Weight of Scamp 5th Wheel with Deluxe pkg. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
Does anyone know what the approximate weight of a Scamp 5th Wheel would be with the addition of the "Deluxe Package" which includes the wood interior cabinets in lieu of the fiberglass. I would also have air and a shower package with the gas water heater. Does anyone own one of these? Do you like it?

I have a 13 ft Scamp right now and I looking at going to the 5th wheel in the future. ny feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
yes Dave we have one exactly as you describe and love it . It weighs in at 3200 pounds fully loaded. of corse 500 of that is on the hitch . We have pulled it 80,000 miles now. Ours is a1995 and there haven't been many changes in the new mold. No front window any more.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Dave we have a 02 Deluxe. The first trip ran it on the scales it weighed 2700 lbs. I tow with an F150 and have to look behind to remember it is there.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
3200 on departure and 3500 on return home, depending if we have the water tank full and how much junk we buy to bring home.

Always heaver on the way home.

I'm told that the wood on the deluxe adds strength to the rig vers the fiberglass cabinets on the non deluxe.

The wood definitely adds weight however with the deluxe U get the front shower and a more private upstairs.

Non Deluxe: You can sleep either across L to right) or Length wise. This is important because with the Deluxe you will have to sleep across and if you r 6ft tall or more, it gets tight. I'm 6ft and I sleep at a small angle to keep my head off the driver side window and my feet off the passenger side window.

Some of the folks have lengthened the bed on the non deluxe models to accomodate taller people.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Scamp web site says 2000 lb (standard, no options, presumably dry) and we have real loaded-for-camping weights reported (for custom, presumably with the A/C, shower, water heater) of 2700 to 3200 lb (thanks, Lyndon/Taylor/Darwin )

Now, does anyone have an unloaded weight? I'm curious, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #6

Thanks for all of the replies.

The reason I'm asking is that I am interested in towing with a 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma. It has a 3500lb. tow rating and a 7500 GVCWR I know its at the end of it means but I like the better mpg and the price of the 4 cyl at this point. We will only be using the 5th wheel for weekends and short vacations primarily in the Michigan area, but the truck will be driven daily for the work commute.

Is the 3200 lb weight refered to above is with the water tanks empty? What tow vehicles are others using? I too am curious as to what the unloaded weight of the fully equiped deluxe model would be.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

The reason I'm asking is that I am interested in towing with a 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma. It has a 3500lb. tow rating and a 7500 GVCWR I know its at the end of it means but I like the better mpg and the price of the 4 cyl at this point. We will only be using the 5th wheel for weekends and short vacations primarily in the Michigan area, but the truck will be driven daily for the work commute.

Is the 3200 lb weight refered to above is with the water tanks empty? What tow vehicles are others using? I too am curious as to what the unloaded weight of the fully equiped deluxe model would be.
Over Labor Day week-end I talked to fine gentleman that was towing a Scamp 5th Wheel with a Toyota Tacoma, 4 cylinder. He's full timing and moves every 2 or 3 days. We were at a campground in the Oregon Cascades, so it would appear that mountain driving with the 4 cyl Toyta is ok too.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
... it would appear that mountain driving with the 4 cyl Toyta is ok too.
There have been two generations of Toyota Tacoma with at least two (and likely three or four) different four-cylinder engines... so I would check that truly comparable trucks are being compared.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Just a note here as you can get the Delux with the open loft and side bath also. very few of these made
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #10

I am looking a getting a new or sligthly used Tacoma so it would have the 2.7 4 cly.

I also notice the two different floor plans, but I thought the bathroom in the front plan looked like the bathroom was a little bigger. Don't know for sure, but that's the way it looked. I'd like to take a trip over to Scamp and see them in person before I make up my mind because what ever we get I plan on living with it for a long while.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
I am looking a getting a new or sligthly used Tacoma so it would have the 2.7 4 cly.
Talk to Scamp before you buy a new Tacoma. The kind person who showed us his brand-new deluxe 5er before we found our used one said Scamp told him new Tacomas weren't a good choice for the 5er - something to do with the composition of the bed and hitch installation, I believe. I'm sure Scamp or someone here with far more knowledge on the subject can clarify.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #12

Some Tacomas use a composite (fiberglass) pickup box, instead of the more traditional steel. This has been done on full-size GM pickups, as well. Since Scamp's hitch for their 19' is fastened only to the box, not bracketed to the frame, they don't recommend using it with a composite box.

