Well, I really broke in my finished trailer this weekend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Well, I really broke in my finished trailer this weekend

I just put the final little touches on the trailer this weekend, like a couple of storage bins and getting everything organized inside with the wife. I wanted to put the trailer in its regular position so we could put the car in with it, after keeping the car outside for a year and a half. NOT paying attention, I started wheeling the trailer outside; half way out I heard a metal crash sound, looked up and realized I had forgot to put the old style metal top vent down. It had hit the garage door in the up possition. I pulled it back in and checked it out and found I had ripped the hold down metal angle (the part the pull chain attaches to) completely off the vent. After a couple of choice words, I was able to drill out the 2 rivets and install 2 new ones. The vent lid was only bent a little and I was able to get it back into shape. This just showed me I need to go slow and think of all the steps when dealing with the trailer, whether hooking it up to go down the road or moving it around the garage. At least it has its first boo-boo out of the way! I was also thinking it was nice that I built it from scratch because I already had all the tools and knowledge to fix it.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ouch! How about a post-it note stuck to the door of the trailer reminding you to close the vent? I'm a checklist person, keeps me from making mistakes and/or forgetting something needed.

Glad it wasn't any worse... like tearing off the vent to the Fantastic Fan...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Registry
I'm in the process of making a laminated trailer checklist for hooking it up.

In the future I'm keeping the door window slightly cracked instead of the top vent. If I do forget to close it won't casue problems.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I had to re-rivet that same piece on mine!! It had just come apart, I guess maybe from fatigue.

I like rivets! I think they are great! 'Cos they can be done with one person. My wife/assistant is always busy!!!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Danny thats the most common mistake those of use the house the trailers inside make! From experence I can tell you that you will probable never make it again. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Awwww, just a little boo boo! Glad it wasn't much more. And yes this can be an issue for those of us that store our trailers inside.

For me it was the Barn Door wasn't up far enough. It was, but it slid back down a little bit before I got back into the truck to back up to the trailer. Two skid marks from the metal door across the roof of my, (then) brand new truck! I was sick. Now I push the 12 door up and slid a bolt in to keep the door from rolling back down. Something I hope to never forget to do.............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Red face

I once took a cap vent clear off. Sign said low and gave height should have checked. Well cap was to high.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks for all the comments. At least I don't feel so stupid when other people do it to. I just have to learn from it.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

that's not near as bad as trying to pull out of a campsite with the awning still out. DUH!! That was one I made in our early years of camping.
jerry and stelly hofelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
At least my vent cover is lexan so that it just folded under the door and popped back again. Maybe I can buff the paint scrape marks off of it someday.
BTW There was no one around so nobody else knows.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote