Well,I did it again - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Well......
It seems another Egg has appeared in my driveway.

I was followed home by a 2001 16' Scamp,Side Dinette just the other day.
It appears practically new and is just a little dirty.

It does not have a Shower,AC,Water Heater or Awning like the Fiberstream,but it is essentially NEW

Still has that NewEgg Smell.

Anyway,there will be much more to come but I just wanted to break the ice before asking too many strange questions.

Oh,why do the Monkeys showw up only AFTER the deed is done?

Ed

__________________

__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Quote:
Oh,why do the Monkeys showw up only AFTER the deed is done?
It gives them focus

They won't be after you any time soon, they are awfully busy at Rogers house.. but.. I'll put them on the schedule.

Where's the pics?????
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Well......
It seems another Egg has appeared in my driveway.

I was followed home by a 2001 16' Scamp,Side Dinette just the other day.
It appears practically new and is just a little dirty.

It does not have a Shower,AC,Water Heater or Awning like the Fiberstream,but it is essentially NEW

Still has that NewEgg Smell.

Anyway,there will be much more to come but I just wanted to break the ice before asking too many strange questions.

Oh,why do the Monkeys showw up only AFTER the deed is done?

Ed
Thats great---When you get to five, start asking your self some serious questions. My fourth is in yard the fifth on order the other three sold. I think i got a problem.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
My fourth is in yard the fifth on order the other three sold. I think i got a problem.
You're fine, Ches. You only have a problem when you gotta built a barn for 'em.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Posts: 444
Cool

Ed. That's cool. Can I come visit the new arrival?

Bonnie
__________________
Plotting my next adventures...
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
---When you get to five, start asking your self some serious questions. My fourth is in yard the fifth on order the other three sold. I think i got a problem.
No problem, as long as you keep selling trailers to make way for the latest acquisitions.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
I guess it would be different if I couldn't stop anytime I want to!

I mean,this time will be different?

I just could not resist.

The trailer was owned since birth by a man who logged every mile since Backus.

Not a lot of miles either. One big trip to Phoenix from Wisconsin and that is really it aside from a few regional excursions.

None of the appliances have even been turned on. I know because there were factory wiring issues that kept both the Furnace and the Fridge from being used and I have already fixed these.

It has the "Privacy"room in front but no shower. I have spoken to Scamp several times now and they DO NOT want to sell me the shower pan for reasons I can not understand.
It looks like an easy drop in mod and then plumbing job to get the shower working but I am starting to develop a bad feeling towards the factory over this.

Anyway,I slept in it when picking it up and it was cold the next morning,then I had to retrofit a normal 7 pin RV plug to get the running lights working and after that it pulled home like an actual dream.

I have had 3 trailers prior to this and none of them pulled like this,none of them were under 30 years old either.

I will try to get some pictures this afternoon.

Meanwhile I do seem to have a fairly major issue I list in the Problems section that I really would like some opinions on.

Thanks
Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
OK Here goes!
Attached Thumbnails
ScampFront_Corner.jpg   ScampDoorSide.jpg  

ScampDoorway.jpg   ScampDinette.jpg  

ScampDinette2.jpg   ScampRtSide.jpg  

__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Chalet
Posts: 510
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
I guess it would be different if I couldn't stop anytime I want to!

I mean,this time will be different?
Ok we all know that this is the sign of someone who is addicted to the highly loveable egg,and this forum is to help people that have that problem. We just have to decide How many eggs is to many? Yes, I'm sorry ,but you do need help and we will all give it to you ... because we know you can't stop (none of us can) and we know this will not be the last one.... so we will just stay close to help you out with all those Mods (even if right now you don't think it needs any).

Good Luck and congrats on the new find. Lynn
__________________
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Charlie C's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Posts: 203
Hi Ed, congrats on the new trailer, it looks great.

