weirdest thing you saw campers do - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I have been reading all of these posts and I have to admit the only stories (and I'm afraid there are a lot of them) that come to mind all involve me somehow! Yeesch! Maybe with enough martinis in me, I'll share some.
Sharon, you've told us about wild adventures you've had when your trailer's parked at home. We can't even begin to guess what happens when you're out camping . . .

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Sharon, you've told us about wild adventures you've had when your trailer's parked at home. We can't even begin to guess what happens when you're out camping . . .

--Peter
AND, she goes camping with people she's never met in person, but met on the Internet
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I was at a nice RV park in Central British Columbia late in a very dry August. Next to me was a European family in a rental Class C. They missed (or didn’t understand) the very large “No Campfires!” signs and proceeded to build a rather large fire in the fire bowl. They were totally puzzled when the manager poured 5 gallons of water on their lovely fire and walked away without saying a word.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry

On our way home from the Oregon Gathering in '06 we pulled into a KOA for an overnight stay. We were assigned a full hook-up space next to a rental class "C" motorhome, and started to set up. Within a moment, the sewer odor was unbearable.

I looked over at our neighbor and saw that they used about 50' of sewer hose to traverse the 36" distance from their coach's connection to the campground connection. The hose was tangled in a mass like last year's Christmas lights. All of the motorhome's windows were closed, and the air conditioner was running on high by the sound of it. A woman was visible inside at the dinnette window, intently studying her book.

We went to the office and requested a either different space, or a refund. The manager, upon hearing our story, apologised profusely, and moved us to the other side of the park. When I went for my twilight walk, I saw that the motorhome had a shorter sewer hose in a rigid holder (much like a section of rain gutter) make a direct run from camper to campground. The odor was gone.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
One fine morning while we were camping at the Living Forest Campground on Vancouver Island, Lynne got up, sat down at the dinette table, and looked out the window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___1__300x400.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	12611

It being morning, and Lynne not yet having consumed much coffee at all, Lynne looked out the window quizzically. Something seemed out of place, but she just couldn't seem to grasp what that thing might be.

Yes. Something seemed a little odd, thought Lynne as she took another sip of coffee.

Out of place . . . And another sip.

It was like one of these Sesame Street puzzles. The ones that came wit the song "Three of these things they go together, three of these thing are much the same, but one of these things, is not like the others. . . " And another sip of coffee.

Slowly the coffee parted the wisps of fog in my dear and wonderful wife's mind, and the picture started to make a twisted kind of sense. That's about the time I got back from my morning shower.

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___2__300x400.jpg
Views:	86
ID:	12612

The poor couple! They'd arrived late and camped the night. He'd gotten up to walk the dog and she got up to sit on the pot, and it was at this moment that the camper-van started to roll backward . . . down the hill.

What a way to start the morning. The poor woman . . . her guy had not properly set his brake the night before.

Fortunately it only rolled about 15 feet down the hill before encountering a large and rather immovable fir tree, otherwise she and the van would have splashed down in the marshy muck at the edge of the channel below. The back door and spare tire absorbed most of the impact with the tree, so the van was mostly intact. Alas, the couple decided that they'd had enough camping just now and went home after their van was towed back up the hill.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #26

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I thought for sure I would have made this list after showing the pictures for the Big Dig In Maine I posted last month but....
Other then that, While camping at the Pinederosa in Wells Maine, due to over-booking, people were required to change sites in the middle of thier stays and the strangest things was the way some of these people would try to stack everything they had on top of there vehicles.
We saw 12 X12 fully open tents, crammed full of chairs, stoves, coolers, water jugs, kids water rafts, kids bikes and on top of the tent they had thier screen house all traveling down the dirt road.
All for not as a low hung branches on the trees managed to sweep the whole back of the truck clear and make a general mess when coolers and even porta-potty tipped over inside..ewwww.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #27

Quote:
I thought for sure I would have made this list after showing the pictures for the Big Dig In Maine I posted last month but....
Perhaps because the title of the topic is "weirdest thing you saw campers do, crazy neighbours"
Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #28

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Many years ago while camping in a primative campground, we saw a girl about 13 walking around holding a hair dryer. When we asked her if she was lost or needed help, she replied, "my uncle told me there were current bushes here and I could just plug my hair dryer into them, I just can't tell which are current bushes".

