada specs) is a flat 4000 lb, regardless of other vehicle details... it seems that with the larger engine, something else becomes the truck's limiting factor. Fuel economy while empty is not quite as good, but may be just as good while towing, so it may be a better match for some people.

Anyway, as Peter has implied, cylinder count, and even displacement, is not everything.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weighing, weight