From what I understand, there are some differences in the fiberglass parts and the way they fit from before the big fire and after, so I can understand Scamp's reluctance to sell particular parts that may not work successfully or hold water properly such as in the case of the shower pan. It could also be that they have changed the dimensions or design of that area of the trailer.

What you may want to try is to build up your own base pan of fiberglass mat and resin, molded right into the space that you have to work with. As you suggest, the plumbing itself probably won't be the biggest issue. Will the wall panels in the privacy room drain properly into a pan? In the Casita's and the Escapes, trailers with the shower option actually have a separate set of inner walls and floor pan fitted inside the privacy room which makes them a full shower stall.
__________________
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joseph Domingos's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Posts: 285
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
GREAT pics Ed! I have now seen the light, and this is the DREAM trailer down the road for me! hehe I do LOVE my Compact, but someday when there's a significant other in the picture, a 16' with this floorplan would be IDEAL! So congrats on your aquisition and good luck on your mods, I'll be watching to see how they go! Joe
__________________
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Hi Ed, congrats on the new trailer, it looks great.

From what I understand, there are some differences in the fiberglass parts and the way they fit from before the big fire and after, so I can understand Scamp's reluctance to sell particular parts that may not work successfully or hold water properly such as in the case of the shower pan. It could also be that they have changed the dimensions or design of that area of the trailer.

What you may want to try is to build up your own base pan of fiberglass mat and resin, molded right into the space that you have to work with. As you suggest, the plumbing itself probably won't be the biggest issue. Will the wall panels in the privacy room drain properly into a pan? In the Casita's and the Escapes, trailers with the shower option actually have a separate set of inner walls and floor pan fitted inside the privacy room which makes them a full shower stall.
Thanks Charlie,

The first thing I asked was exactly this when looking into the Shower Mod. It turns out that they did have to create new molds after the fire and the shower pan is slightly different now.Same dimensions but layed up differently. They seem to think it will either drop right in or be able to be coerced into place though.
The pan lays into the slot provided annd then a surround is installed,screwed together and sealed to drain and contain the water.
I would just get the pan itself from Scamp and then buy surround material locally to avoid the shipping. The results should be the same.

What I find interesting is that the Scamp factory leaves a considerable amount of Rat Fur open to the shower!?!
The surround is installed to little window line.When I asked about this they said the Rat Fur is a Marine Headliner and is waterproof so it does not matter.
I do not feel too comfortable with this really as water seems able to then get between the surround and the fur and do bad things I would imagine.

So I would plan on covering the entire area with the surround which will likely be a Fiberglass Sheet they sell at Lowes.

The reall problem with all this is the price they are telling me to get the shower pan here!
Due to this I may well try to lay up my own pan in place and then I could customize it too.
I have friends in the trades who have suggested building a rubber membrane liner and then using some kind of tile that they swear they can install to endure the vibration and flexing of the trailer.
I am inclined to keep it simple though and I think the Scamp pan would be the easiest and most rugged despite the cost.

After that I will need to plumb it and install a drain pump as the grey water tank is so tight to the frame the water will have to be pumped uphill to clear the shower.Scamp uses a standard pump inline with a switch and one-way valve but I have seem a Marine pump designed to do this same thing that can sit directly under the pan and act as a trap and drain and has a float switch so it would be automatic. This contraption is also designed just for this purpose so I am thinking about using it.

I am having fun!
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
GREAT pics Ed! I have now seen the light, and this is the DREAM trailer down the road for me! hehe I do LOVE my Compact, but someday when there's a significant other in the picture, a 16' with this floorplan would be IDEAL! So congrats on your aquisition and good luck on your mods, I'll be watching to see how they go! Joe
Joseph,

This floorplan is what I have been looking for so I can keep the bed made as a bed and still have another area for sitting/working and have a bath too.

The price was just too good to pass this one up.


Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Ed. That's cool. Can I come visit the new arrival?

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Anytime! As long as I don't ever have to back it up your Driveway!!!!!

Ed
__________________

__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.