A bed-mounted hitch should be fastened through the box to brackets which are attached to the frame, and normal 5th wheel hitches which are used to tow all sorts of RV, agricultural, and commercial trailers are mounted this way. The hitches are designed for this mounting, and corresponding frame brackets are available; Scamp's hitch is not designed to line up with such brackets.

Scamp usually gets away with just mounting to the box because the Scamp 19' is relatively light, but if you mount a hitch properly (with brackets to the frame), then the box material won't matter.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Over Labor Day week-end I talked to fine gentleman that was towing a Scamp 5th Wheel with a Toyota Tacoma, 4 cylinder. He's full timing and moves every 2 or 3 days. We were at a campground in the Oregon Cascades, so it would appear that mountain driving with the 4 cyl Toyta is ok too.
I was looking at torque and horsepower specs on the 4 cylinder version of the 2008 Chevy Colorado. Their 2.9 liter 4-cylinder has better torque and horsepower than my Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V-6, and Chevy says it can tow 5000lbs -- about 2000 lbs over what our trailer typically weighs when loaded up and ready to go. Pretty good gas mileage, too: 17/24 mpg with an automatic transmission, about the same as my 2.8 liter V6 Hyundai Santa Fe. It should have no problems towing a Scamp 5er. Now if they'll just fix that engine so it runs on E-85/flex fuel . . .

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Quote:

Dave:
What I learned when I was choosing my tow was that the maximum safe limit is 80% of the rated tow capacity. If you have a 3500# tow capacity and the trailer weighed 3200#, you'd be at 91.4%. That sounds dangerous to me -- consider braking capacity in an emergency. If your heart is set on that 5th wheel, I'd get another tow vehicle.

good luck!

Eric
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I lost the address to yahooscampers. Will you please re-post it for me.
Thanks, DR
Darwin: Look at the Nav-bar at left, under Helpful-Links > Travel Trailer Groups > Scamp Yahoo Group.

(Now you'll never lose it again, 'cause you'll always know how to find it!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
What I learned when I was choosing my tow was that the maximum safe limit is 80% of the rated tow capacity. If you have a 3500# tow capacity and the trailer weighed 3200#, you'd be at 91.4%. That sounds dangerous to me -- consider braking capacity in an emergency
I have no problem with people adding whatever safety margin makes them feel comfortable, but I do not see a need to add any. If 100% of the rated limits were unsafe, the limits would not be set there.

Please remember that the trailer weight is not the only thing to consider - cargo and passenger load counts, too. I stay within all of the load limits (GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, GTWR...), so I'm not concerned if I am right up to one of them. If people are selecting towing capacity without considering the rest of the load, then maybe it is a good idea to leave more margin.

The braking of any significant trailer is done primarily by the trailer brakes. It would indeed be scary to have a couple tons of trailer being stopped by the brakes on the truck... but I believe that the solution is to properly equip the rig with trailer brakes and a suitable controller. The remaining braking work done by the truck is one of the factors which leads to the factory rating, and thus one of the reasons to not violate it.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
I was looking at torque and horsepower specs on the 4 cylinder version of the 2008 Chevy Colorado. Their 2.9 liter 4-cylinder has better torque and horsepower than my Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V-6...
Wow... that is one wimpy Ford motor! 3.0L and less than 185 hp? Welcome back to the 20th century! (Sorry, have to take the occasional jab at the state of the Big Three's products...)

The Colorado's 5-cylinder (same engine with one more cylinder) has proportionately more power and torque, and gains enough in capability that the towing limit (in the GM Canada specs) is a flat 4000 lb, regardless of other vehicle details... it seems that with the larger engine, something else becomes the truck's limiting factor. Fuel economy while empty is not quite as good, but may be just as good while towing, so it may be a better match for some people.

Anyway, as Peter has implied, cylinder count, and even displacement, is not everything.

Tags
scamp, weighing, weight