I suppose instead of laughing we should have told her that they weren't blooming yet.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Cool

Quote:
Many years ago while camping in a primative campground, we saw a girl about 13 walking around holding a hair dryer. When we asked her if she was lost or needed help, she replied, "my uncle told me there were current bushes here and I could just plug my hair dryer into them, I just can't tell which are current bushes".

I suppose instead of laughing we should have told her that they weren't blooming yet.
That sounds like something out of the military. I heard a friend who was a Navy Chief sent some young seaman after a "mail bouy". They hand a large hook on a 20ft pole and this kid gets to set out all night looking for a bouy that doesn't exist.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
That sounds like something out of the military. I heard a friend who was a Navy Chief sent some young seaman after a "mail bouy". They hand a large hook on a 20ft pole and this kid gets to set out all night looking for a bouy that doesn't exist.
Or like in the Air Force where a new airman may be sent to get some "Prop Wash" & 20 feet of "Flight Line".
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

One of the reasons why my Nieces And Nephews will never be told of the existence of this site. Being an Uncle can be such fun.

In the Teamsters we make sure the bright eyed gung-ho kids don't forget to check the air pressure on the fifth wheel, that the 'castle nut' is torqued properly on the King-pin, and that the signal fluid levels are good. After all a proper pre-trip inspection is not just for safety, it is the law.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You should have looked her dead in the eye, with a serious expression on your face, and asked her "where's your shovel? This time of year the plugs haven't broken through the surface, you know."
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
This happened while tent camping 20 years ago at Lost Valley campground in Arkansas. My wife and I along with one other couple were camped on a hillside just above another couple who had a single-walled tent (pay attention to the single-walled tent, it's important). We had just finished supper and were sitting around a small campfire after dark had fallen, enjoying a few tasty beverages. The couple down the hill from us (no more than 30 feet) retired to their tent, turned on a light inside the tent and proceeded to try all the sexual positions afforded in the Kama Sutra. Their silhouettes were perfectly projected on their single-walled tent (I told you it was important). The other male in the group and I were the only ones in our camp that noticed this performance and our wives were otherwise engaged in conversation about the day's hike. We had watched the downhill couple perform for about 15 minutes when I elbowed my wife and pointed in the direction of the "show". When she saw what was going on, she let out the hugest guffaw of laughter I think I've ever heard from a lady as petite as she! Suddenly the light went out in the performer's tent and the show was over for the night. When we awoke the next morning, their tent was already gone so we didn't get the chance to goodbye...
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005

Name:	Ozarks_June_2006__256___Medium_.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	13121

I understand it's not that uncommon, but this "cool on a stool" for tent comfort was new to me. After all we were camping in the Ozark Mountains.

Harold
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #35

Quote:
I understand it's not that uncommon, but this "cool on a stool" for tent comfort was new to me. After all we were camping in the Ozark Mountains.
Harold
Oh my eyes are leaking. That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, cool on a stool indeed
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #36

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Attachment 13121

Harold
Check out Post#8 in this thread...I saw the same thing. Guess where?....THE OZARKS!
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #37

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Just got back from Tishomingo State Park in Mississippi, where we witnessed a rather scary sight. A couple with an older stick-built, about 25' long, pulling it with an old rattletrap 4-cylinder truck spewing smoke. When they got ready to leave, the man's method of hooking up the trailer consisted of backing up until he bashed into the tongue (more than once) with his wife yelling at him because he wouldn't listen to her when she tried to direct him. She was standing by the tongue with a large hammer (???) It was like watching a Monty Python sketch!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
The strangest thing I've ever seen a camper do was a woman decided that talking on her cell phone while sitting in her minivan was more important than watching her child. She proceeded to lock her child or grandchild in the dog kennel with the dog inside (the wire type). Of course the kid was screaming. Several of us at the pool tried to locate a cell phone to dial 911 and a crowd had gathered by the pool fence. The woman saw the crowd gathering and promptly took the kid out, threw him in her minivan with the door open and took off. We didn't find out of the police caught up with her or not.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote