Well, it's time... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm glad he is doing well. As for the harness it's not necessary that he go to the big outside. He can wear it while you travel as a security measure to keep him from getting away from you.

What kind of trailer do you have? Could you make him a small enclosure in one of the corners where he would be safe and secure while you go in and out?
I don't have the trailer yet, waiting on the money to come thru, but I plan on a 16, 17' Casita or Scamp, Casita preferably. Money should come in about a month, then hope to buy within two weeks of that and be on the road byt the end of Feb. Don't know about enclosures or much yet, but he is obviously my boy and I have "no choice" but take him. Guess all in all, kinda glad he doesn't want anyone else...LOL, but it will work, all things do happen for a reason. He is my boy!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Then when you need to, such as when you are setting up a campsite, you can close him in safely.
These are words of wisdom. My cat rides in his crate in the car, and he stays there, in the car, until I am ready to move myself into the trailer. After camp is set up, I bring his crate into the rig and set it on the now not so useless rear seat in the back dinette. Thats where it lives. He comes out and his pad is on top of the crate.. thats where he sits mostly, looking out the window.

Even if you won't be walking him, get a harness anyway and ALWAYS make sure he is wearing it. I don't use it for walking so much as it is a fine "handle" to grab onto when you finally get close enough to grab him. No fur slip!

My little rat has escaped twice. Once, he slipped the door when I didn't get it closed right and he happily crawled up a tree right next to the trailer. Fortunately, it was at a rally and he was outnumbered. Easily snagged.

The second.. you MUST always be aware of little escape routes.. I left the screen slid back above the open kitchen window after running a line outside through it. A group of us were sitting by the fire one nite, and I caught what I thought was a rabbit out of the corner of my eye. I had two Beagles with me at the time. "Odd.. my dogs have no interest in the bunny.. wait.. thats NOT a bunny, it's my cat!"

He was visiting his dogs and was easy to grab.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you are travelling with a pet you might want to consider a safety harness. Protects you both if your pet goes flying. Many also serve as walking harnesses. One for a small dog might work for a cat. There are lots of them on the market, find one that works best for you. Most pet stores will let you try them on before you buy.

Here is an example:
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Pet-Vehicle-S...ess-/7367/2723/
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Another thing to think about when getting a harness, is too get one that the bands that go around the belly and the neck are adjustable.

I tried a small dog harness, they just don't fit a cat.

Bill K

Quote:
Well, he is home now, I am petting him. I have thought of a harness, but I don't want him to Want to go outside, so not to train him to like it. He ate good, drank a lot of water and has used the litter box for both movements. He hasn't purred yet, but is making little cute sounds when I pet him, almost heart breaking love sounds. He is home and will stay with me, I am apparently his momma and that is as is, what can we do. I am doing my best, he is my "bouy".
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We found the best halter for our cats were small dog figure eight. The whole body piece that goes around the body and neck are one piece so moves as the cat moves and makes it harder for the cat to back out of or slide from.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here's something you might want to look into, now that you're bringing him along:

There's a fellow named Sebastian who posts here (and has a blog), and he brings two cats with him while full-timing in (I think) a 16' or 17' Casita. One thing that I thought was neat was that he made an "outdoor viewing room" for his cats that is basically a screened box that slips into one of the windows and then projects out into the outdoors. Thus the cats get to be outside, yet are actually inside. I believe he removes it for traveling, then sets it up once he's settling into a new place.

If you look up his profile, It gives you a way to contact him and also links to his blog. I'm not going to post the link here, becuase I think searching profiles might be limited to members, and if so I don't want to post it for any non-members reading here (although if you are a non-member of course you are welcome to join!). But if you go to "Member List" and search on "Sebastian" you will find his profile.

His blog is great reading, especially if you have cats or are an active outdoors-person. I know I've enjoyed it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Great idea Raya. I've thought about making a cat window if I ever take a cat. I've seen them made out of an old window AC case. You can cut the vent sections out and rivet hardware cloth or Plexiglas in the holes. You can also box it in and use a cat door for them to enter it. I had considered the idea of using one for the litter box so it wouldn't take up trailer floor space.

I couldn't find the picture I was thinking of but it kind of looks like this;
cat window box